Options

Attachment too big

Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited February 15, 2006 in Dgrin Forum Support
We recently moved into our capital city and had to switch ISP's so I haven't had a chance yet to set up some server space to upload my photo's. I want to post a picture but I have to do it by attaching it to my thread and even reduced to 400 x533 @72 PPI it's still way too big and I don't know how to reduce the file size any farther and still maintain a decent viewing size.

Can anyone coach me?

Bob
See with your Heart

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    We recently moved into our capital city and had to switch ISP's so I haven't had a chance yet to set up some server space to upload my photo's. I want to post a picture but I have to do it by attaching it to my thread and even reduced to 400 x533 @72 PPI it's still way too big and I don't know how to reduce the file size any farther and still maintain a decent viewing size.

Can anyone coach me?

Bob

When saving a JPG file, you usually have the option to define the "quality" of the image. Unless I'm wrong (and if so, I'm hoping someone will say so) this is a rough definition of the compression applied to the file. With hight compression comes smaller file size, at the cost of increased number and size of JPG compression artifacts. The compromise, then, is between file size and image quality.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    make it less than 800px max on the long site and less than 150kb you should be fine.
  • Options
    Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Thankyou
    When saving a JPG file, you usually have the option to define the "quality" of the image. Unless I'm wrong (and if so, I'm hoping someone will say so) this is a rough definition of the compression applied to the file. With hight compression comes smaller file size, at the cost of increased number and size of JPG compression artifacts. The compromise, then, is between file size and image quality.

Hope this helps.

Duh, it's so simple when you think about it but I never would have thought of it. I'm so accustomed to saving everything at the best possible quality but ya, it makes sense --- run the optomizer.
    Thanks Scott.

I'm getting a new hard drive next week and after the formating and reloading of my software is complete I'm hoping to open a Smugmug account and that'll solve the server space problems.

Bob
    See with your Heart
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    Smugmug sites are great and easy to use. If you do decide to get one here is a coupon code for $5 off. kg3spujUW9dlA
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto