Options

Zhang Ziyi on Ice

PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
edited August 24, 2004 in Finishing School
I was feeling artsy today. I heavily manipulated an image of Zhang Ziyi. The original can be found here (last one on the left). Thoughts or comments?
7636766-L.jpg
Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    I was feeling artsy today. I heavily manipulated an image of Zhang Ziyi. The original can be found here (last one on the left). Thoughts or comments?
    Very cool! excuse the pun... I like it..

7636766-S.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 23, 2004
    7636766-L.jpg
    Cool - Now you did it!!! Now you've gotta tell us HOW you did it!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    It's beautiful...
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    Thank you for the kind words everyone. Making this image took several hours. If I remember correctly, I used the Plastic filter to start out. Then I killed all the channels except for Blue. Then I moved back to RGB and started painting in the shadows and highlights with my tablet. Once I was happy (and tired) I moved on with a bunch of smudging. And I do mean a bunch of smudging. And damonfff thanks for the post at FM. I thought I would get more feeedback over there due to the traffic but I shoulda stuck with good ole Dgrin. I'll take quality over quantity anytime.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    PDG, that's pdg. I really like the effect. Not sure what you mean about smudging. I guess I'll have to try it and see for myself. I'm toying with ideas for a band poster, this one's worth a try. Your execution is excellent.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    PDG, that's pdg. I really like the effect. Not sure what you mean about smudging. I guess I'll have to try it and see for myself. I'm toying with ideas for a band poster, this one's worth a try. Your execution is excellent.
    Sorry for the vagueness. A lot of this was actual drawing. I used primarily the brush tool with pressure sensitivity on. I sampled the darkest colors in the pic for my hard lines and the mid for, well, the mids. :D

Afterwards, in order to get the smoothness going, I used the Smudge Tool in Photoshop CS. It's hidden away in there somewhere along with the Blur tool (eyedrop looking thingee). The smudge tool really pulled the image together nicely.

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    You knw what just clicked? This is a legitmate work of art on your part. It's your interpretation of the original photo, not just the use of some PS effects that anyone could recreate. It's a testimony to your creativity and your skill. I couldn't hope to replicate the results - the result is uniquely the result of your talent. And it's wonderful. bowdown.gif Thanks for sharing it, PDG.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    7636766-S.jpg
    clap.gifbowdown.gifclapbowdown.gifclap words fail me.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    You knw what just clicked? This is a legitmate work of art on your part. It's your interpretation of the original photo, not just the use of some PS effects that anyone could recreate. It's a testimony to your creativity and your skill. I couldn't hope to replicate the results - the result is uniquely the result of your talent. And it's wonderful. bowdown.gif Thanks for sharing it, PDG.
    cmr164 wrote:
    clap.gifbowdown.gifclapbowdown.gifclap words fail me.
    Nicest words anyone's ever spoken about my work. Thank you. I mean it. thumb.gif