Options

Product Photos for Magazines

dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
edited September 2, 2004 in Technique
I may be shooting some product photos for a magazine. These will mostly be automotive performance parts, before they go into the car. The editor wants them to be shot on a white background, natural light, but in the shade (no direct sun.) Do you have any pointers for me as far as technique, lens choices, what to use for background material, etc.? I want to optimize the images so they look the best in the magazine.

I will also be shooting photos of the car once parts have been installed. I will be using my digital Rebel.

Thanks,

-Doug

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2004
    Product photography
    dugmar wrote:
    I may be shooting some product photos for a magazine. These will mostly be automotive performance parts, before they go into the car. The editor wants them to be shot on a white background, natural light, but in the shade (no direct sun.)

Get a light tent, like a Magic Cube. Use two lights from each direction on the outside of the tent. Go to a fabric store, buy some white velour or other fabric that has no noticeable weave to it. Glue it to a piece of MDF wood so it stays flat and unwrinkled. Use a tripod, a remote shutter release, ISO 100 and a very tiny aperture.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2004
    Seamless white paper or even better a sheet of white formica. It can sweep and be cleaned. I would still try to light it even if they want it shot in the shade.
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2004
    Great advice so far, thanks for the fast replies. Anyone remember the link to a page about how to photograph cars? I think I may have it bookmarked at home, but I can't find the posting here.

Thanks again,

Doug
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Great advice so far, thanks for the fast replies. Anyone remember the link to a page about how to photograph cars?

I think it might be in this thread.