Options

stitching question

BuddyBuddy Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited September 1, 2004 in Finishing School
oh wise and learned ones:bow

6867618-L.jpg

camera is a Kodax DX 6490. I set up the tripod. I had it level. I had it on "Auto".

(and yes, I need to learn how to adjust the contrast to match the frames)

the problem: the frames do not match exactly. so to get this one, I matched the top of the far mountains. you can see the mismatch in close.

the question. how do I get them to match next time? My guess is to set manually and have the same focus. or :doh use the "mountain" icon for "far" to keep the focus the same.

thanks

a photo nOOb :D

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2004
    Good question. I can see what the problem is. A secondary problem is that by having it on Auto, the exposure is going to change as the scene changes and thus the light levels change. Interesting challenge.

Sorry I can't help, I've never tried panoramic stitching.:D.

Maybe you could try manually focusing on infinity. On a bright day, you'll have a small (high f-stop) aperature, so most of the shot will be in focus anyway. ne_nau.gif And if you have the camera on Manual, you can set one exposure for the entire shot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2004
    Buddy wrote:
    oh wise and learned onesbowdown.gif

camera is a Kodax DX 6490. I set up the tripod. I had it level. I had it on "Auto".

(and yes, I need to learn how to adjust the contrast to match the frames)

the problem: the frames do not match exactly. so to get this one, I matched the top of the far mountains. you can see the mismatch in close.

the question. how do I get them to match next time? My guess is to set manually and have the same focus. or 11doh.gif use the "mountain" icon for "far" to keep the focus the same.

thanks

a photo nOOb :D
    Here's what I would do...

First off, Brighten up image 2 a bit til it fits in about right. Do the same to image 4. I'm counting left to right here. :D Don't worry about the sharp edges. You'll fix it next.

Now...you need to start using layer masks to blend. Follow the technique listed here. You will never -EVER- look at Photoshop the same way after reading and doing this. Then use the technique to soften the edges of the frames. This should make the blend more seamless.

If that doesn't work check this thread for software that can do it for ya...
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited August 31, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Good question. I can see what the problem is. A secondary problem is that by having it on Auto, the exposure is going to change as the scene changes and thus the light levels change. Interesting challenge.

Sorry I can't help, I've never tried panoramic stitching.:D.

Maybe you could try manually focusing on infinity. On a bright day, you'll have a small (high f-stop) aperature, so most of the shot will be in focus anyway. ne_nau.gif And if you have the camera on Manual, you can set one exposure for the entire shot.
    thank you. I was guessing I had the focus off by using the "Auto".
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2004

First off, Brighten up image 2 a bit til it fits in about right. Do the same to image 4. I'm counting left to right here. :D Don't worry about the sharp edges. You'll fix it next.

Now...you need to start using layer masks to blend. Follow the technique listed here. You will never -EVER- look at Photoshop the same way after reading and doing this. Then use the technique to soften the edges of the frames. This should make the blend more seamless.

cool, thanks
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2004

Photoshop CS does it, as does Photoshop Elements. The job they do automatically is pretty darn good.

And when shooting you have to make sure that nothing changes from shot to shot. You can do this with manual mode, or you may be able to lock exposure/focus with your camera from shot to shot.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2004
    My Canon S1 has a "stitch" mode, and combined with the software it comes with it promises to stitch panoramas automatically. I've only used it once a few months ago, and came up with this:

6035014-M.jpg

Now obviously I didn't touch this other than to let the software run on auto, so it's crooked and could use some levels, etc. But this was 8 or 9 frames handheld.

The reason I bring this up is that until I read this thread, I never really thought about how much would go into making a panorama manually. Buddy, I think your first attempt is really good for being manual! And you've made me curious to see if I can make a good panorama next time I have a suitable view. Thanks for posting this thread and giving me something else to try! thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2004
    For some reason, that link doesn't seem to be working for me, DJ. I tried cutting and pasting without any luck.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    For some reason, that link doesn't seem to be working for me, DJ. I tried cutting and pasting without any luck.
    Let's try this...

8030478-M.jpg

Did this one work?