Options

Into the Sunset

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited August 24, 2004 in Wildlife
This is a landscape I have from the Wide Angle Challenge. It's also a picture of my dog, Red. I didn't choose this because I thought the composition was better on my entry of the tree after the fire. I hope I made the right choice since my entry didn't make the finals. Sigh.
Any comments?

7.1mm=35mm
7666052-L.jpg
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    This is a landscape I have from the Wide Angle Challenge. It's also a picture of my dog, Red. I didn't choose this because I thought the composition was better on my entry of the tree after the fire. I hope I made the right choice since my entry didn't make the finals. Sigh.
    Any comments?
    7666052-S.jpg
    7.1mm=35mm

Snappy, are you kidding me? The owner of three dogs? The person who grew up reading sappy dog stories? The person who would buy that picture if she had the money?

Is that really your dog?

Oh, Snappy, why didn't you say something, that is beautiful, IMO.

Of course, I am only a lifelong dog lover who tends to the sentimental.

Ask, Lynne, hehehe, also a dog lover.

Good gosh, Snappy, is that really a photograph, looks kind of like a painting.

I am going to look at it again. I don't know about the judges, they are spot on with some of their choices and out in left field with some, IMO. So, I don't know if this one would have been taken to the finals.

But I love it, just personally. I mean I like your tree, love your tree, but I am a real sucker for this kind of thing.

(Wonder which one they could have not picked, to pick this?)

ginger (Look at the gait on your dog, the heck with the composition, it isn't bad, might be good, but that is a dream dog.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Any comments?

7.1mm=35mm
    7666052-S.jpg

I *love* this photograph.

It's always hard picking the right picture for the challenge. I think I'm doing something wrong myself. I have a pile of pictures to choose from, and pick the one I like best. This doesn't always work, because the judge & guest pick the shots they best. It's all a matter of personal preference.

I think the shot you had entered was also a great entry. It's a tough call as to which one is better. I feel that both your "wide angle" photos are amazing, and would be proud to call them my own.

Don't get discouraged. I'm trying not to myself, but its hard. The last 3 photos I've submitted haven't done anything. Maybe I need to take some time off the challenges and just take pictures that make me happy?

Keep shooting and sharing,
    Dave
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    we all need to keep entering, andy is dying that there are so few????

g
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    Thank you, thank you, Ginger and Dave
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Snappy, are you kidding me? The owner of three dogs? The person who grew up reading sappy dog stories? The person who would buy that picture if she had the money?

Is that really your dog?

Oh, Snappy, why didn't you say something, that is beautiful, IMO.

Of course, I am only a lifelong dog lover who tends to the sentimental.

Ask, Lynne, hehehe, also a dog lover.

Good gosh, Snappy, is that really a photograph, looks kind of like a painting.

I am going to look at it again. I don't know about the judges, they are spot on with some of their choices and out in left field with some, IMO. So, I don't know if this one would have been taken to the finals.

But I love it, just personally. I mean I like your tree, love your tree, but I am a real sucker for this kind of thing.

(Wonder which one they could have not picked, to pick this?)

ginger (Look at the gait on your dog, the heck with the composition, it isn't bad, might be good, but that is a dream dog.)

You are both so kind. I'm glad you like my photo. Yes, that is my dog, Red. Ginger, you saw a portrait of him. He is just one of my dogs. The other is Roxy, a rottwieler. I was concerned that he was dead center, but really that was the only way to get the trail like that. We went on a little hike. Actually, he rarely stays on the trail. He is quite a hunter. Has a great time charging through the brush. We got both of the dogs vaccinated for rattlesnake bite because you never know what will happen the way Red plunges into the bushes sniffing out anything that moves. I love the photo myself. I love the colors. Ginger, if you want a copy I'll make the original available for you to order from Smugmug. Thank you both for your kind words. Makes me feel real good. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    I'm interested in your workflow for this shot. The colors are great, and the exposure is perfect. Usually, when I shoot into a sunset, the foreground is very dark. Like Ginger said, it looks like a painting.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    That is right with me and shooting into the sunrise/set. This morning, it was rise and water, a water pond, stream, place around the corner. I didn't like a single shot, not one.

The sun showed over a cloud, was better before the sun, after the sun, it was all over, really, more bad shots than I have seen in a long time.

Snappy was that sky like that?

I would love it if you would make that photo available so I could buy a copy, how do you do that?

But I would love it. I tried to get my daughter to look at it, too. But she is busy getting ready to go out of town, business. She has pugs now, but she has a copy of that old picture of the dog standing over a sheep, guarding it.

