Options

Converting Camera to IR

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited September 5, 2004 in Accessories
So I was leafing through a magazine called Digital Photo Pro, when I saw a blurb on an outfit called IRDigital. The blurb said they convert digital cameras into IR cameras. They do Canon 300D (Digital rebel) D30, D60 and 1D.

Well, this reminded me of the conversion Andy had done to his Sony f828. And I've really enjoyed being introduced to IR images. So.... I've bought a used D60, and when it gets here, I'll be sending it off to IRDigital for what I believe is a permanent conversion to IR. The good thing is, I'll be able to shoot IR handheld, and use my Canon lenses.
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    So I was leafing through a magazine called Digital Photo Pro, when I saw a blurb on an outfit called IRDigital. The blurb said they convert digital cameras into IR cameras. They do Canon 300D (Digital rebel) D30, D60 and 1D.

Well, this reminded me of the conversion Andy had done to his Sony f828. And I've really enjoyed being introduced to IR images. So.... I've bought a used D60, and when it gets here, I'll be sending it off to IRDigital for what I believe is a permanent conversion to IR. The good thing is, I'll be able to shoot IR handheld, and use my Canon lenses.

Great idea. About two weeks after I sold my f707 because it was collecting dust, Andy starts posting IR pictures. I've been waiting for a good deal on a f717 and I'm going to send it to maxmax for IR conversion.

How are prices on a used D60?

Dave
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Great idea. About two weeks after I sold my f707 because it was collecting dust, Andy starts posting IR pictures. I've been waiting for a good deal on a f717 and I'm going to send it to maxmax for IR conversion.

How are prices on a used D60?

Dave
    A little steeper than I'd like. I had the chance to get a D30 as well, but decided to go for the higher mp count, in case I ever wanted to make nice prints. The whole process will end up costing me about the same as a new f828.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2004
    I'm trying to negotiate a use f717 for $350. I'll let you know how it goes. I think I've got a good chance at it.

Dave
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2004
    Good luck, that would be a really nice setup.
    Sid.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2004
    f717 conversion
    ... is really sweet! here's a good link for you..

by my good friend, luben solev
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2004
    andy wrote:
    ... is really sweet! here's a good link for you..

by my good friend, luben solev

How much does the f717 conversion cost? This is the only thing stopping me. I looked all over the maxmax site, and even tried calling a few times. I still don't know what my total cost would be + filters.

Any help would be great.

Dave
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2004
    I was able to get the f717 for $350. It has some cosmetic flaws, but I'm willing to suffer with a few scratches to save some money. I'll pick it up at 4:00 today, then off to maxmax for the conversion.

Question for Andy:
    I'm going to get the filter that will allow normal shots after the conversion. What other filters do you recommend? I notice they sell a lot of filters for different wavelengths. I want to get the most out of this conversion while minimizing my costs.

Question for wxwax:
    The conversion for the f717 is $250. How much will it cost for your D60?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2004
    $250 for the 717 conversion ...
    you'll want a normal ir filter (like the hoya r72, you can get that here at 2filter and then i recommend the xnitecc1 color correction filter from maxmax so you can use the 717 for normal color photography unless you'll only use your other gear for color work.

i also like the xnite xdp ir filter, it let's in some blue light and you can get shots like this:

7282241-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    I had to pass on the camera today. There was a strange mechanical grinding clicking spring noise when rotating the lcd/lens. I'd hate to spend $350 on a camera, $250 on a conversion & have it break.

I'll keeps searching for a camera while I learn more about IR.

Dave
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I had to pass on the camera today. There was a strange mechanical grinding clicking spring noise when rotating the lcd/lens. I'd hate to spend $350 on a camera, $250 on a conversion & have it break.

I'll keeps searching for a camera while I learn more about IR.

Dave

dave, i'd still recommend buying it. it's proably just grit / sand whatever. dan at maxmax is taking the whole camera apart anyhow, and he'll have that cleaned /fixed in a jiffy for you!
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    dkapp wrote:

Question for wxwax:
    The conversion for the f717 is $250. How much will it cost for your D60?

Thanks,
    Dave

They're quoting $350. It ain't cheap, but I'm hoping I'll have an IR body that I can use for years to come.
    Sid.