cheap batteries

cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
edited February 15, 2006 in Cameras
Someone suggested generic batteries for my Xt. I found some Impact brand batteries on BH and they are only $10 cheaper. Does anyone have some good ones that may be cheaper......and are safe. I mean they say dont get cheap ones because they dont have safety mechs to stop overload.

Thanks.
====My Gear=====
Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
Wedding Photographer
www.cwphotos.net

Comments

• mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    cwphotos wrote:
    Someone suggested generic batteries for my Xt. I found some Impact brand batteries on BH and they are only $10 cheaper. Does anyone have some good ones that may be cheaper......and are safe. I mean they say dont get cheap ones because they dont have safety mechs to stop overload.

Thanks.
    Only $10 cheaper than the battery Canon sells?

Personally I've never understood the point of cheap batteries vs. OEM. I guess I'm chicken because I don't want to take chances with hundreds of dollars worth of DSLR to only save a few dollars.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    These $12 batteries have been fine for me.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    The cheap one in my 20D out lasts the newer canon brand.
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    I bought a generic brand battery from Photobug a while back. Works just as good and as long if not longer than the battery that my 20D came with.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=11038411
    One example of many. I'm sure for every person that's had a problem their are 20 or more folks that never had. Of course when you have a problem then how much does it cost to correct vs. just buying the right battery? I'm not sure why so many folks would spend so much money buying a DSLR and then risk it with a non-approved, possibly warranty voiding part.
  • NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    I bought a generic BP511 knock off back when I first bought my Canon G3 over 2 years ago. I've since used it in my DRebel as well. Works great. Although I think it is starting to fade faster than my Canon OEM batteries. The Canon batteries seem to hold a charge for longer nowadays after what has to be a few hundred charge/discharge cycles. But considering the amount of money I saved, it was worth it many times over in the long run. I could have 6-8 generics for the cost of one Canon OEM. That's a no-brainer in my book..