Options

Segregation

camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited August 22, 2011 in SmugMug Support
I suspect that there's no way to clearly segregate categories, is there?

That is, I shoot two things. I shoot fashion/glamour, and I shoot cheerleading competitions (by way of explanation, I'm a fashion/glamour photographer but my daughter cheers, so her gym has asked me to shoot competitions. I'm not weird, I swear!).

That said, I don't want parents coming to look for cheerleading shots to see the fashion/glamour stuff. It can get racy.

I'm looking at two separate accounts to ensure that this doesn't happen, right? There's no way to have two completely segregated genres of photography and keep one set from the other, especially since I can only have one account name. Right?

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    possible option
    If you didn't have a ton of cheerleading photos, you could creat a private gallery and hide your navigation back to your main site. The url would be a bit unwieldy (yourname.smugmug.com/xxxxxxx) and wouldn't be too difficult to figure out how to get to your main gallery (drop the xxxxxxx in the address bar).

But I'm sure you've figured this part out. I'll be curious to see what the experts say about your question.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Private, passworded galleries? Led to, by a navbar link?
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Private, passworded galleries? Led to, by a navbar link?

Yes, but those would be individual galleries, and would still have the URL of "cheerphoto" which has nothing to do with my fashion/glamour work.

I want the ability to, in my single account, combining the print accounting and revenue, to be able to have two completely separate sites, with separate branding, separate themes, complete with galleries and catagories and such. I don't want caltgories and breadcrumbs to intermix.

Now mind you, I'd pay the $99 (or is it now $149?) fee twice for this. But what I don't want is two separate accounts where I have to log in twice each day to check sales and the like. I want one, combined sales and accounting page, with one login and password.

Now, take "two" and make it "n" in that I'd love to have one for my fashion/glamour, and one for cheerleading, and one for some other genre of photography that I've not thought of yet, but I'm sure I'll be doing, oh, next month or two :-)

I expect the answer is, "no, you can't have your cake and eat it too," in which case I'll say, "yeah, but what good is having cake if you're not going to eat it? And if I'm going to eat it, don't I need to have it first?" ... which is my way of saying, "yeah, I know. I'm just asking."
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 3, 2006
    How did u envised this working from a url perpective ? obviously, cambler.smugmug.com has to show either cheerleading or glamour ?

I might be able to work something if you give me some specific details.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    How did u envised this working from a url perpective ? obviously, cambler.smugmug.com has to show either cheerleading or glamour ?

I might be able to work something if you give me some specific details.

David

That's the problem, I think. It would require the ability to accept multiple domain names as host headers - and that's work on SmugMug's part that would generate no additional revenue.

I'd be more than willing to pay for a second account if there were a way to tell SmugMug that I own both accounts so I could have a single accounting interface.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 4, 2006
    cambler wrote:
    That's the problem, I think. It would require the ability to accept multiple domain names as host headers - and that's work on SmugMug's part that would generate no additional revenue.

I'd be more than willing to pay for a second account if there were a way to tell SmugMug that I own both accounts so I could have a single accounting interface.

ok, that makes sense. I actually posted this in the feature request thread a little while ago.

Personally, I think it's a feature that could attract pros...that sort of segregation between personal and professional photos or different types of photography in your case.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    mmcguiremmcguire Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2011
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but did any feature like this ever get implemented? I want to do exactly what cambler is asking about.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2011
    mmcguire wrote: »
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but did any feature like this ever get implemented? I want to do exactly what cambler is asking about.
    Two separate accounts is the only way to have two separate domains.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    mmcguiremmcguire Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2011
    Thanks, I was afraid of that. I guess I am about to purchase a third account.