Options

Lenses

GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited September 7, 2004 in Accessories
Ok, I'm already starting to realize that the stock EF-S 18-55 lens for my Drebel won't do all that I want (it's still a great lens. very impressed with it so far). So, I'm looking for recomendations.

First I would like to get a Telephoto Zoom (I think). Then a nice little macro lens.

Any recomendations? Doesn't have to be a Canon, btw.

Also and good web site that reviews lenses?

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited September 3, 2004
    Guzzler wrote:
    Ok, I'm already starting to realize that the stock EF-S 18-55 lens for my Drebel won't do all that I want (it's still a great lens. very impressed with it so far). So, I'm looking for recomendations.

First I would like to get a Telephoto Zoom (I think). Then a nice little macro lens.

Any recomendations? Doesn't have to be a Canon, btw.

Also and good web site that reviews lenses?
    Everyone knows what I'll say... :D I'm in love with the Canon 70-200mm IS f/2.8 zoom. iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif It rocks and rolls.

I just received the 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom and I love it too. Autofocus works better on f/2.8 and wider lenses.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2004
    Baldy's love affair with the 70-200 continues unabated. It is a great lens. I think the 24-70 is more practical, but doesn't produce the same background blur, of course.

How much zoom are you wanting?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Everyone knows what I'll say... :D I'm in love with the Canon 70-200mm IS f/2.8 zoom. iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif It rocks and rolls.

I just received the 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom and I love it too. Autofocus works better on f/2.8 and wider lenses.

I agree with Baldy--minus the emoticons, of course ;)

Well, almost. I have the 70-200 f4, no IS.

It's a great lens, less weight, cheaper. I shoot 90% of my stuff with it. I have a hard time putting the EFS kit lens back on my digirebel.

I bought mine used for $500 from our very own lynnesite (with a high quality filter)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2004
    I've seen Baldy's lens and what it can do. Yea!!! But... lets lower the price, abit... eh? I kinda shot my wad on the camera already. I guess I forgot to mention that.

What's the concensus on the EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM lens? It picks up from the stock EF-S lens (I think).

I'm not necessarily tied to Canon lenses, by the way. I'm seriously considering a used lens.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    I agree with Baldy--minus the emoticons, of course ;)

Well, almost. I have the 70-200 f4, no IS.

It's a great lens, less weight, cheaper. I shoot 90% of my stuff with it. I have a hard time putting the EFS kit lens back on my digirebel.

I bought mine used for $500 from our very own lynnesite (with a high quality filter)
    The 70-200 f2.8L IS is an outstanding lens as is the 24-70 2.8L. The IS on the 70-200 has been improved to give 3 f-stop intead of the 2 stops of the 100-400. Wicked cool lens
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2004
    Guzzler wrote:
    I've seen Baldy's lens and what it can do. Yea!!! But... lets lower the price, abit... eh? I kinda shot my wad on the camera already. I guess I forgot to mention that.

What's the concensus on the EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM lens? It picks up from the stock EF-S lens (I think).

I'm not necessarily tied to Canon lenses, by the way. I'm seriously considering a used lens.

Guzz, check out this site for a chart that rates lenses. The EF 55-200 is in the third box down, and is based on the feedback from 7 users.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2004
    glass envy
    wxwax wrote:
    Guzz, check out this site for a chart that rates lenses. The EF 55-200 is in the third box down, and is based on the feedback from 7 users.

Cool site! Great info. Unfortunately, after reading the reviews, its one more reason to stop using my 75-300 and buy that 70-200/2.8L. :(
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    Cool site! Great info. Unfortunately, after reading the reviews, its one more reason to stop using my 75-300 and buy that 70-200/2.8L. :(

I spend a lot of time on that site. I'm looking for a good mid-priced zoom & it always brings me back to wanting the most expensive ones. :bash

Dave
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2004
    zoom zoom
    dkapp wrote:
    I spend a lot of time on that site. I'm looking for a good mid-priced zoom & it always brings me back to wanting the most expensive ones. :bash

Dave

I do like my 28-135 better than my 75-300, and reviews on that site confirm that. Don't know how much reach you are wanting in a mid-priced zoom.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2004
    is there anything wrong with
    wxwax wrote:

trying it and seeing if you like it? this is what i do. sites like that skeer me! and my eyes hurt now :D

i touch feel smell it. put it under my pillow for a night or two. if all goes well, i keep it. if not, out it goes.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    I do like my 28-135 better than my 75-300, and reviews on that site confirm that. Don't know how much reach you are wanting in a mid-priced zoom.

