Cannon EOS Rebel

PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
edited August 29, 2004 in Cameras
Did I ever tell you how much I love eBay? This dude spelled Canon wrong (see my title) and only wrote 35mm Film Camera on the eBay title. Don't believe me? I guess that's why I only paid $34 for it. :thumb Anyways, this baby arrived and I'm very excited. It works perfectly (batteries and all) and it's my very first "real" camera (SLR).

So, do any of you know what model this is? There isn't anything printed anywhere that suggests a model number or year.

Also, the flash isn't working. Looks like he left the AA batteries inside and they leaked. Anyone know if this can be salvaged?

Finally, is there any way the tiny front lens at the very front can be removed and cleaned? It looks kinda dirty in there.

Thanks...can't wait to take some pics next week.

7855541-M.jpg

7855544-M.jpg

7855542-M.jpg
Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited August 28, 2004
    So, do any of you know what model this is? There isn't anything printed anywhere that suggests a model number or year.

Finally, is there any way the tiny front lens at the very front can be removed and cleaned? It looks kinda dirty in there.

7855544-M.jpg

7855542-M.jpg
    It is an EOS Rebel - see above.....

Does it seem to work? I gather you have not shot any frames with it yet. Might shoot some outdoor sunlit scenes by the sunny f16 rule to see if the meter is accurate. ISO 100 1/ISO f16 for full front lit sunshine

Good luck and enjoy1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    Great eBay find. I watched a special on the news a few months ago that featured a woman who made her living on eBay. Her secret was to search for items that are commonly misspelled. Usually she can win the auction at a fraction of the cost & re-list the item correctly for a nice profit.

The model is the EOS Rebel. It doesn't look like it came with a manual, so I found one for you. I love google :)

http://photonotes.org/manuals/eos-rebel-s-ii/

Can't wait to see some pics!
    Dave
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Great eBay find. I watched a special on the news a few months ago that featured a woman who made her living on eBay. Her secret was to search for items that are commonly misspelled. Usually she can win the auction at a fraction of the cost & re-list the item correctly for a nice profit.

The model is the EOS Rebel. It doesn't look like it came with a manual, so I found one for you. I love google :)

http://photonotes.org/manuals/eos-rebel-s-ii/

Can't wait to see some pics!
    Dave
    Dave, you helped me out big-time here! Thank you very much!
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    Congrats on the camera... now it's time to experiment and have fun! If I might make one suggestion - it's less expensive to do your experimentation with B&W film than with color. Plus, the more I do B&W conversions, the more I like it. Sometimes it can be hard to find the contrasts that make B&W work (in my eyes, anyway) but when the contrast is there, the images seem to have more emotional impact.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Congrats on the camera... now it's time to experiment and have fun! If I might make one suggestion - it's less expensive to do your experimentation with B&W film than with color. Plus, the more I do B&W conversions, the more I like it. Sometimes it can be hard to find the contrasts that make B&W work (in my eyes, anyway) but when the contrast is there, the images seem to have more emotional impact.
    Dude...you read my mind. So far I shot a roll of B/W and color. And I'm seriously looking at the possibility of developing B/W negatives at home and scanning them in with my Epson 1240u Film scanner. I'm still doing a little research but I think it'll turn out cheaper than sending it in for developing.

• Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    ive got the same caera dude, by the way the lens size is 52mm if you want to get filters for it :D. i love the camera, and lust after a nice shiny new digital rebel as im sure it is more camer than i will ever need, but alas im po and not a good saver but im workin on it.

charlie
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.