Options

Not sure where to post this...

ptlashptlash Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited February 16, 2006 in Technique
Hey everybody! I have been a lurker for quite some time now. I have not been taking pictures for long, but I am trying to learn the skill. It has always been something that I enjoyed greatly! My husband bought me the Canon 300D. I am still learing, but in order to get some practice under my belt I have 3 friends that are pregnant and want me to take some pictures of them during pregnancy and after the babies are born. I would really appreciate some adivce on where to begin, and what conditions to look for when taking the pictures. I won't be doing my first session for a couple weeks and she wants to do them outside. I am on a budget, but if there are things that I will absolutely need let me know! PLEASE HELP ME! I want to do my best considering my experience! Thanks so much.:D

Ashley

Comments

• Options
    HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    Overcast days are nice for outside portraits.

For nice indoor portraits, put your subject by a window.

Press shutter. Repeat as necessary. thumb.gif
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 16, 2006
    Ashley, welcome aboard. I'm not going to give you answers, rather I'll point you in the right direction. We have a great search tool and some excellent portrait discussions here. Start there and refine your wide open question.

Also, what's "not long"? It's hard for us to give you non-insulting device without some samples of where you're at. Definitely go practice before your first "shoot" with the pregnant ladies. I'm pretty sure they won't be the most patient subjects!
    lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2006
    ptlash wrote:
    I have 3 friends that are pregnant and want me to take some pictures of them during pregnancy Ashley

You've got a big first job since pregnant women are very special and beautiful thumb.gif I used to think the "Pregnant Glow" was just an old saying but not anymore. Generally something in the eyes and lips. I don't know, but it's your job to capture the "Glow" for posterity.

Try to get more than just stand up profiles showing the belly (although they probably want these too). Accent the face with a trace of the obvious. Try sitting in a chair by a window (using that light as well as fill) looking past the camera.

Maybe someone that really knows what their doing will chime in :D

Good Luck
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    ptlashptlash Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2006
    thanks
    thanks for you advice. I realize now that I did not give you a very good idea of where I am in photography. The only experience I have is taking pictures all through high school and since then. Over the last 6 or 7 months have found my self out and about saying to myself...That would be a great picture. Especially when we are with friends. 1drink.gif I appreciate your advice and will definetly do some practicing before and will post some pics up here to get some feedback. I am looking forward to learing more! THanks again!