Options

Product table project

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
edited February 24, 2006 in Technique
I was encouraged to build a custom product table recently. The basic inspiration came from:

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

but, having co-designed and co-built a 4' x 8' all metal version, I decided I really needed more than was presented in the article above.

My version uses PVC plastic water pipe (note: I used PVC to save a little money. It works fine.) I designed the entire structure to support a 28" x 30" sheet of acrylic and I have an upper frame to support a pure-white bedsheet for the tent component.

Altogether, the materials cost was less than $30 and everything is new except that I am using an old white blanket for the under-sweep, and a couple of old white plastic trim pieces that I'm using for "prop-rods" in the tent frame.

I won't show pictures of the device, because I'm absolutely certain many here could do much better than I did.

Rather, I will show the results:

57402735-M.jpg

A larger version is here:

http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/photos/57402735-L.jpg
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    edited February 24, 2006
    Ford GT model
    Sorry, I had computer probs and my son had a scholastic achivement recognition supper, 2 subjects. Good Stuff! (Better than me as a Junior in H.S.)

I was hoping to have more shots posted but just got this computer back up about 50 minutes ago.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    This is off topic, but I love those flashlights. I have one on my keychain and my wife does too.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    artieartie Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I was encouraged to build a custom product table recently. The basic inspiration came from:

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

but, having co-designed and co-built a 4' x 8' all metal version, I decided I really needed more than was presented in the article above.

Thanks for the link Ziggy. I went out and picked up the parts and built the box shown in the pbase link yesterday. I've needed a good setup to shoot photos of auction items and this one fits my needs perfectly. I especially like the way I can hang different colors of poster board for background to complement the object I'm photographing.

Rick
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Amazing how two minds can come up with the same solution to the same problem. I came up witht the exact same idea about a week ago and just hadn't built it yet. Just now is the first time I saw this yet it is exactly the same thing I was going to build. Thanks for the link, now I know how well it will work before I even build it.

James.
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Actually there is one differance, I was planning to put cros braces at the bottom sides.

James.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2006
    This is off topic, but I love those flashlights. I have one on my keychain and my wife does too.

I have a bunch of them.

My son and I are involved in Boy Scouting, and these 1-AAA, single LED lights are my favorite personal light. My son used one for a night out solo, as part of his "Order of the Arrow" ordeal.

Photographically speaking, I use one to test new lenses, prior to purchase, and to find things in the bottom of the camera bag. Working in a suddenly dark room, like during a wedding reception, you don't want to use a large light. These little jewels work out great.

These two in the photo, are out of my pocket, and show obvious wear in the large view, for those looking. One of the two even survived the washing machine.

Thanks Shay,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2006
    Rick and James,

Someone else here had already linked to this, and I picked up from them. I can't remember who, or I'd give them credit for the "find".

The basic version, shown at the PBase link, is sooo cheap to build, I'm planning on making a couple of them. My father wants to sell some items on an online auction, and it will work great for him.

I also encourage you to explore and experiment with other designs. Who knows where this will lead?

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2006
    I found the original poster here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=27819&highlight=tent

Thanks GraphyFotoz!

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 24, 2006
    I saw that article via a post on dgrin by DanielB, I believe, a few months ago, and built mine very similar to the Huber post.

I used 3/4 in PVC rather than 1/2 in for extra strength.

I used it for this shot and others of camera gear I posted for sale

53793112-L.jpg

One improvement I am working on, is to build a table for it to sit on with an interchangeable table top of clear or white acrylic plastic, to allow illumination from below as well as the sides or top.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin