Options

EV setting

1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited February 19, 2006 in Technique
Hi,

I replaced my PS Fuji with a D50, with which I am well pleased.

The EV settings work differently between the two cameras.

1. What effect does a plus or minus setting have on the final product with the D50.

2. How do I factor this into my setup to my advantage.

Thanks,

Andy W

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    EV settings basically adjust your shutter speed or Aperture value depending on what mode you are in to make your image brighter or darker. If you are in Aperture Priority then your Aperture will remain constant but your Shutter speed will change when you adjust your EV. The shutter speed will be increased with a negative EV makeing your shots darker and will decrease with a positive EV makeing your shots brighter.

In practice it is useful for example if you have a backlit subject. You would use a positive EV to expose for the subject rather than the brighter background. You can also use a negative EV if you need to raise your shutter speed, but be aware that you are also darkening your shot.

Clear as mud?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Thanks, Nick.

Yes, I think I get it. Seems like EV just makes use of the build in light meter to guide me in finding the best f-stop/speed mix.

I was hoping it was another tool like the ISO setting, that would allow me get more lense speed in dim light; but not so.

Thanks for your help.

AndyW