Options

New Member looking for feedback

Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
edited August 29, 2004 in People
Good Morning DGrin'rs icon10.gif

I've been a member since last Friday and I have to tell you that I am very impressed by what I've seen here. Really helpful people and really good pics. Please have patience with me as I stumble around learning the format (hopefully this post will wind up in the right place :-)

I was asked by one of my wife's friends to shoot some wedding reception candids, this weekend. While I've shot candids before. I've never taken candids that might be meaningful to others. It was a warm room and I got more detail than I was looking for and I wound up softening most of the shots. For some, I used different PS actions (at varying opacity settings) and I would like your feedback as to whether I went too far.

I'd be most appreciative of any criticism (constuctive, or otherwise ;-) you may offer regarding any or all of the 1st dozen images in this gallery.

http://www.pbase.com/slo2k/wedding

Thanks,
Steve clap.gif
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    welcome, steve
    wave.gif happy to have you onboard dgrin!

hey these are some nice shots. i'm sure the family and couple will be really happy with them - nice candids, and a variety of treaatments - do you expect them to pick a certain treatment that they like and then ask you to do the whole set this way?

i like the emotions you caught. ylsuper.gifthumb.gif

I've been a member since last Friday and I have to tell you that I am very impressed by what I've seen here. Really helpful people and really good pics. Please have patience with me as I stumble around learning the format (hopefully this post will wind up in the right place :-)

I was asked by one of my wife's friends to shoot some wedding reception candids, this weekend. While I've shot candids before. I've never taken candids that might be meaningful to others. It was a warm room and I got more detail than I was looking for and I wound up softening most of the shots. For some, I used different PS actions (at varying opacity settings) and I would like your feedback as to whether I went too far.

I'd be most appreciative of any criticism (constuctive, or otherwise ;-) you may offer regarding any or all of the 1st dozen images in this gallery.

Thanks,
    Steve clap.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Hi Steve, welcome or Welcome back...

Nice shots of the wedding, I think you captured some special moments. This wedding does'nt seem to be deteriorating as the evening goes on like the ones I've been to.... unless you are a very nice kind photographer friday.gif

Lynn
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Hi Steve wave.gif Those are some nice shots, you caught some tender moments. The B&W conversion works well, no problems there. The 50% opacity works too, although it feels to me like it's right on the edge. For me, the 60% and 75% are too much. Check out how Lynn handles blur in her photos - she's the queen of blur, and does a great job. And remember, you can always mask out the blur in some parts of the shot - it doesn't have to be all or nothing.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004

Thanks,
    Steve clap.gif

Well, I think they're pretty darn good, and I agree with Andy--kind of. Pick two, MAYBE three looks and stick to them. One look may be too limiting, but you certainly want to have a unifying look to the pictures as a whole.

I like the 50% ethereal glow and the first duotone dream for the special looks.

I also want to comment on Dance 6. I know it's not in the first dozen, but it caught my eye. Cool moment. I did a quick b/w conversion on it, and thought it was improved by it. You may want to bring down the highlights a touch, as that dress in the foreground kinda glows.

The one thing that I would do if I could turn back time is to shoot with a large flash with a bounce/diffuser.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    Interesting, David. I find myself avoiding using a flash, in large part because I haven't forced myself to learn how to use it properly. I have the Stofen and I ppoint the thing up, for a bounce. But I reckon there's a lot more to flash photography than that; for example, how to control the amount of flash. My seizes once the numbers start, unfortunately.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au