Options

* challenge 21: houses of parliament, london

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 7, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
so here's an example post for comments and critique. notice the * in the subject line. when i've gotten the c&c i need, i'll remove the *.

8242387-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    Nice shot, Andy. I think the water is a bit too blurred for my taste and the buildings seem over-sharpened. Maybe add a moon in the sky for some interest...

lol3.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Nice shot, Andy. I think the water is a bit too blurred for my taste and the buildings seem over-sharpened. Maybe add a moon in the sky for some interest...

lol3.gifrolleyes1.gif

thanks dj - appreciate the feedback!
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    Nice shot Andy...
    andy wrote:
    thanks dj - appreciate the feedback!

I also find the water a little distracting. Was it like that? If so, I guess your stuck. If not, reducing the blur might help.

So If I were to put in a shot, which I don't have yet, would it go right here?
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    I, uh, would walk across that water, then roll it up, put it in storage and leave it there.

That is the worst water I have ever seen, however.....

My question might have been answered, but how do we do this in a multiple way??

I never put just one photo up? Do I start 10 or more threads over the life of the challenge?? Scary, isn't it.

I could put up one from last night, almost as bad as the water, but I am in a hurry. Bad weather here, tornado watches/warnings from Frances, a swirling hurricane situation with grey skies, and I am supposed to drive across town.

Oh, and Andy, at some point I do need/want some exposure answers/tutorial.

I will post, one, two, three photos later with problems. The only thing I didn't get were people, they disappeared in the blur, all one or two of them, and I didn't get car lights, only one of those, except on the highways where we couldn't stop.

But my exposures, etc, were off, .............. later.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    here's what the water looked like ...
    7944715-L.jpg

this version was my first cut at editing - nothing done on the water - just the effect of a long exposure (6 seconds).

the one on the top of this post, that's been ps'd. thanks to all of you for your feedback, i appreciate it :D
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    where to put in a shot for c&c
    snapapple wrote:
    I also find the water a little distracting. Was it like that? If so, I guess your stuck. If not, reducing the blur might help.

So If I were to put in a shot, which I don't have yet, would it go right here?

snappy, here's what you do

start a new thread in photo challenges
    put *challenge 21: {your photo title} in the subject line
    link your pic in the message
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    don't hold back, ginger :)
    ginger, thanks for letting me know how you feel about my photo, i really appreciate it, i mean that!

i'd say, if you have 2 or 3 related photos, you could put them in one thread ginger. remember, it's time for you to be able to cull your own work, too. if you have a dozen shots, you should be able to pick 2 or 3 or 4 of those and then ask the group to help. it's hard to ask the group to pick from many many shots.

my .02 :D
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I, uh, would walk across that water, then roll it up, put it in storage and leave it there.

That is the worst water I have ever seen, however.....

My question might have been answered, but how do we do this in a multiple way??

I never put just one photo up? Do I start 10 or more threads over the life of the challenge?? Scary, isn't it.

I could put up one from last night, almost as bad as the water, but I am in a hurry. Bad weather here, tornado watches/warnings from Frances, a swirling hurricane situation with grey skies, and I am supposed to drive across town.

Oh, and Andy, at some point I do need/want some exposure answers/tutorial.

I will post, one, two, three photos later with problems. The only thing I didn't get were people, they disappeared in the blur, all one or two of them, and I didn't get car lights, only one of those, except on the highways where we couldn't stop.

But my exposures, etc, were off, .............. later.

ginger
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    Brave comment Ginger...
    ginger_55 wrote:

That is the worst water I have ever seen,

... Do I start 10 or more threads over the life of the challenge?? Scary, isn't it.

ginger

Tsk tsk, Ginger, remember, "If you can't say something nice..." However, it is a creative and humerous comment rolleyes1.gif
    I'm sure Andy has a sense of humor.

I get it. I start a new thread for my possible entries. Other pictures taken in the process of shooting and culling can go in a thread of their own "without" an asterisk, if I just want to share. This way all possibles by one person go in their own thread, and all comments are together. Sounds good. Now to try some shooting. Never shot at night before.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    7944715-S.jpg

8242387-S.jpg

My question is what you did to the sky to get it to look like that. Was all that color there, and you pulled it out, or did you create it?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    7944715-S.jpg

8242387-S.jpg

My question is what you did to the sky to get it to look like that. Was all that color there, and you pulled it out, or did you create it?

the color is there, in the original raw files. these shots were about 20 minutes apart.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    David, I would have had the same question. I do not shoot, RAW, Andy. As it is I am having a lot of problems with storage and memory. I know you think I should shoot raw, not yet, not now.

My skies are often like that If I darken one side, I am going to darken the other side, that has been my assumption.

Thanks, David, for asking my question re the sky, I guess I just thought he got those skys by magic, or something.

ginger

Oh, Andy, we take the star thing off of the title when we have had enough feedback, what if we add photos.

And those photos were taken last night downtown. If I go somewhere else, the theme is different, do I start a different thread??? Should I not put any photos on until I have one I know I will enter?

I do have questions, and I posed some with those photos. So it is a help to be able to post them like that.

ginger again, later, gotta go somewhere.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    Hey Andy, my original reply was not serious...I distinctly used the "hey I'm not serious" smilies! rolleyes1.gif But since this has turned into serious-ness, there was a grain or 2 of truth in there.

The water did look a bit strange at first glance, although I understood the reason for it. I mean, in those lighting conditions how could you do any better?

The edges of the clock tower against the sky have something going on there. I'm used to seeing that in my shots if I over-sharpen them or if I photoshop with a mask to mess with one area and leave the other alone. The border between the two usually looks a bit funky. Whatever it is in your case (probably neither of the above), it was a bit distracting to me.

The moon comment I just threw in there to be funny, not a grain of truth in that one at all.

So there, I feel better now that my original intent is understood! :D
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    dj i got you don't worry :)
    i think i worked on this one too late at night last night, and i'm also on some serious painkillers due to an inflamed tooth, going to the endodontist tonight :puke1

thanks
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Hey Andy, my original reply was not serious...I distinctly used the "hey I'm not serious" smilies! rolleyes1.gif But since this has turned into serious-ness, there was a grain or 2 of truth in there.

The water did look a bit strange at first glance, although I understood the reason for it. I mean, in those lighting conditions how could you do any better?

The edges of the clock tower against the sky have something going on there. I'm used to seeing that in my shots if I over-sharpen them or if I photoshop with a mask to mess with one area and leave the other alone. The border between the two usually looks a bit funky. Whatever it is in your case (probably neither of the above), it was a bit distracting to me.

The moon comment I just threw in there to be funny, not a grain of truth in that one at all.

So there, I feel better now that my original intent is understood! :D
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    andy wrote:
    ...and i'm also on some serious painkillers due to an inflamed tooth, going to the endodontist tonight :puke1
    Yuck! Hope you feel better soon.