Options

Idiot Amateur at work?

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited March 6, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Strange week I've had- I was tracked down by the editor of a news media agency about doing a speculative article on my macrophotos. They do all the work and then try to sell the result who Knows where but potentially even to Daily National papers. I do my photography as a hobby- not for money making although obviously making some money would be nice. Anyway to cut to the chase I agreed verbally to a 40% cut of any profits they make on it- but have not yet seen the contract but I only started talking to then in any depth a couple of days ago. I believe the company is reputable and I have lots of phone numbers and know their web address etc. I have already sent them 20 requested photos and they now have a freelance writer writing a piece on me.
Does this all sound reasonable?
To cap this I've just had an email from someone requesting use of some of my stereo photos in an up and coming text book on computer graphics to be published by Prentice Hall.
This is all very flattering but obviously I don't want to get ripped off.
Any suggestions on how to progress with this?- I've just emailed back indicating interest and stating I assumed some financial recompense would be involved.
I would be grateful for any advice.
Brian V.

Comments

• Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    I can't help you with the pricing but seeing how great your pics are it's no surprise that people want to use them for publication.

Congratsclap.gif1drink.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2006
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    I can't help you with the pricing but seeing how great your pics are it's no surprise that people want to use them for publication.

Congratsclap.gif1drink.gif

Eric
    Thanks Eric- I've got a vague idea on pricing from a site here
    http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm

I just wasn't sure if I was being naieve in trusting the media company.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    Thanks Eric- I've got a vague idea on pricing from a site here
    http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm

I just wasn't sure if I was being naieve in trusting the media company.
    Brian V.

just make sure you sell them the rights for a 1 time printing. not the photosthumb.gif wording is everything with these people.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    the only way to charge price is
    "Slap according to face" (famous quote here among designers)
    congratulation your work is great and it is worth printing
    thanks
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2006
    Thanks for the comments.
    Just wanted to try and make sure I didn't do anything totally stupid :):
    Brian V.
  • Options
    jon3kjon3k Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2006
    As someone else said, my only concern would be that you license the USE of the photos - don't SELL them outright. I would always want to maintain ownership of my own work (even if it ain't that great rolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2006
    jon3k wrote:
    As someone else said, my only concern would be that you license the USE of the photos - don't SELL them outright. I would always want to maintain ownership of my own work (even if it ain't that great rolleyes1.gif)
    I have confirmed with them verbally at the moment, that I retain copyright. So I guess I must be licensing them.
    brian V.
  • Options
    ReneesEyesReneesEyes Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    If you want to get into this kind of thing, you may want to read "Sell and Resell your Photos" by Engh, and "The 2006 Photographer's Market", published yearly. Also worth looking into is "Business and Legal Forms for Photographers" by Tad Crawford.

Good luck! It sounds exciting. If they are coming to you, then half of the work is already done!