Options

Tripod: How big would you suggest

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited August 30, 2004 in Accessories
I am not used to carrying a tripod, I prefer to hand hold, but would like to take some shots in situations where that is impossible. Can't carry a lot more wt, I move fast, here to there.

A book I have suggests a small tripod, not a large one. Says you can tape it to poles and things. I have the brand name in the other room.

Would that be enough, in the opinion of others who also prefer to go light, or is there a full length one that would be better for my purposes? IYO.
I am going to order one, probably tomorrow, so please feed back.

Our next Challenge will be after dark, I shot close to dark last night hand holding, but for some things, like city and bridge shots, I really should have a tripod. Also a shutter release for that??? Important? To you?

Thanks, ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am not used to carrying a tripod, I prefer to hand hold, but would like to take some shots in situations where that is impossible. Can't carry a lot more wt, I move fast, here to there.
    I personally have 3 tripods. A tiny 5-inch one that expands to 8 inches. A medium one that expands from 10" to about 4 feet and a professional "no-holds barred" one that was given to me as a gift.

I personally carry around the 5 inch more often for casual "spur of the moment" photography. It's light, gets great angles and works wonderfully for self portraits. And it's actually pretty good quality. Very sturdy metal but it can't do portrait mode in the 5" inch collapsed position...only fully expanded.

When I know I'm gonna shoot a particular subject or I'm "on assignment" :D I carry the mid-sized one. I only use the pro one at home.

Edit: I use a really small and lightweight Canon A70 camera. This is a point n shoot camera.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2004
    Ginger, a nice, lightweight Bogen Manfrotto 724B is perfect for your needs. It folds down to less than 2 feet. And it extends to 5 feet or more. It comes with a carryting case. The link is to my review of it. I have since moved onto something that can handle the weight of my new stuff. As long as your hands are OK flipping the levers that unlock the elgs, you'll be golden.

It's $99 at B&H now, which is less than I paid for mine.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Ginger, a nice, lightweight Bogen Manfrotto 724B is perfect for your needs. It folds down to less than 2 feet. And it extends to 5 feet or more. It comes with a carryting case. The link is to my review of it. I have since moved onto something that can handle the weight of my new stuff. As long as your hands are OK flipping the levers that unlock the elgs, you'll be golden.

It's $99 at B&H now, which is less than I paid for mine.
    Sid, sounds great, and I hate to be the type to say yes, but, but I can't afford
    $99.00.

$50.00 would be tops..........I hardly ever use one, and I need tennis shoes, my only pair has gotten so wet so often from that ocean I have been photographing, they are foul. I wear nothing else, just tennis shoes, if they are not acceptable, I don't go. (That was photography related, as everything seems to be lately.)

I am fortunate to be a tad ahead, but I am not that much ahead.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2004
    stout
    a stout tripod is a must. go to a store with a good sampling and touch and feel them. i cannot emphasize enough about sturdy & stout. you'll want to shoot in a storm one day, and you'll thank me :D

yep- you'll need a remote for your 300d. check b&h.

here's the 'pod i use, it's about $250 all-in

tripod: manfrotto 3001b tripod legs, manfrotto 329 rc4 low profile tilt/pan head

i also have a monopod, which i can recommend:

monopod: manfrotto 3449 carbon fiber

anyhow, go to a shop where you can check them out. there's lots of options, ginger.
    ginger_55 wrote:

A book I have suggests a small tripod, not a large one. Says you can tape it to poles and things. I have the brand name in the other room.

Would that be enough, in the opinion of others who also prefer to go light, or is there a full length one that would be better for my purposes? IYO.
    I am going to order one, probably tomorrow, so please feed back.

Our next Challenge will be after dark, I shot close to dark last night hand holding, but for some things, like city and bridge shots, I really should have a tripod. Also a shutter release for that??? Important? To you?

Thanks, ginger