Options

20D firmware update ?s

ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited February 23, 2006 in Cameras
Current firmware version is 1.0.5... I have not had problems, so I just never updated, since I bought my 20D. OK..maybe I am a bit chicken too. :D

?s...
A friend that "keeps up to date" said that I have to do previous updates, before doing the 2.0.3. BUT, it looked to me like "all previous updates are included in 2.0.3. Do I need to do previous updates first?
Where do I find the previous updates, if I have to do them too? I only see 2.0.3 on the Canon site.

Any tips will be much appreciated...I think I am getting a firmware headache. And I can't afford to buy the 30D, just to avoid updating firmare on 20D. :rofl

Thanks...
Sheila

Comments

• Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    ShebaJo wrote:
    Current firmware version is 1.0.5... I have not had problems, so I just never updated, since I bought my 20D. OK..maybe I am a bit chicken too. :D

?s...
    I need to do the earlier updates, before doing current update...right?
    Where do I find the previous updates? I only see 2.0.3 on the Canon site.

Any tips will be much appreciated...I think I am getting a firmware headache. And I can't afford to buy the 30D, just to avoid updating firmare on 20D. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks...
    Sheila

Firmware is pretty easy, just copy your existing to a CF card and use a different on for the update. I have 2.0.3 on my 20D so It looks like you might have some work to do :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited February 21, 2006
    Canon's update site mentions that all previous firmware updates are all wrapped into the latest 2.0.3, so no, you don't need to do it incrementally.

2.0.3 will most likely be the last firmware version since the new cam is out now. If you have any previous firmware versions saved on your computer, keep them for a while in case something goes wrong.

Make sure you read and re-read all the instructions for updating, and follow those instructions exactly. deal.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 21, 2006
    I have updated firmware on a 20d several times, as well as 1series cameras. Just download the file from the Canon website and follow their instructions .

Make sure the battery in your camera is fully charged first so it does not run out in the middle of writing the new firmware. Basically you download a file, unzip it and copy the FIR file to a Compact Flash card. When you insert the card in your camera and THEN turn it on, it asks you if you want to update the firmware with the new file. You accept, things begin to happen.

Just printout the instructions from the Canon site where you download the new firmware and follow them. It only takes about 30 seconds for the new firmware to be written into your camera. It is easy to do. I see the newest version is 2.0.3.

Apparently I need to upgrade my firmware also, I am at 2.0.0

Canon is also now saying tha you must remove your lens before updating the firmware, to turn your camera off AND remove the battery for several seconds to alow the camera to recognize the new firmware. Canon's server seems very busy tonight - lots of folks updating and perusing their site.

Link is here

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_firmware-e.html
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    ShebaJo wrote:
    Current firmware version is 1.0.5... I have not had problems, so I just never updated, since I bought my 20D. OK..maybe I am a bit chicken too. :DThanks...
    Sheila

Sheila, I understand your being a bit chicken. I am not a huge update fan have seen a few too many updates make things worseeek7.gif

However my 20D was at 202 Andy said update, the last thing I wanted to do was update my 20D it worked fine! Anyway read the instructions about 50 times and did the deed, it was painless:):
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    I have done many updates,but have been slacking of late.
    My theory,if it aint broke..why update?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006
    This may fall into the category of being broke, but...

I have an Epson P-2000. When I took delivery of it, it had an older version of firmware. When I upgraded it, the read/write speed to/from the memory card was significantly improved.

Having upgraded a number of pieces of hardware, I have found that the upgrade process to be a lot easier than, for example, cleaning a sensor rolleyes1.gif

Have a great one!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    I have done many updates,but have been slacking of late.
    My theory,if it aint broke..why update?ne_nau.gif
    Me too ne_nau.gif

My 20D is 12 months old & it has never had an update. Will it take better photos ?
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Me too ne_nau.gif

My 20D is 12 months old & it has never had an update. Will it take better photos ?

Nope:D