Unread problems

cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
edited August 24, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Somehow in the last week or so the behavior of the thread_dot_new.gif and the forum_new.gif markings has changed. Before if I replied to a post the s/w was smart enough to know that I had already read my own words, but now the new post flags come on and I have to leave the forum (traversing up) and then go back and reread my own post for the s/w to turn it off. What was changed?
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    nod.gif I've noticed something change in New Posts in the last few days. Now it marks as unread, threads I've just read or have actually posted to. By mark as unread, I mean that the slug is still in bold. Conversely, again from the New Posts page, some threads that I haven't read have unbold slug lines.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2004
    Me three!!!
    I've been noticing this also. I just figured that I didn't have zone alarm setup right after my reinstall, and it was mucking up the flow of cookies.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 28, 2004
    I was just gonna post this. I usually navigate via my User CP, which now tells me there's new posts... um, after I just posted.
    headscratch.gif
    What gives?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited July 29, 2004
    Related issue???
    I would swear that I used to be able to reply to a a thread, submit my reply, hit the Back button on my browser twice, and I would be looking at the thread and my new post would be at the bottom of the page. My browser no longer does that. I think this change started about the same time I started having trouble with the read/unread stuff.
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    I would swear that I used to be able to reply to a a thread, submit my reply, hit the Back button on my browser twice, and I would be looking at the thread and my new post would be at the bottom of the page. My browser no longer does that. I think this change started about the same time I started having trouble with the read/unread stuff.
    The back button should not do a refresh so if you had that behavior before it was a bug in your browser.
    edited July 29, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    The back button should not do a refresh so if you had that behavior before it was a bug in your browser.
    I thought that's what it did but I could be wrong ne_nau.gif
    edited July 29, 2004
    regardless of browser, back button, whatever, there is definitely a dgrin issue. It just doesn't work like before. You can refresh after you've viewed a post, and it still shows as unread. Someone must have tipped over the cookie jar. :D
    Erik

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 29, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    regardless of browser, back button, whatever, there is definitely a dgrin issue. It just doesn't work like before. You can refresh after you've viewed a post, and it still shows as unread. Someone must have tipped over the cookie jar. :D
    Hmmm.... Wonder if this happened when I upgraded vBulletin to the latest release? I'll have to investigate on vBulletin.com to see if anyone else is reporting this.
    edited July 29, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Hmmm.... Wonder if this happened when I upgraded vBulletin to the latest release? I'll have to investigate on vBulletin.com to see if anyone else is reporting this.
    are dgrin and advrider on the same release of vBulletin? because I don't have the problem over there.
    Erik

edited July 30, 2004
    It's working now!
    woohoo
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    edited July 30, 2004
    not for me it isn't. I just posted to a thread, then went to my CP and it still showed as unread.
    Erik

edited July 30, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    not for me it isn't. I just posted to a thread, then went to my CP and it still showed as unread.
    Hey, you're right... Something is still funky ne_nau.gif

I just noticed threads and forums being marked as read more consistently than earlier today. But my posts still show up as unread and I saw a thread get marked as read when it shouldn't have.

Please disregard my previous post... I must have been high or something headscratch.gif
    edited August 2, 2004
    bump - still funky... any progress on this?
    Erik

edited August 3, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    bump - still funky... any progress on this?
    Strange that ADVrider and dgrin use the same software, except dgrin's is a few dot releases more up-to-date, but dgrin is much slower even though it's much smaller.

I am going to do some maintenance on it tonight and see what shakes.
    edited August 5, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    are dgrin and advrider on the same release of vBulletin? because I don't have the problem over there.
    No, ADVrider is a few releases back. In fact it's 3.0 beta release candidate 4, which is a long way back. But it's working and very difficult to upgrade because it's so big, so I haven't messed with a good thing.

Last night I rebuilt dgrin's indexes, optimized tables, etc. I hope it's faster now and stays that way.
    edited August 5, 2004
    baldy, i hate to say it, as you are the man for doing this, but i don't think its fixed. just checked - posted to a thread, then clicked to user cp, and it showed as unread.

i haven't had any speed problems though, just that pesky unread thing. Am i the only one whining about this or experiencing it??? if so, please ignore me.

thanks again bald one!!! thumb.gif
    Erik

edited August 5, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    baldy, i hate to say it, as you are the man for doing this, but i don't think its fixed. just checked - posted to a thread, then clicked to user cp, and it showed as unread.

i haven't had any speed problems though, just that pesky unread thing. Am i the only one whining about this or experiencing it??? if so, please ignore me.

thanks again bald one!!! thumb.gif
    It is real and it is a PITA although not yet a PITA. I also noticed that the unread flag behavior in sticky threads has some special weirdnesses also. I have seen the flags turn off on several sticky threads just by reading one. And the flags inside the threads do not turn off for hours or a day after reading.

The speed problem seems to be fixed.
    edited August 12, 2004
    just wanted to give this a little bump...

oh, and i think speed problems may be back? I haven't had time to surf both dgrin and advrider at the same time in quite a while, so this may not be a good indicator... but right now, i'm posting twice on advrider to one on dgrin.
    Erik

• pecheneypecheney Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2004
    Vbullewtin versu PHBB UBB, etc
    Hey, vBulletin vs PHBB? I am getting ready to start 4 different boards and out of $$ sake was curious why I should use vBulletin when PHBB is available? These are all for profit ventures and I am looking for a lot of hierracrchial functionailty, persmission-based control settings, etc. I have researched and both seem to act like they are the way to go. Any help is greatly appreciated! thumb.gif
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2004
    I am glad this thread is here, I have been having problems with this for weeks, but thought I was the only one. I am constantly missing threads because it is marking threads as read that I haven't seen, and not marking threads as read even though I have read them, refreshed and backed up, and refreshed, and refrehed again. The later I come back and there is a new post to it and it is marked as read.

It has gotten to where I have to look at the times things are posted and look at anything with a newer date than my last visit. I miss stuff all of the time.
    edited August 16, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I am glad this thread is here, I have been having problems with this for weeks, but thought I was the only one. I am constantly missing threads because it is marking threads as read that I haven't seen, and not marking threads as read even though I have read them, refreshed and backed up, and refreshed, and refrehed again. The later I come back and there is a new post to it and it is marked as read.

It has gotten to where I have to look at the times things are posted and look at anything with a newer date than my last visit. I miss stuff all of the time.
    wow, i haven't noticed a problem where it marks unread as read. is it getting worse?
    Erik

edited August 22, 2004
    Onethumb has been working on the speed of drin tonight. Feel better now?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Onethumb has been working on the speed of drin tonight. Feel better now?

I waited to respond. Yes, it does feel faster. Thanks thumbsup, it had slowly been becoming more frustrating. Maybe you can work your magic on ADV.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited August 24, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Somehow in the last week or so the behavior of the thread_dot_new.gif and the forum_new.gif markings has changed. Before if I replied to a post the s/w was smart enough to know that I had already read my own words, but now the new post flags come on and I have to leave the forum (traversing up) and then go back and reread my own post for the s/w to turn it off. What was changed?
    Just wanted to mention that this is still badly broken.
    edited August 24, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Just wanted to mention that this is still badly broken.
    yeah, speed is back thumb.gif , but markings problems linger
    Erik