Options

New Yesterday, by ginger

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 7, 2004 in Wildlife
Yesterday morning, I took the dogs and went to the beach on Sullivan's Island, there I overexposed about 500 shots. I am proud of what I saved. Last night I went back with my husband, took photos of the sunset time. Great time. Wind, heavy winds, I sat on a rock in knee deep water and took some of these photos.
I will never forget what I lost in the morning, what I saved, and the sense of excitement in the evening on the rocks with the tide rising fast.
Morning, then evening:

8121650-M.jpg

8121649-M.jpg

8121648-M.jpg

8121654-M.jpg

8121653-M.jpg

There was a local photographer working on the beach. She was concerned that recognizable photos of the children not get out. Thanks to my exposure problems, I only have one shot where I think the people could be identified. I am not showing it here.

8124197-M.jpg

8124198-M.jpg

8124199-M.jpg

8124194-M.jpg

8139996-M.jpg

Above, that is upon arriving at the beach right after sunset in the evening.

8139995-M.jpg

8139999-M.jpg

8140012-M.jpg

8140011-M.jpg

8140007-M.jpg

8140010-M.jpg

I call my last photo, taken in the morning, I call it SNAFU.............

8121332-M.jpg

Thanks for being here, ginger.
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    8121654-M.jpg

8124194-M.jpg

I like these the best..first could've been made 50 years ago. Like the lightness of it. Other one reminds me of the tennisgirls; love that movement!
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    Great shots...
    Ginger,
    I like the first picture, and the one arriving at the beach in the evening and the two of the girls that Simone picked.
    It's great that you were able to save something out of 500 pics. What a shame that they all were overexposed. I guess you'll be paranoid about checking the settings on your camera in the future. I often forget to change my camera back to the light setting after adjusting for an exceptionally dark shot. It's so aggravating. If you set it manually, you have to take the shot on three different settings, just in case. If they would put decent sized screens on these cameras, with non-glare glass, maybe we could see what we've got before we get home!!
    Snappy
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    8124197-S.jpgGinger I love these pictures.. I actually love that they are over exposed!! I'm nuts I know..

I love this on..and the two girls watching the sea and the other one running..
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    Messed up the baptism, had to reshoot..........
    Thanks everybody. I took a nap, just woke up, am amazed, you all were here!!! That means a lot to me.

I think, and I like all of them, but I think my favorite is #5, the blk and white of the photo shoot, where the one girl turned around and stared at me. I worry that she might be recognizable, if that were actually a problem, I guess I would just put more noise in. I think that photo looks like it could have been taken years ago, too. Except for the modern camera. I love the positioning, especially of the father.

I messed up the baptism this morning, too.headscratch.gif I was paranoid, and I set everything perfectly. Then the couple were late, I got restless, and wandered around taking photos. So that it wouldn't bother anyone, I put the setting so that the flash wouldn't fire.

Yup, took the whole baptism with no flash, didn't notice. flat underexposed photos. So I waited outside to retake a few, which I did. The priest glared at me, and I looked at them again in the car. I will probably use one of the flat underexposed photos, the only really good one of the baby.

I figure I should just go out and shoot for night photos tonight. They would be unusable anyway.rolleyes1.gif:D

Just kidding. I have some stuff to learn re manual settings, night time settings, etc. It is in learning all these different things that give me the tools to mess up. When all I knew was one setting, or two, I did not have the tools to mess up like this.

ginger
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    OK, Ginger, you asked for it...

;)

I love the lighting in this one, but I'm missing a focal point. The lighting is beautiful, though.
    8121650-S.jpg

Again, cool light, especially on the water.
    8121649-S.jpg

You could have a blast with this one, antiquing it. It has a cool look, timeless.
    8121654-S.jpg

I like this one because it tells a story. Maybe because I'm a parent, but I like the moment.

8124199-S.jpg

The movement here is very cool, and shows how a mistake can be turned into a win. Nice moment.

8124194-S.jpg

I think some levels work would help this. Nice shot, needs some pop.

8139996-S.jpg

Nice.

8139995-S.jpg

I'd like to see this one in high-con b/w.

