Options

What to charge, for web use???

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited February 25, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Someone might remember that I took some photos of a kite surfer a while back. This is my gallery addy:

http://upacreekPHOTOGRAPHY.smugmug.com/gallery/1209094/1/56564927

The man in the photos works at a kayak, kite surfing place. His boss, or the owner, whoever (this is not a huge outfit....), wants to buy photos for his website.

How does that work?

I usually price my stuff by 3 Xs cost, or whatever, I do it that way rather than individually, as individually it takes so long. But how does one sell a photo for someone to use on a website. That seems a reasonable thing to want. People like him have websites to advertise their business........and he wants to use the photos??

Sorry, my mind has rather frozen up on this. Oh, I never sell anything, so cost has not been a factor in the past.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    The book that you know people will send you to will first of all start with one important point... don't sell your photos, license their use. Then the way you phrase it is "so, sir, you want to purchase a license for the use of my work. How many months' or years' license would you like to purchase?" If that doesn't scare him away, you're ready to start negotiating once you figure out what your starting point is. That's going to be based on all your costs and desire for income. I don't, with a quick glance, see examples for websites, but if you think of it as a billboard/kiosk/transit display then their example fees run in the $2-5k/year for exclusive use. I have no idea how that fits with your market, your work, your potential customer, etc.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 24, 2006
    Let's be realistic. I purchase royalty free images all day long for advertising and pay anywhere from $99 - $149 per image, unlimited use.

Weigh that against the costs of licensed images to determine what you think he may be willing to pay. Keep in mind that you will be providing him a low-res, small file size image, so he won't be able to do much of anything except use it on a website.

Shay has posted a link to a pricing book more times than I can remember and I've referenced online service agencies like, GETTYONE, VEER and EYEWIRE umpteen times... visit those sites and run a pricing test to see what's available to buyers in the market before pricing yourself out of that market.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Let's be realistic. I purchase royalty free images all day long for advertising and pay anywhere from $99 - $149 per image, unlimited use.

That's good info, thanks Angelo. I was just quoting what the book says, not trying to say that I've gotten that rate. I'm not sure what source the book used to get it's figures, I'd like to believe the authors felt they were realistic, but you've got more experience in today's real world.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 24, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    That's good info, thanks Angelo. I was just quoting what the book says, not trying to say that I've gotten that rate. I'm not sure what source the book used to get it's figures, I'd like to believe the authors felt they were realistic, but you've got more experience in today's real world.

Oh Steve, I wasn't addressing you directly or specifically so I hope you didn't take offense. You referenced the same Shay post and everyone seems to forget the valuable info available in that book.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2006
    I just bought a 38.00 photoshop how to book, and I am not going to buy a how to sell book. I would rather take less, or something. My son says he never pays over 20-50 dollars, with unlimited something. He designs web sites.

I am asking him to answer me on explaining what he means. But it bothers me to buy books on how to make money. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. (especially since I am not making money)

I will say that Charleston to an owner of a midsized kayak shop would not be the same as a mega bucks client in LA or NYC.

Thanks for the answers..............that is just my thoughts on some of it. Angelo, you say I will be selling them "low res", how do I do that??? I wouldn't e-mail them a small photo would I? No, I cannot imagine that. I am sure there is a simple answer somewhere.

Now wait, Jon says it comes as a Tiff or a jpg. The pricing is usually based on the size of the image. Then he sends me to some pro sites for examples. I couldn't find my way around the first one, maybe the second will be better.

The way I read his e-mail again and again, he is shopping for multiple images so he won't pay over 20-50.00 each, the actual cost based on the size of the image that comes as a jpg (from me, don't do Tiff).

That is a start, smile.

ginger (he actually doesn't mention rights.......I was wrong there.) I think.

Iginger
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Ginger, I have that pricing book, it is WONDERFUL! I'll have to bring it down with me some time. VERY important to License not sell. And don't sell yourself short, your photo's are worth the real dollars.

James.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Pricing suggestions
    If you do a search on veer.com, or photostogo.com or photodisc.com, you will find information on web use, license wording, and the size of the file.

Yes, you will e-mail him a RGB jpg file, probably no bigger than 480 x 600 pixels.

My suggested license for one year fee would be $35, since he's local. No less than $25.00 though! And that's each image!

A plug or link to your "pro" site is also a negotiating point -- won't hurt him one bit, and will help you, perhaps!

If you were in a larger town, I'd say go for $49.00! Good luck:):
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Ginger,

Once you are done post processing you pics then it comes the task of making them low res.....Open in PS - size your image to what the client wants (5 x 7.. 8 x 10 ..... 4x6 .... etc) and 8 bits/ per channel ok...now go to file, then save as, a dialog box appears....in the FORMAT box clik the arrow and then pick jpg…..a new dialog box opens and gives you resolution choices…. Pick low ok….now it is saved as a low resolution file……I personally add another step…..I reopen the file in PS and then go back to the file tab and clik save for the web a new dialog box opens and save it as a 5 or so…now we are talking “ LOW” resolution…….open this now saved for the web file and enlarge to what ever the image size is and see how it looks….. if it is full of jaggies the n you went a little too far and just toss the last image saved……each pic is different (at least for me) and BE SURE TO ADD YOUR SIGNATURE INTO EACH PIC IN PHOTOSHOP, that way you are assured of proper photo credit.

Hope this helps.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 24, 2006
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

ginger
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2006
    I ordered the book and am going to bookmark some of these responses.

Thanks again,

ginger
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    what to charge....
    Ginger,
    As already mentioned DON'T sell your self short!
    If you were competing against royalty-free images they prob. wouldn't have inquired, also I actually visited your gallery and those are some great shots! especially #16 of 16!! the smile on his face! the whites of his eyes! its as you said its a picture of an actual employee of the store (probobly using gear they sell) - they want what only you have ---

another resource is at
    http://www.pickphoto.com/
    also a good idea to have direct link to your site from theirs(per: DEE)

rich56k

what lens was #16 / 16 shot with?
    http://rich56k.smugmug.com
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS