Options

Help sought on file recovery..

Misery GoatMisery Goat Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited September 6, 2004 in Finishing School
scenario:

i just lost the last 2 days of fotos from a recent trip.

i use a USB flash reader, 256K.

i did a CUT and PASTE from the flash reader folder to another newly created folder (in a different path).

apparently all of the files (fotos) did not make it over to the new folder.

i used a MS window file menu operation, edit/select all, then cut/paste.

CAN I RECOVER THESE FILES?? ear.gifear.gif

(i'm not optimistic bncry.gif )
apologies for my first post being a question. icon10.gif

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    scenario:

i just lost the last 2 days of fotos from a recent trip.

i use a USB flash reader, 256K.

i did a CUT and PASTE from the flash reader folder to another newly created folder (in a different path).

apparently all of the files (fotos) did not make it over to the new folder.

i used a MS window file menu operation, edit/select all, then cut/paste.

CAN I RECOVER THESE FILES?? ear.gifear.gif

(i'm not optimistic bncry.gif )
    apologies for my first post being a question. icon10.gif
    Hi Misery, I can't answer your question but there are others who will be in soon who can. Just check back often and someone will help you. Good luck.
    Lynn
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    Well, I can tell you straight off that your first mistake was choosing a name like Misery Goat. You're bound to have bad luck follow you around with that moniker. You're going to end up like Eeyore:
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, I can tell you straight off that your first mistake was choosing a name like Misery Goat.
    no bad luck here but an occasional snafu, it's a on-line gaming moniker i did not feel like changing..

more of the story:

after PASTE'ng the fotos into the NEW FOLDER, I opened the first file in MS photo viewer and started advancing the files and DELETING unwanted fotos.

When I get to the last foto i notice i'm missing the last 2 days of fotos in the NEW FOLDER.

i tried using the back option and doing a UNDO but i have executed additional commands since the PASTE and it only seems to have the previous command, which in my case is UNDO/DELETE.

trouble shooting:

i can add that i have not shut down the pc since the mishap, nor have i closed the original window.

i've taken the flash card out of the reader and re-inserted.

Anything to work with here?? ear.gif
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    I posted this a few months ago, but I would give it a go. There may be some newer software out you can search for. Good luck, I would think if you have not reformatted your card, you should be able to recover most if not all images.

Lexar has a program called image rescue. Check here, I only see it for Mac OS X. I also think it is restricted to certain Lexar cards.

Photorescue is a recovery program for both Mac and Windows for $29/soon to be $39.
    PLEASE try the demo before ordering the full version. If you are unable to use the demo or if the demo doesn't at least claim that it can recover your pictures, the full version will not help you

That is all I can think of at the moment. I am sure a search at versiontracker.com could lead to more programs.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    Well, i got lucky, i went back into the viewer folder via a new window and the remaining files were there.

i did this initially and files were not there, i guess "letting it sit" worked out this time.

thanks for the replies. tragedy averted. clap.gif

edit:
    Patch, I will keep the link handy. thanks.thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited September 6, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I posted this a few months ago, but I would give it a go. There may be some newer software out you can search for. Good luck, I would think if you have not reformatted your card, you should be able to recover most if not all images.

Lexar has a program called image rescue. Check here, I only see it for Mac OS X. I also think it is restricted to certain Lexar cards.

Photorescue is a recovery program for both Mac and Windows for $29/soon to be $39.

That is all I can think of at the moment. I am sure a search at versiontracker.com could lead to more programs.
    Patch, I have used PhotoRescue PC successfully and can attest that it can be used to find the files on a corrupted CF card that could not be salvaged. At least it did work for me ... http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    Patch, I will keep the link handy. thanks.thumb.gif

No Problem, glad you saved them the easy way.

I moved your thread to Beyond Photoshop, since it deals with other software. wxwax is out of town, perhaps when he returns he can make a Hall of Wisdom post for file recovery techniques.