Options

Crumpler Karachi Goes for a Ride

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited March 6, 2006 in Accessories
My occasionaly grumpy friend Gus mentioned something about how the Crumpler Karachi, their largest backpack, fits on a motorcyle. What better way to find out, I says to myself, than to actually show him?

In the wilderness if downtown Atlanta, renowned wildlife photographer Patch29 patiently set his blind and waited for an unsuspecting Karachi-wearing motorcyclist to happen by. Patch29's years of stalki... er, observation of wildlife patterns, paid off: he caught this unsuspecting MIF (motorcyclist in flight.)

A careful study later in the lab reveals that this specimen is 6' with an inseam of 32".

58814662-M.jpg

58814665-M.jpg

58815178-M.jpg

Our patch29 is nothing, if not determined. Unwilling to settle for a MIF shot of the Karachi, he gunned the MIF down (in the interests of science, of course) and seized the backpack. With nothing left alive in his immediate vicinity, Patch29 decided to model the thing himself. The results are predictably gory and not for the weak of stomach.

58815527-M.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    But there's no room for the motorcyle babe? ne_nau.gif

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    But there's no room for the motorcyle babe? ne_nau.gif

lol3.gif

Thanks to my advanced degree in origami, I have learned how to fold the motorcyle babe and carry her in the Karachi. But then there's no room for a laptop, so it's a difficult choice.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 6, 2006
    Lookin' good boys! thumb.gif

I see the Karachi has sprouted quite a beefy waist stabilization belt. The previous gen backpacks had a thin one that was better removed altogether.

Now does Patch, the great wildlife photog have the stomach to gut the thing and show us the innards???
    ear.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 6, 2006
    I'll eventually get around to that. The short conclusion is that I thought it would hold more that it does.

I put everything from my shorter but broader Tenba into the Karachi. It baaaarely fit. Whereas I still had room for more junk in the Tenba.

So a disappointment there. On the plus side, it feel more confortable. The padding on the back makes a difference. The shorter Tenba rides higher and is distinctly uncomfortable.

To be fair, I never used the belt on the Tenba, and it's a wide one. I wouldn't call the belt on the Karachi beefy, quite the opposite, at least compared to the Tenba. I think the Karachi scores on comfort because it's padded and it's longer, distributing the load further down the back.

I had complained earlier that the zip on the Karachi was not easy to open. Already, I see it easing up. So scratch that issue.
    Sid.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    If you can read this the Babe fell off
    Or something like that eek7.gif

Fred
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    If you can read this the Babe fell off
    Or something like that eek7.gif

Fred
    lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    To be fair, I never used the belt on the Tenba, and it's a wide one. I wouldn't call the belt on the Karachi beefy, quite the opposite, at least compared to the Tenba. I think the Karachi scores on comfort because it's padded and it's longer, distributing the load further down the back.
    It's beefy compared to the Schrinkle/Farmers Double. And for me, this is actually a negative - the belt (just a strap) on the Schrinkle was easy to remove because it was practically useless. As you say, these packs carry so well, there's not much need for a waist strap - so to clarify what I meant, I do not like that the Karachi seems to have a padded waist strap... unless it can be fully removed.
    ear.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 6, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It's beefy compared to the Schrinkle/Farmers Double. And for me, this is actually a negative - the belt (just a strap) on the Schrinkle was easy to remove because it was practically useless. As you say, these packs carry so well, there's not much need for a waist strap - so to clarify what I meant, I do not like that the Karachi seems to have a padded waist strap... unless it can be fully removed.
    ear.gif
    It's not a padded waiststrap, it's a thin belt. I think you're confusing the belt with the Darien jacket. Look at the Patch piccie, made bigger here. You can see how insubstantial is the belt.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    It's not a padded waiststrap, it's a thin belt. I think you're confusing the belt with the Darien jacket. Look at the Patch piccie, made bigger here. You can see how insubstantial is the belt.
    Ah, now I see. So it should come right off then. Excellent!
    Erik

• Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    6' and 32 inseamheadscratch.gif Most interesting specimen.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    My god you are a handsome man waxy. My beef with the karachi was not tested mate. It was that the karachi has the tripod holder in the middle of the pack thus the legs will hit the seat. With my brians-hot-tub it is on the side & thus clears the seat & juuust misses the pannier.

But i am aware that you have a 'little' tripod....
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Oh snap! lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 6, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    My god you are a handsome man waxy. My beef with the karachi was not tested mate. It was that the karachi has the tripod holder in the middle of the pack thus the legs will hit the seat. With my brians-hot-tub it is on the side & thus clears the seat & juuust misses the pannier.

Ah, I misunderstood you. Well, you can probably eyeball the probabilities just by looking at the shots.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    6' and 32 inseamheadscratch.gif Most interesting specimen.

32"... and to be clear, that's a leg measurement. lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    32"... and to be clear, that's a leg measurement. lol3.gif

So so glad you clarified that minor detail Sid