Your photo has that quality, sentimental. Maybe you could just go for another stroll in the next ten days, that is a shame, must be a song that goes with the dog.
    I am glad you are happy that we like the photo. I didn't think my photo would get picked this time, so many good ones. I just put up the one I liked, I knew it was good, but this time there were so many that I didn't think my "good" was enough to cut it.

Did you all notice that I got picked twice, as a subject once and as the photographer in the other one. I love that subject, the generic little girl.
    That is what is good about your dog there, Snappy, it is not "your" dog, it looks like everybody's dog, at one time or another.

I remember that you sent me something about how to do the backgrounds for the dog portraits, and I filed it. You have great dogs.

But when you just see a dog like that going down a path and all, it is all dogs, not a dog, as in a portrait.

But I can see why you didn't enter it, he is your dog, I am reticent to enter my dogs, too. I have good pictures of them, but I think they are dog pictures. I really do think mine are, but you really captured something in your dog and with his gait like it is with the leg up and all. Still you would have thought of it as "your" dog. As Lynn said this morning, something about a learning experience.

I would really like it if I could order a print, Snappy, not a large one, I don't know which I would order, nothing over an 8 X 10.

I love that dog, and it is really beautiful where you live. I need a car to access my places, they might be close, but not that close.

I did get two girls about 10 or 8, at church, before Bill left today, something was going on............but there are no songs for that, that I know of. Or if there are, I just don't see using them. In fact, I would like to sit back and be a judge.............no way I can come up with another photograph. With Bill back at work, most of my places over used, I was so lucky on the photo this time.

I just remembered a sunset I did while Bill and I were still out having fun, about a week ago. It had that quality. I think maybe if the sun is low enough, after the sunset, or before the sunrise, that may be the trick???

Later,

ginger
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 23, 2004
    7666052-S.jpg

This is a lovely image Snappy - I like the way the dog leads my eye into the image and the lovely sunset.1drink.gif I didn't make the finals either ne_nau.gif We'll both be fine:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    Like it too Snappy! It's like an end of a movie..i can just hear the voice-over tell something that makes me cry, haha!

The detail in the foreground looks great- we all know that's not easy! I also loved your challenge-tree and in my opinion we all win every week!
    It's a challenge.
    Did you challenge yourselve with this?
    Are YOU happy with the results?

See?

thumb.gif
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    I've got cats, and I still think it's a lovely picture :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 24, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I've got cats, and I still think it's a lovely picture :D
    That sounds like Really High Praise, I think.......:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    Thanks all...
    pathfinder wrote:
    That sounds like Really High Praise, I think.......:D

Thanks to all of you animal lovers, of cats, dogs and lions. You really keep me smiling. rolleyes1.gif

I used to have a Siamese cat who would walk with me. I can picture her trotting along that trail with her tail held straight up. She loved to come along when the kids went out on Halloween and I would worry about her out there with all those kids. She just disappeared one day. I don't know if someone stole her or what. We had had her for 6 or 7 years. She was a very smart cat and she would "talk" to me in her own way. She was very vocal.

We could use a cat around here to catch mice and gophers, but I haven't gotten one because we have so many coyotes around. We also have foxes. It's not a good place for cats. Maybe if someone could give me an older, experienced "barn cat". I don't know. Red is a good hunter. He catches mice and rabbits. He digs giant holes going after gophers, but I don't think he's ever caught one. He is persistant though. Sometimes I think he'd dig all the way to China if we didn't stop him.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    About the processing...
    dkapp wrote:
    I'm interested in your workflow for this shot. The colors are great, and the exposure is perfect. Usually, when I shoot into a sunset, the foreground is very dark. Like Ginger said, it looks like a painting.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

Dave,
    I didn't do much at all. I had the camera on "program" mode, so I aimed into the dark bushes to set the exposure then reframed. The sun was not down yet, but it was way over to the right. There was actually a lot of light, as you can tell by the shadows. I selected the land area separately and darkened it. Then I selected the sky and used curves to darken the clouds and bring them out. The sky was orange, but not as deep as you see it in the picture.

Ginger, this spot is not right by my house. I have to drive to get to it. It's not far though. I had to find a spot where I could walk up a hill *toward* the sunset. From my house, we are on the west side of the hill. When we hike up behind the house, we face east, toward that sunrise that was in my other picture. Of course, all the while you're hiking up the hill, the beautiful open view to the west is right there *behind* you. :D