Options

downriver, from bear mountain

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 6, 2004 in Wildlife
a while back i shared some ir shots of the hudson river, in "upriver, downriver"

that thread is right here
today, my five-year old son and i hiked up bear mountain, a bit further upriver. we had a ball, a lovely day. here's a shot looking downriver. this mountain is about 50 miles or so north of new york city.

ir-modified sony f828, 1/400th sec, f/4, 28mm focal length, iso 64. in post, converted to bw and applied an 18% luminosity toning layer.

8206045-L.jpg

enjoy (a hike with your kid) photography,

Comments

• Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    Lookin good Andy. How'd you manage to make it up there?
    Are you a driver?

Actually that brings up a few questions I've been meaning to ask you.

This being my first year in NY, I'm totally lost on where to find myself some nature areas. I'm not looking to go very far, so 50 or so miles would be ideal.

I'm also on the hunt for a good brooklyn bridge shot. Last night I took the A train and made it to the south side of the bridge. I found it hard to get a clear view of my side of the bridge, so I didn't produce much with the location I had. Too many restaurants and trees in the way. I'm shooting with an 828 so I'm guessing with the 28mm focal distance, I'm going to need to keep my distance somewhat.

And last, I'm wondering where to get the good location for some 9/11 lights shooting. I'm guessing they're doing them this year, so I've been in hunt for some panoramic shots from either brooklyn or jersey. What do you suggest? Are you going to be out that night?

Thanks again. Looking good as usual clap.gif
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    brooklyn bridge:

go to the brooklyn side, and on the north side of the bridge there's a small park. it's excellent for nightshots, here's a great example: nightshot tutorial

for daytime shots, you can shoot from most anywhere and get some good ones :D it's such great bridge. here's a link to my brooklyn bridge gallery

try going on the bridge at dawn or dusk, you can get some good shots then, too....

3761838-M.jpg

for the 9-11 tribute in lights shot, you can go down to liberty state park on the jersey side of the hudson. plenty of great spots there. here's the definitive work on the subject, a print i own, of a shot taken by our own shay stephens

regarding bear mountain, trev and i drove part way and we hiked part way. it's a great place for kids...

thanks for stopping by, hope this is helpful to you!
    FreeUps wrote:
    Lookin good Andy. How'd you manage to make it up there?
    Are you a driver?

Actually that brings up a few questions I've been meaning to ask you.

This being my first year in NY, I'm totally lost on where to find myself some nature areas. I'm not looking to go very far, so 50 or so miles would be ideal.

I'm also on the hunt for a good brooklyn bridge shot. Last night I took the A train and made it to the south side of the bridge. I found it hard to get a clear view of my side of the bridge, so I didn't produce much with the location I had. Too many restaurants and trees in the way. I'm shooting with an 828 so I'm guessing with the 28mm focal distance, I'm going to need to keep my distance somewhat.

And last, I'm wondering where to get the good location for some 9/11 lights shooting. I'm guessing they're doing them this year, so I've been in hunt for some panoramic shots from either brooklyn or jersey. What do you suggest? Are you going to be out that night?

Thanks again. Looking good as usual clap.gif