Options

Is this to dark

gopher78gopher78 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited January 31, 2004 in Technique
I took this picture using a canon 10D on a portrait setting. I've had trouble with outside shots coming out with this blue tinge. I can manually lighten it up with software but can anyone tell me why it comes out like this. Is there a different setting I should be using? I'm not real comfortable using anything but the preset settings at this time but I'll try anything. thanks

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2004
    Why would you use the portrait setting for a landscape? Try one on "green box" setting and let's see it.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    gopher78gopher78 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Why would you use the portrait setting for a landscape? Try one on "green box" setting and let's see it.
    I'm sorry, it was on landscape not portrait.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2004
    gopher78 wrote:
    I took this picture using a canon 10D on a portrait setting. I've had trouble with outside shots coming out with this blue tinge. I can manually lighten it up with software but can anyone tell me why it comes out like this. Is there a different setting I should be using? I'm not real comfortable using anything but the preset settings at this time but I'll try anything. thanks
    Try setting the white balance manually. If the white balance was set to auto, try daylight or cloudy if you don't want to set it manualy. Basically you match the white balance setting for the lighting conditions. And manual white balance is good for fine tuned adjustments. You may at times still need to color correct when post processing.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 31, 2004
    gopher78 wrote:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=210&stc=1

It looks like this image was taken under an overcast sky - I do not see shadows or a blue sky and thus this scene probably IS slightly bluer than the white you would see with sunlight.
    Like Shay said - reset the lighting balance on your camera - To do this press the AW-WB button just to the right of your pentaprism on the top of the 10D. Then turn the big dial on the back of your camera as you watch the LCD on TOP of the 10D ( YOU must have this big dial switch turned on with the lever switch on the back also )- you will see a series of pictures AWB --- daylight (sunburst ) ---building with shade ----cloud( I think this is the one you wanted ) ---light Bulb(Tungsten light) ---a BIG K ( to set the color temperature )--- two skinny triangles for a custom setting ---- a zig-zag line for flash --- and a glowing tube for flourescent -

This is taken verbatim from page 50 of the manual - It also says that in the BASIC zone ( ie automatic mode which includes portrait and landscape ) that AWB ( automatic white balance) is selected automaticlly. In other words - to get to chose how you balance the light you have to use the CREATIVE zone as Canon calls it - ie: you must shoot in program mode, aperature or shutter preffered mode or best of all manual mode if you wish to avoid the camera choosing the automatic white balancing for you.

Give this a try and let this forum know if you continue to have this blue tinge in your pictures. And then show us your new creations.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin