Options

Photographing runners

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited September 1, 2004 in Technique
I live in a small suburb north of Austin which hosts an annual five mile running race. I'm talking with the organizer about photographing the event. A few questions.

What lens? I'm thinking my 50mm/1.4, using a relatively large aperture and fast shutter. Second thought is to rent a 70-200/2.8. I don't know how much reach I will need for this event. Looking for advice from others who have done this type of event.

What shots to take? What type of shots work best for this type of event and have sales potential? Head-on shots of runners? Group shots? Profiles? Candids of the crowd?

TIA, Bill
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2004
    I used to run quite a bit. From a personal point of view, I would want either a full body shot, or a head to thigh shot without any other runners. And ofcourse a finish line shot that suggests what event it is (maybe with the banner).

Wish I could help you with the lenses and such.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2004
    merc, check out Baldy's sports gallery on smugmug. He has a lot of triathlon shots. I should think his stuff would give you a fair idea of how to shoot runners. Many have asked him for prints, and I think he shoots some of this for a club.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    I live in a small suburb north of Austin which hosts an annual five mile running race. I'm talking with the organizer about photographing the event. A few questions.

What lens? I'm thinking my 50mm/1.4, using a relatively large aperture and fast shutter. Second thought is to rent a 70-200/2.8. I don't know how much reach I will need for this event. Looking for advice from others who have done this type of event.

What shots to take? What type of shots work best for this type of event and have sales potential? Head-on shots of runners? Group shots? Profiles? Candids of the crowd?

TIA, Bill
    Don't forget to have lots of Memory with you!!! rolleyes1.gif

I don't shoot sports, not like the people you can talk to, but if it were me, I would cover my A** and bring both lenses. I would probably put the 70-200 on the camera, as 70 is not that far from 50, and that would consistently give you options.:D

Plan shots, and expect the unexpected, take advantage there, or deal with it.

Are you thinking of getting each runner with the idea that each might buy from you? Is there a dinner ahead of time, I would be, if I had a chance, I would be checking things out for possibilities from the day before to after the race.

Your money, if you expect any, it would come from the runners wanting photos of themselves. I have seen photos from dog events. They would not win any of our Challenges, but they are good enough to keep the photographer in food. If I were in a race, I would buy.

If you are looking to make your money another way, then I would go with the crowd shots. Otherwise, I would do the crowd before (if they are there), I would really go after having a shot of each runner. I know someone who used to run. He would buy any picture you had of him crossing the finish line, guaranteed. I would make sure that the focus was exactly on the finish line.
    Otherwise, you could be big time disappointed.

Isn't it fun to get advice from an amateurbowdown.gif

ginger:D (Don't forget the MEMORY)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2004
    run run run
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Don't forget to have lots of Memory with you!!!

Hmmm.... spare batter too, thinking of it.
    Isn't it fun to get advice from an amateurbowdown.gif

But what do you think people get from me when I answer their questions! :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:

TIA, Bill
    I did most of mine with the 100-400L but would probably use the 70-200 2.8L IS now that I have an 8.2mp (vs 2.1mp) dslr. You can see some of the 2mp 100-400 results at:

The 2004 Boston Marathon Pictures

The 2002 Boston Marathon Pictures

The Yankee Homecoming Race - Newburyport July 2003

And some kids playing soccer....
    Acton Soccer Practice
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph