Options

Large Group Shot

andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
edited March 5, 2006 in Technique
Hi all

Next weekeknd I have been asked to photgraph a local High School Choir group. The group is going to be about 30 peple in all, and they want to shoot to be on the stage at the school. There will be a couple of posed shots of the group, including have them hold up their arms as they do during the performance etc

It is likle y we will be using the stage lights to light the group, so amount should not be a problem and I will make sure I set the white balalnce of the camera correctly.

Any tips on how to get this right? Focal Length etc?

Thanks

Andy
A Brit among the HAWKEYES
Canon 5D Mk III
Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
My Galleries

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    So you're going to have to shoot it from where the audience would normally sit?

I'd get down there and experiment beforehand. One thing I'd really want to see is how I could change my perspective, so I'm not looking up at them as though I were in a seat. Is there a balcony that looks down at them (assuming you have a lens that could make this work?) Can they put a board on top of the seats for you to stand on? If so, that gives you a lot of lattitude for picking a distance that suits whatever lenses you have.

I'd be leery of using wide angle. You're shooting people, they may not appreciate being barrel distorted!

Just some thoughts.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    I am seriopusly thinking of taking a ladder with me to place on the stage so I can get up a little for this but not sure how to mount the tripod on the ladder.....yet 8-)

No I will not be in the Audience I will be on the stage with the group.
    wxwax wrote:
    So you're going to have to shoot it from where the audience would normally sit?

I'd get down there and experiment beforehand. One thing I'd really want to see is how I could change my perspective, so I'm not looking up at them as though I were in a seat. Is there a balcony that looks down at them (assuming you have a lens that could make this work?) Can they put a board on top of the seats for you to stand on? If so, that gives you a lot of lattitude for picking a distance that suits whatever lenses you have.

I'd be leery of using wide angle. You're shooting people, they may not appreciate being barrel distorted!

Just some thoughts.
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    Consider a bean bag on which to rest the camera.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2006
    Some great suggestions so far. I would just ensure that if people are putting arms up in the air, and if you have layers of people that shadows do not obstruct faces or other important elements. Also, get high enough to be able to have a good view of the group. Shooting from a step ladder is the best kept secret in photography. I keep one with me on shoots.
    Also, just monitor the lighting so that it is balanced for the whole group, especially if you are using their stage lighting. Be aware of the foreground and the background so that they are not distracting.
    Lastly, BE CONFIDENT! When working with large groups I have had a much easier time if I take charge, and let them know I am serious. Good luck!