Options

The Big Stupid (Gas prices) ranting thread...

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited February 20, 2006 in The Big Picture
yep, time for us Americans to do what we do best....

Complain about gas prices! :lol3

last time i checked it was 2.12 a gallon of unleaded here in Kansas City...

lets hear your horror stories about gas prices, and people from around the world feel free to join in too:thumb

Daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited February 20, 2006
    Last time I looked it was around $6 USD a gallon in Madrid. Might just as well complain about the weather though... :D
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    yep, time for us Americans to do what we do best....

Complain about gas prices! lol3.gif

last time i checked it was 2.12 a gallon of unleaded here in Kansas City...

lets hear your horror stories about gas prices, and people from around the world feel free to join in toothumb.gif

Daniel

Thats cheap its 2.33 here. And I just drove 180 miles this weekend to photograph ducks :) Good thing I get 30 miles to the gallon on the highway :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Either $2.20 or $2.01 here... at stations less than a mile apart!
    ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    here's my rant...
    We (the town I live in) have a refinery in our back yard giving us cancer, yet we pay more than most places in the U.S. If I drive 40+ miles in practically any direction (except New York) I'll pay less - go figure. It's been a popular topic in the "letter to the editor" over the years. I try not to look at the prices and think about it much - it's too upsetting. However, I didn't think the prices were too bad lately.

Edit: we're told we pay more because our gas is "fresh" - guess I'm fortunate (?!)

tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Last time I looked it was around $6 USD a gallon in Madrid. Might just as well complain about the weather though... :D

I'm with you, Richard. I'm not a fan of these beefs - I feel very fortunate here as far as gasoline (petrol to many)a prices, versus what nearly the entire rest of the world pays.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I'm with you, Richard. I'm not a fan of these beefs - I feel very fortunate here as far as gasoline (petrol to many)a prices, versus what nearly the entire rest of the world pays.

nod.gif i have a friend in Albania and theirs was equivilent to $12 USD a gallon at one point....

i do remember the "good ol' days" though... one time it dropped down to .97 a gallon i think about 3 years agoheadscratch.gif

ahhh those were the days... lol
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    nod.gif i have a friend in Albania and theirs was equivilent to $12 USD a gallon at one point....

i do remember the "good ol' days" though... one time it dropped down to .97 a gallon i think about 3 years agoheadscratch.gif

ahhh those were the days... lol
    You were still in diapers when I started driving (well very very close to it at least) I remember when gas was always below a buck a gallon. 90 cents a gallon was normal.

Oh and can I add that you just made me feel old.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    Oh and can I add that you just made me feel old.

thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Molsondog wrote:
    90 cents! How about the gas wars of the early 70's when it was $0.25. Then came the embargo and the landscape changed.

Ride motorcycles. I get 50 mpg.

Early 70's eh. Well ya made me feel young again...:):
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Hmmmm, "The Big Stupid (Gas prices) ranting thread...", and it is started by someone who is not old enough to drive (or are you? what is the age limit there anyway? permit at 14 maybe?). So, why is the price of gas on your mind, Daniel? Would you drive less if it got more expensive?

Even i remember getting gas for under a dollar when i lived in TX. It's about USD 6 a gallon where i live now
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Hmmmm, "The Big Stupid (Gas prices) ranting thread...", and it is started by someone who is not old enough to drive (or are you? what is the age limit there anyway? permit at 14 maybe?). So, why is the price of gas on your mind, Daniel? Would you drive less if it got more expensive?

Even i remember getting gas for under a dollar when i lived in TX. It's about USD 6 a gallon where i live now

nod.gif i have a permit, and they're thinking of raising the age limit to 18 for a normal liscence instead of 16umph.gif

and yes, if gas is too expensive, i won't drive. i'll just ride my bike to shooting locations lol3.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    It's $1.27 australian for a litre of unleaded here...and I can't be bothered to work out how to convert that. I have in he past year had to pay $1.40. I don't know why it's so expensive here, they did a study and my town is the 3rd highest price in the state for some reason. I remember a few years ago when it was almost $1.20 here, driving to Brisbane and paying 85c a litre...headscratch.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    nod.gif i have a permit, and they're thinking of raising the age limit to 18 for a normal liscence instead of 16umph.gif

and yes, if gas is too expensive, i won't drive. i'll just ride my bike to shooting locations lol3.gif
    Over here a "permit" as such doesn't exist. Mandatory lessones, and no exam untill the instructor thinks you are ready. And no lessons before the age of 18. Atleast i got a US license just by showing my foreign one. :D (both the TX and FL one did not say i wasn't an american, i always wondered about that) Driving a car here is too expensive, fuel @ USD 6 a gallon, taxes by weight of the car, alot of payed parkingspots in cities.... I can't afford a car for sure. When i lived in the US i couldn't do without one though. But it is funny to see that people complain about gas prices being 2-something, with it being 6 here.