8140012-S.jpg

Same here, but the rocks are too dense. Is there any detail in the rocks that you can dig out? If you can, a high-con b/w would be cool, I think.

8140011-S.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    the two girls, facing the sea ...
    *mint*
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    polo.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    Dave, I couldn't resist....
    Here's a focal point for you. Hehehe.

8211702-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    And how about this one...
    Another focal point for you, but I forgot the pop.

8211701-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    Great, Snappy
    I love them. Red is such a wonderful generic dog! I love my Corgis, but Red is much better for photos. I mean my dogs are great in a photo, of them. But in a landscape or something they detract as they are so obviously Corgis.

You are wonderful for doing that Snappy, just great!!!

ginger
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    polo.jpg
    :lol rolleyes1.gif sid.. you are sooo funny..
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    snapapple wrote:

8211701-M.jpg
    Snappy.. I think I'll add a doggie to everyone of my shots from now on..rolleyes1.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    yow this is *mint*
    snapapple wrote:

8211701-S.jpg

really fine, snappy.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Here's a focal point for you. Hehehe.

8211702-S.jpg

Very funny...

And well done!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    andy wrote:
    really fine, snappy.
    Can photographers collaborate?

I love that dog. Also, he is so well trained, does exactly what Snappy asks him to do. He can move from page to page, even across country.

In addition to being a "looker", he is that rare breed, a "mover".

Smile, ginger
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Can photographers collaborate?

I love that dog. Also, he is so well trained, does exactly what Snappy asks him to do. He can move from page to page, even across country.

In addition to being a "looker", he is that rare breed, a "mover".

Smile, ginger

Isn't that pose in the horizontal one great? I couldn't believe my luck. He looks like he's looking out to sea or something. I was going out for my walk in the morning and the dogs were coming along. I decided to try for a couple of shots with the sun in the right direction to add to your beach shots. Red saw a lizzard running up the garage wall and I took the shot. I did a horizontal flip to get it going in the right direction. The sun is on his right and on his tail. Couldnt' be better. Maybe it could use a bird up there for him to look at? I thought I'd leave well enough alone and leave the subject up to the viewer. Anyway, I only took about 5 shots of Red. I took a few more of my Rotti, but she looks dumb for pictures. It's funny how generic Red is and how he looks good in a landscape. He's an "everyman's" dog, I guess.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    Red in a folder......
    snapapple wrote:
    Isn't that pose in the horizontal one great? I couldn't believe my luck. He looks like he's looking out to sea or something. I was going out for my walk in the morning and the dogs were coming along. I decided to try for a couple of shots with the sun in the right direction to add to your beach shots. Red saw a lizzard running up the garage wall and I took the shot. I did a horizontal flip to get it going in the right direction. The sun is on his right and on his tail. Couldnt' be better. Maybe it could use a bird up there for him to look at? I thought I'd leave well enough alone and leave the subject up to the viewer. Anyway, I only took about 5 shots of Red. I took a few more of my Rotti, but she looks dumb for pictures. It's funny how generic Red is and how he looks good in a landscape. He's an "everyman's" dog, I guess.
    Some people, most, keep folders for skys and clouds, sunsets and rises.

I assume you DO have a "Red" folder..................... you know, for when the situation calls......... If you don't, you might give it a thought.

Snappy, when you go for a real gorgeous walk with Red, and he is with you, you take the photo. Gosh, you are going to be exclaming over and over; but that was really Red On the walk with me.

Smile,
    ginger

(Just woke up a bit ago, I don't understand the new proceedure, maybe I can just watch this one????)
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 7, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Very funny...

And well done!
    8211702-S.jpg

Not only did you add the dog, but the shadow as well - verry nicely done!clap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    Yes, the horizontal one is especially great. I think the scenic I took is kind of painterly. Why are some painterly and some not?

Anyway, Red did his painterly pose you extracted him, and he did fit in especially well. And you find the perfect places, too. To put him, I mean.

ginger
    Does he get paid in "treat" form for this as a model, or does he just enjoy it. Maybe the walk is his reward.