Options

Monopod Question

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited March 6, 2006 in Accessories
I am planning on getting the Bogen/Manfrotto 676B monopod. See link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=314122&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
I am trying to decide on a head for the monopod. I don't want to spend a ton. I want a head that has a quick release plate. I have considered the bogen 3229 head:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=5491&is=REG&addedTroughValue=314122_REG&addedTroughType=accessory_detail
That head only tilts one way. Do you think I need a head that moves more than one direction on a monopod? Would a ball head be better? With how easy a monopod moves around I wonder if a ball head would even be helpful. What do you think? Any other small quick release heads to consider?:scratch

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    I could not go past a Manfrotto 222...thats just me but man is it sweet to use. Just pull the lever & move it where you want...let it go & it locks fast.
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    I am planning on getting the Bogen/Manfrotto 676B monopod. See link:
    I have considered the bogen 3229 head:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=5491&is=REG&addedTroughValue=314122_REG&addedTroughType=accessory_detail

I went with the Bogen 3030 . Although it seems more of a tripod head, I find the larger knobs useful for holding, as a stop when I carry the unit over my shoulder with camera mounted and also can hang it on a chainlink fence when shooting freehand. I find limited use for the 3-way adj. on the mono, but have used it on occasion.

Another plus is it's a backup for my tripod head.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    I'm gonna vote for either the 3229 or one of the smaller ballheads with a QR plate. I have the 3030 head for my 3001 legs, and it's heavy enough that I wouldn't want to stick it on a tripod.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    Those tilt heads are only rated for 6 pounds. That is a 20D with Grip/batteries and a 70-200. I know a few people have put 300/2.8 IS on them with a 1DmkII and it seems to hold.

When I shoot football games, I just use a clamp or screw the monopod into the lens since there is little need to tilt up and down.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 6, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    I could not go past a Manfrotto 222...thats just me but man is it sweet to use. Just pull the lever & move it where you want...let it go & it locks fast.
    joystick heads are nice, but on a monopod?!? I'd be scared it could fold up on you, no? Flop right over?

I have a 3229 mini tilt head - it's held a number of fairly large lens/camera combos well enough, but for big stuff, I too would just attach directly to the monopod with the lens collar.

btw, gus, your link is garbage, here's a better one.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    joystick heads are nice, but on a monopod?!? I'd be scared it could fold up on you, no? Flop right over?

I have a 3229 mini tilt head - it's held a number of fairly large lens/camera combos well enough, but for big stuff, I too would just attach directly to the monopod with the lens collar.

btw, gus, your link is garbage, here's a better one.

Im not scared of anything but cold weather.

I use my tripod as a mono all the time if its crouded or no ground space etc....just dont unfold the legs & go for it...no flopping as you imagine.The 222 head works great with it. Dont knock it till youve tried it.