Options

MLU, what situations would you use it for?

DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
edited February 9, 2006 in Technique
I was checking out the undutchables 300D hack.. which enables mirror lockup... but not in the same way as camera that come standard with MLU...

The way I understand it, it uses the timer... flips the mirror up on shutter press... and then trips the shutter after a set amount of time (user selectable)

What kind of shots or shooting conditions is MLU used for though??

Is a hack worth doing to have MLU?
Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    The rebel hack has been in use for a long time - do not fear it. MLU is wonderful for long tripodded long exposures - definitely use it for your landscapes, too, to be *sure* you have absolutely no shake due to mirror slap.
  • Options
    DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    thanks Andy..

downloaded and installed the undutchables hack this morning mwink.gif
    Andy wrote:
    The rebel hack has been in use for a long time - do not fear it. MLU is wonderful for long tripodded long exposures - definitely use it for your landscapes, too, to be *sure* you have absolutely no shake due to mirror slap.
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    DigitalDevoDigitalDevo Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    MLU is great! My suggestion is use it whenever you can. Night shots, long exposures, landscapes, macros (depending on your subject), etc. MLU+Remote or MLU+Timer is a super useful tool for getting the sharpest possible images out of camera.

Jamey
    "It is the Photographer that makes the equipment, not the equipment that makes the photographer." -JKS
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    Dani wrote:
    The way I understand it, it uses the timer... flips the mirror up on shutter press... and then trips the shutter after a set amount of time (user selectable)
    You got it about right. A quick tip that's been around is to leave the MLU enabled all the time. MLU only works in single shot mode. This way you can quickly 'disable' it for normal shooting by flipping over to continious mode and not holding the shutter button down very long. W/ the relatively slow 300D/DRebel, it isn't hard to time your shutter release so you only get one shot in continious drive. .. This way continious = normal shooting or continious, and single frame = MLU.

Also using the self timer mode + MLU isn't a bad deal if you don't have a remote release handy.
    Dani wrote:
    Is a hack worth doing to have MLU?
    I definitely think so. Having the ability to quickly set quality level by way of the Set button is another big plus.

In all I've actually yet to find a downside to running w/ the hacked firmware at all..
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    And with long focal length
    MLU is great! My suggestion is use it whenever you can. Night shots, long exposures, landscapes, macros (depending on your subject), etc. MLU+Remote or MLU+Timer is a super useful tool for getting the sharpest possible images out of camera.

Jamey

I have found the MLU is a great plus when working with long lenses. Just the thought of vibration can be seen in the reulting image and vibrations are magnified with longer lenses.

If your subject will sit still long enough for the MLU, use it!

Just my $.02 worth.:D
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited February 9, 2006
    MLU for longer night exposures (2+ sec.) isn't necessary. The longer the shot time, the less vibration is picked up in the exposure.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    I don't have a cable remote for my camera so I use camera timer for my nightshots
    And I take a lot of nightshots
    I use MLU to shorten the camera timer...I don't like waiting :D

Fred