I would like something to reach 200mm. I'm a Nikon user, and wish they had an equivalent to the Canon 70-200 f/4.0L. That is the focal length I want in my price range. Its physically as big as I want to go. Maybe Nikon will release one soon. ne_nau.gif

I go everywhere on foot and will not carry around a large f/2.8 zoom all day.

I've been doing the buy, try sell method for awhile. The last lens was the Sigma 70-300 Super Macro II. Optically it was OK. It was very slow to focus and very loud. Out the door it went. The Nikon equivalent has also suffered a similar fate....

Dave
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2004
    buy, try, sell
    dkapp wrote:
    I've been doing the buy, try sell method for awhile. The last lens was the Sigma 70-300 Super Macro II. Optically it was OK. It was very slow to focus and very loud. Out the door it went. The Nikon equivalent has also suffered a similar fate....

I guess I'm lucky. My local camera dealer has two better alternatives to the buy/try/sell route. They have lenses you can rent, and they have a nice return policy. I've made use of both and it works well for me. It makes me feel good about purchasing from them. I've rented a 200mm/2.8L, and a 80-200/2.8L from them. Looking over my own photos, I see those lenses have a higher hit-rate than my consumer grade lenses. Guess I convinced myself to buy :)
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    I guess I'm lucky. My local camera dealer has two better alternatives to the buy/try/sell route. They have lenses you can rent, and they have a nice return policy. I've made use of both and it works well for me. It makes me feel good about purchasing from them. I've rented a 200mm/2.8L, and a 80-200/2.8L from them. Looking over my own photos, I see those lenses have a higher hit-rate than my consumer grade lenses. Guess I convinced myself to buy :)
    I've got the same thing at my local shop (Tempe Camera Repair). I finally looked at their lens rental rates, not bad (cheaper than renting a body). Think I might give it a shot. I just have to plan a day or two of shooting.

One thing I will definately pick up today (when finish working) is an eye-piece extender. I am already tired of smashing my nose into the display (I've gots a big nose umph.gif)
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2004
    Guzzler wrote:
    One thing I will definately pick up today (when finish working) is an eye-piece extender. I am already tired of smashing my nose into the display (I've gots a big nose umph.gif)

nod.gif Me too. I know what you mean. You know what they say about guys with big noses, right? :D
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    nod.gif Me too. I know what you mean. You know what they say about guys with big noses, right? :D
    Hmmmmm... I'm not going there.

Well, couldn't get to the shop in time, had to work this weekend, so went today. Darn it, they sold all their eye piece extenders. Have to wait for a fresh shipment. :cry

Talked to another sales person. They really recommend the 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM as an entry level telezoom lens (instead of the EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM). Apparently they have sold over 400 of the 300mm lenses, just this year alone, vs. just under 20 of the 200mm lens.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    Guzzler wrote:
    Hmmmmm... I'm not going there.

Well, couldn't get to the shop in time, had to work this weekend, so went today. Darn it, they sold all their eye piece extenders. Have to wait for a fresh shipment. :cry

Talked to another sales person. They really recommend the 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM as an entry level telezoom lens (instead of the EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM). Apparently they have sold over 400 of the 300mm lenses, just this year alone, vs. just under 20 of the 200mm lens.

Thoughts?
    Guzzler, love your avatar BTW, I have a 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 III USM (non IS). I bought it I think in January as an inexpensive zoom. It is very light and works well. The reviews on the lens are not that great, but it does a pretty good job and is very cheap. I would recommend it as a starter lens, realizing it is not going to give you L quality. I bet you could pick one up used for about $100. I am going to upgrade to a 70-200 f/2.8 later this year (hopefully a xmas present to myself:D ). I think I'll keep my 75-300 as a second lens when I don't want to drag around the big dog.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com