Options

Be sooooooo carefull!!!!

ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
edited February 24, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I am so upset! Yesterday I went out shot for the first time in like a week..it's been raining and overcast. It was a great day and I found great stuff...old barns, fences, and more old barns.

Soooooo, I get home start to upload them using the EOS viewer. I had a lot of shots on there that are already on the computer. They were all shot in RAW so to speed the process up I wanted to delete the old ones. I highlighted all the ones I wanted to delete but it deleted the unmarked ones. It deleted the Images off my camera!!!!!!!! :cry Off the camera! Oh yes people off the camera!

The image viewer was still connected to my camera by a USB cord. I think that's what it's called? Moral of story ..wait...wait until the cows come home or clear your card before you shoot....UGH!
I'm goin' go do some of this :sloshand yes it is 10 am !!!! :hung

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 26, 2006
    Shannon-

there are supposed to be some recovery programs for your card if you haven't overwritten it with new pics--

probably someone on this sight has written about it (try search) or go to google and/or start another thread asking about card recovery--

hope you can do something-

george
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    You can recover them - most likely - DO NOT use the card. Google for "file recovery compact flash" you'll find some programs.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 26, 2006
    I just did a search for card recovery here on dgrin and found lots of useful threads. nod.gif

Like this for example: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=143954&postcount=3
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 26, 2006
    Thanks guys. I didn't think that it was possible to recover. My boyfriend looked in my recycle bin last night and could not retrieve them.

Thanks again I am looking in to it now.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 26, 2006
    one site said you will need a card reader with usb hookup that shows as a letter drive--I think sandisk does that--very dependable reading the cards--
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2006
    Well, after doing some research I decided to just go reshoot. I was nervous that something might happen to the card and I don't have a card reader. thank you for your help. This is good to know in case it happens again. :uhoh Hopefully not!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    A separate but related note...

I've run into corruption problems when I delete files while the CF card is still in my camera. I end up losing more than just the files I've deliberately deleted.

My golden rule is to never mess with a card while it's in my camera, no matter how short of space I am. It's just not worth it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 26, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    My golden rule is to never mess with a card while it's in my camera, no matter how short of space I am. It's just not worth it.
    I agree. Plus, CF is so cheap, just buy a spare 256 card and stick it in your bag to add a few more shots instead of "deleting a few bad ones just to make a bit more space on this card..."
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    A separate but related note...

I've run into corruption problems when I delete files while the CF card is still in my camera. I end up losing more than just the files I've deliberately deleted.

Good advice to avoid the chimping in camera.

Just want to make sure it's clear, though, that you are best off deleting in camera, not on the computer.

And actually, the best thing to do, IMO, is (after you've confirmed your downloaded images are valid) to reformat the card in camera.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Good advice to avoid the chimping in camera.

Just want to make sure it's clear, though, that you are best off deleting in camera, not on the computer.

And actually, the best thing to do, IMO, is (after you've confirmed your downloaded images are valid) to reformat the card in camera.
    I've never experienced problems while chimping, but I reformat the cards every time I swap them.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    You can recover files from your card even if you have reformatted it in your camera so long as you have not filled the card with new shots.

Last fall,I inadvertantly reformated a card in my 20D before I had downloaded all of the photos. I took a handful of photographs before realising what I had done and changed cards immediately, went online and searched for recovery programs, found one that got good reviews, downloaded the trial copy, saw that it worked and paid for it ($40 or so) so I could save the retrieved images on my computer. It worked fine except that I had to change the extension on all of the RAW files so my software could see them. Tedious. But I ended up not losing anything important.

Best not to have it happen at all, but those files (or most of them) can be retreived!!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Starting early, are you?!
    Brew-ha-ha's at 10am? Poor thing! But you coulda been me and got swamped with a bunch of malicious code when I first went hi-speed (internet). It messed my computer so bad that I had to buy a new one, and run the restore disk on the old one.

You DO know what happens when you run a restore disk on a computer, don't you? It brings it back to Day 1, fresh-out-of-the-box condition....and wipes out EVERYTHING on your drives.

I lost some 3,000 images that way. Talk about wanting to "start early" with the brewskis!

Life IS still worth living, though--even if you lost some images!
    ShannonW wrote:
    I am so upset! Yesterday I went out shot for the first time in like a week..it's been raining and overcast. It was a great day and I found great stuff...old barns, fences, and more old barns.

Soooooo, I get home start to upload them using the EOS viewer. I had a lot of shots on there that are already on the computer. They were all shot in RAW so to speed the process up I wanted to delete the old ones. I highlighted all the ones I wanted to delete but it deleted the unmarked ones. It deleted the Images off my camera!!!!!!!! :cry Off the camera! Oh yes people off the camera!

The image viewer was still connected to my camera by a USB cord. I think that's what it's called? Moral of story ..wait...wait until the cows come home or clear your card before you shoot....UGH!
    I'm goin' go do some of this :sloshand yes it is 10 am !!!! :hung
    Steve-o
  • Options
    rallymaniacrallymaniac Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    that's exactly why i don't use any software to upload my pix to my PC. Just connect the camera, use windows explorer to get into card's folders, highlight the pix and copy them to desired location. It takes awhile but it's safest.
    good luck recovering your work
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    I personally always use a card reader and then reformat as soon as I put the card back into my camera.

Card readers are very cheap and I just don't like hooking my camera to the computer, plus the reader downloads so much faster.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website