Options

tripod use

1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited February 10, 2006 in Technique
Hi,

I am new to this camera, a Nikon D50 with 18-55mm F3.5-4.5 G ED Nikkor Lense. My question regards applying the convention for tripod use:

"If your shutter speed is slower than the reciprocal of the focal length of your lens, you must use a tripod."

Do I use the value of the lense or the 35mm equivalent?

Thanks,

AndyW

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 10, 2006
    1andyw wrote:
    Hi,

I am new to this camera, a Nikon D50 with 18-55mm F3.5-4.5 G ED Nikkor Lense. My question regards applying the convention for tripod use:

"If your shutter speed is slower than the reciprocal of the focal length of your lens, you must use a tripod."

Thanks,

AndyW
    If in doubt, put it on a tripod. It's just a guideline anyway, so don't sweat it. I hope you're not breaking out the calculator to check your reciprocal!

Anytime you get close to that slow of a shutterspeed, you'll get better results tripod mounted. That being said, I know some photographers with pretty darn steady hands who can hand hold a 50mm in low light at 1/20 or 1/30 second with acceptable results.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    1andyw wrote:

The 35mm equivalent, so 1.5 times the value of your lens with your Nikon D50. But as Erik stated, it's just a rule of thumb. Some can get amazingly sharp shots breaking that rule, and others have to rely on a tripod sooner. Working on your technique (what works for me: tuck elbows in, relax, breath in, then breath out and while exhaling roll your finger over the shutter in stead of pressing with force) by practicing a lot does really help.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    Also just as important as a tripod is the remote shutter release. Its not hard at all to introduce just the smallest amount of movement with you finger on the camera.