Options

photoshop filters equivalent

fraincsfraincs Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
edited February 9, 2006 in Finishing School
I've just saw a book at the library and they were giving one or 2 photoshop filter equivalent, what i mean by that is they were giving a filter name like
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A26 81A WARM[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

and then they were giving a trick how to achieve the equivalent in Post production with photoshop.

does anyone knows a website who are giving some tips about that kind of stuff? ive tried to google it without a lot of success.

Comments

• Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    An 81A is a standard warming filter that you can put on your camera. It is a very specific color, that "warms" a photo by a certain amount. It's most often used with film -- film can't automatically "white balance" like digital can.

You can walk into a photo store and ask for an 81A, and they'll sell you something. Photoshop can duplicate it by changing the "color temperature" of the photo -- making it more yellow/orange.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited February 8, 2006
    fraincs wrote:
    I've just saw a book at the library and they were giving one or 2 photoshop filter equivalent, what i mean by that is they were giving a filter name like
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A26 81A WARM[/FONT]

and then they were giving a trick how to achieve the equivalent in Post production with photoshop.
    does anyone knows a website who are giving some tips about that kind of stuff? ive tried to google it without a lot of success.

Any single colored filter can be easily be duplicated in any decent editing program with layers.

Use or load a copy of your photo.
    Add a raster layer above.
    Flood fill with target color (like yellow, red, orange, blue, etc.)
    Change blending mode on that top layer to "color."
    Alter the opacity to taste.
    Merge layers. Done.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    fraincs wrote:
    I've just saw a book at the library and they were giving one or 2 photoshop filter equivalent

Those 81A filters existed long before anybody thought digital was possible.

That must be an old book. You used to have to simulate them with Photoshop trix. Now you don't have to. In the latest Photoshop, you only have to:
    1. Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Photo Filter. Click past the first dialog box.
    2. Hit the Filter pop-up menu, choose "Warming Filter (81)"

That's it!

In Adobe Camera Raw, you just slide that White Balance slider back and forth until it's as warm or as cool as you want.
  • Options
    fraincsfraincs Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    thanks for the answers, its appreciate it, that book was about photoshop CS i think, they were actually giving hints about wich color would reproduce the effect of a particular filter.