Suggestion: Upload report / File name reference

flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited August 27, 2004 in SmugMug Support
A feature I could *really* use would be some way to get a list of original file names and their new smugmug IDs after they are uploaded. I could see this being a kind of "upload report" or something that would say:
You uploaded 20 images.

FILE NAME			   SMUGMUG ID
image1.jpg			   59896102
image2.jpg			   59896103

etc.....

It would also be helpful if this information could be downloaded in CSV format at any time in the future after uploading.

Seems like this should be an easy feature to implement, as I believe you're already storing the file names in the database, right?

Comments

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 11, 2004
    A very interesting suggestion. Thanks. Yes, we do store the filename.

It might also apply to bulk downloads too, no? We get a lot of requests for those.
  • flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    A very interesting suggestion. Thanks. Yes, we do store the filename.

It might also apply to bulk downloads too, no? We get a lot of requests for those.
    Baldy-

Thanks for your reply. I think this would be quite useful for any kind of bulk or automated operation. For me, it would be useful because I'm developing a site that will reference my photos on smugmug. Right now, I have to manually build the reference table that links my original file names to their smugmug IDs. It's a little frustrating because I know that the same reference information is already in your database... I just don't have access to it.

I think it would be very easy for smugmug to add this feature to the Photo Tools menu. You'd just need to send the gallery ID to a script and after checking permissions, spit out a list of the original file names and their smugmug IDs.

I know this is just one request in a long list of requests, but thanks for listening. Let me know if I can help in any way.
    edited August 24, 2004
    Now that the new shopping cart is done, what is the schedule like for new enhancements?

Seems like this feature would be really quick and simple to implement. An ASP page and a stored procedure ought to do it. Any chance something like this will be available anytime soon?
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2004
    Huh -- I just discovered one place in the Smugmug UI where filenames are displayed. Strangely enough, it's on the Delete Bulk screen.

Lemme see if I can hack a little Perl script to snarf the filenames and IDs from that page.
    edited August 27, 2004
    darryl wrote:
    Huh -- I just discovered one place in the Smugmug UI where filenames are displayed. Strangely enough, it's on the Delete Bulk screen.

Lemme see if I can hack a little Perl script to snarf the filenames and IDs from that page.

Oh feh -- authentication. I'm too lazy to do a proper HTTP session. (In my bulk download script, I use curl to grab the thumbnail page that contains all the IDs of images in a gallery, then run repeated individual curl commands to download each image.)

I was planning on similar laziness to grab a page like:

http://foo.smugmug.com/photos/tools.mg?ImageID=123456789&tool=bulkdelete

Where 123456789 is any image in the gallery that you'd like to get filenames for.

But alas, I'd have to set a login cookie somewhere, which probably means I've also got to do SSL, and ugh, by that time I'd just as soon complain, er, make a feature request of it to support@smugmug.com :}

--Darryl
    edited August 27, 2004
    Darryl-

I appreciate the attempt, but this should really be something that smugmug implements. We shouldn't have to resort to screen scraping for something so simple. I can't imagine it would take more than a couple of hours (if that) to add this functionality.
    edited August 27, 2004
    Darryl-

I appreciate the attempt, but this should really be something that smugmug implements. We shouldn't have to resort to screen scraping for something so simple. I can't imagine it would take more than a couple of hours (if that) to add this functionality.

Oh don't worry -- I've given up for the time being. :-} I absolutely agree that this feature ought to be implemented by Smugmug.

But after discovering the filenames in the bulk delete page, I just had to take a quick stab at it.

I've got my own long list of feature requests, and it's sometimes nice to be able to hack my own solutions while waiting for an official one. (Like bulk download.)

Hrm, now that the shopping cart is done (and has been quickly tweaked according to various feedback -- wow), maybe I should compile my list again. :-}