Options

vote on challenge judging procedure

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 25, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
would you like the challenge co-judge to be

1. picked by the challegne host (me)
2. automatically be the winner of the previous challenge

frankly, it's hard work for me to get folks to agree to be challenge co-judge, so having the co-judge be the winner of the prior challenge would make my life easier.

remember, the co-judge must also be willing to comment and critique on every single entry into the challenge.

it's up to you, the participants, so please vote, this poll will be active for 7 days.

please choose the co-judging format for the challenges 27 votes

challenge host (andy) picks the co-judge
29% 8 votes
previous challenge winner serves as co-judge
70% 19 votes

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    I really don't mind either way, it would take someone else out of the challenge though!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    I'm with the Gubbsie, I don't much mind either way. I do enjoy the perspective of talented photographers who wouldn't otherwise be here. Their comments are extremely informative and have helped me grow. But I recognize it's a burden on you, Andy, to round up a fresh one every fortnight.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    I voted for the previous challenge winner, but I'd really like to see guest hosts as well when we can recruit them.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I voted for the previous challenge winner, but I'd really like to see guest hosts as well when we can recruit them.

i like that idea, rutt :D but it's hard to implement. i picked sid this time, mainly becuase i couldn't get one of my colleagues to commit in time. i love sid, he'll be great - wasn't second choice or anything it's just i hate to take him outta the competition, y'know ??? hheheh
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    I prefer having a pro make comments. If I ever won a challenge (by mistake, it would be the only way!) I wouldn't have nearly the constructive comments to make on everyone else's work. Not everyone here is a pro; I think that a lot is learned by getting pro comments. Also, we hear each other's opinions all the time, that's what this site is good at. I like hearing a different voice.

If folks have a problem with Andy picking the pros, why not convince a professional that you know to volunteer? I'm sure that Andy wouldn't mind not having to round up a friend once in a while.

We need to remember also that the judges only pick the final 10; that leaves a lot of room for error. It's all of us who determine the winner.

I had mentioned before about having a separate vote for "favorite" shot, or something like that. I thought it would be good because there are some phenominal shots that don't win (or even make the finals) because they don't fit the challenge as well as another one, and some people get offended by that. But recently I had thought attitudes were improving. Maybe I was wrong about that...
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    I voted for the previous challenge winner with some reservation. I know how hard it can be to get judges, I have to do it all of the time for our clubs monthly contest and pros for our big annual regional contest and it isn't easy to find people willing.

It is important to remember (in my opinion) that one persons opinion and tastes are just as valid as anothers. This includes YOURS. If you have enough talent to win one of these challenges, then your comments and opinions are just as valid as another persons.

On the other hand, some people will hold back their opinions because they are affraid to offend someone or hurt their feelings. If we the common folk that frequent this forum are going to do it when we win, we must be diplomatic but honest in our aproach or the learning experience we are all trying to share will become less valid.

I have always been the type of person that tries to pitch in and help and it gets me in over my head sometimes, but it makes me aware of the work Andy puts into this thing. I think we all should be willing to share the burden with him when we win.

Easy for me to say,:D , I haven't won one yet.
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    I don't see why we cannot have our cake and eat it too.
    The "occassional" guest judge would always be welcome in my book and put less strain on Andy.
    Either way, I am cool; so next time you make a poll please put a place for us fence sitters to make a mark .rolleyes1.gif

Tim
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    I don't see why we cannot have our cake and eat it too.
    The "occassional" guest judge would always be welcome in my book and put less strain on Andy.
    Either way, I am cool; so next time you make a poll please put a place for us fence sitters to make a mark .rolleyes1.gif

Tim

Tim, I agree with you, an occasional guest judge would be great. But, what would happen to the challenge winner who would have been guest judge? Would they have to bow out? Would we have 3 judges that week? I think it would be a great learning experience for the challenge winners to be on the "other side". Some people are really very talented, but lack the self confidence to recognize their talent. When they win, they are surprised. Being a judge would help them to round out their talent by learning to assess the merits of photos based on the judging criteria, not just their emotions. This will help them to make better pictures themselves. Some people may be better at judging than others, but that too will come with experience.

I'm torn here. I want to help Andy out and I see the plus side of winners being judges. But, I would also like to have professional input from time to time. What do you say Andy? Can you see a way to have a guest judge on occasion? I havn't voted yet. Can't decide.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    :feelgood beer.gif Y'all are great, nice posts.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Tim, I agree with you, an occasional guest judge would be great. But, what would happen to the challenge winner who would have been guest judge? Would they have to bow out? Would we have 3 judges that week? I think it would be a great learning experience for the challenge winners to be on the "other side". Some people are really very talented, but lack the self confidence to recognize their talent. When they win, they are surprised. Being a judge would help them to round out their talent by learning to assess the merits of photos based on the judging criteria, not just their emotions. This will help them to make better pictures themselves. Some people may be better at judging than others, but that too will come with experience.

I'm torn here. I want to help Andy out and I see the plus side of winners being judges. But, I would also like to have professional input from time to time. What do you say Andy? Can you see a way to have a guest judge on occasion? I havn't voted yet. Can't decide.

How about this:

The winner will be a judge for the next challenge. If Andy is able to schedule a guest judge, he will be able to sit out on the voting. This will give him a chance to participate in the challenge, or sit out and enjoy some well deserved down time. The guest judge & winner will decide on the top 10 and make comments on thel entries. I feel if Andy continues at this pace, he will get burnt out (if he's not already). This could be a good way for him to get back in the game.

Any thoughts?

Dave
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    How about this:

The winner will be a judge for the next challenge. If Andy is able to schedule a guest judge, he will be able to sit out on the voting. This will give him a chance to participate in the challenge, or sit out and enjoy some well deserved down time. The guest judge & winner will decide on the top 10 and make comments on thel entries. I feel if Andy continues at this pace, he will get burnt out (if he's not already). This could be a good way for him to get back in the game.

Any thoughts?

Dave
    That seems like a very good idea.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    my "andy get's time off" indicator just went off
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

dkapp wrote:
    How about this:

Any thoughts?

Dave
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    I prefer the guest judges, but I'm OK with whatever y'all (southern contraction:D ) want to do. Certainly an occasional guest judge would be nice. Andy, again let me thank you for the time you give. It is very appreciated.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    How about this:

Any thoughts?

Dave

Good idea Dave, looks like Andy goes for too.
    clap.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2004
    I think if we can find a great pro guest host sometimes, we should just make room. Perhaps there should be 3 judges. Perhaps Andy should take a vacation (probably that would feel good.) I know it's hard to recruit (I tried to recruit Elsa Dorfman for a challenge guest host and I failed even though she is a good friend.) But if/when we do succeed, I think we should go for it.
    If not now, when?