Options

Some advice please...

rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
edited February 10, 2006 in Technique
Ok, I'm going to ask here for some suggestions. Tomorrow my brother in law is going to pay me to photograph him and my nephews for an anniversary present for my sister. And he wants a really nice one so he can blow it up really big:uhoh. Now I'm a bit nervous because this kind of photography isnt particularly my thing. But I said I'd do it, because he kept on nagging and nagging me.

I would like some advice on how to go about this, noting that, I have no studio lights or anything so it will almost have to be outdoors. I am using a fuji s5500 which only has a small pop up flash....I have access to two circular reflectors(not exactly sure how big they are though). I'm guessing I could go to a park late in the afternoon and use the reflectors to lighten some shadows...Have them on a park bench or the boys up a tree or something.

But I'm asking for some advice from people who have done this sort of thing because I really don't want to make a mess of this!

Thanks in advance...
www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Some ideas
    First, try to pick a subject/activity which is current to them. Are the boys into tree climbing? Baseball, games?

A favorite place the family likes to go?

Try to make the background supporting the subjects meaningful to the mon/wife.

I hope the weather cooperates...

If outdoors in open shade, try your pop up flash on high -- assuming you will be at least 5 to 7 feet away from them.

For a large blow up it might be best if you had the camera on the tripod, and used a remote -- just to avoid any possible camera shake.

Test first -- the distance you are from them, and the strength of your flash.

Also try without the flash in open shade, it might be OK without it.

Good Luck! And remember you can swop out heads in post processing if you keep everyone in the same poses for 5 or 6 shots.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Simple stuff you probably already know... don't shoot them in direct sunlight, it's way too harsh.

Try to avoid dappled shadows. Don't have trees or branches growing out of their heads, ears, shoulders.

Reflectors are good, but how will you support them? Do you have stands? If you have a remote for your camera, at least you could hold one reflector yourself as you trigger the camera. Play with the reflector(s) - see what throws the most light on their faces. Don't forget - throwing light on the tops of their heads, from behind, is a good thing - gives them some depth.

Since you'll be shooting wide, make sure the exposure isn't grabbing the background instead of the people/faces.

Just some stuff that you may or may not find useful.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    Thanks guys.

Yes I know it all sounds pretty simple but sometimes I forget. I think I will be using my film SLR as well, because I'm really unsure what large prints from the fuji will look like. I might end up using the fuji for some test shotss and then when i have it good use the film. The boys ae into anything that doesnt involve sitting still...lol

I'm thinking of doing them in the same park in the same spots they had the wedding photos taken. And I'm hoping to relax them so it isn't too formal but I dont know how easy this will be for my brother in law.

But thankyou for your help! More practice which is never a bad thing:):
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso