Options

Help!

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited September 8, 2004 in Accessories
A while ago I got into deep doggy doo when I commented, and asked ( obviously not wording the question correctly)about a portrait done by Mustang freak.

At that time I indicated I was seeing what I can only describe as artifacts.

This am I went over to my neighbors house to check out the new computer we picked up the night befor and to see how well ( if up and running) his new DSL was performing.

I went imediatly to this site and looked at some photos. The speed was very nice compared to my dial up. :D

Also the image quality seemed very impresive. He has a low end 17 "monitor with an on board nVidia G fource vidio card.

I went and looked at mustang Freaks best friend photo, and WaLa! clear as the prvebial bell.

Question: What do you think is the issue with my setup? I have a Sony Vaio pentium 4 (plenty fast enough). It has an Intel Extream Graphics with max 64 MB dynamically shared memory. The monitor is a ViewSonic 19" A90-f+.

I am thinking a new seperate vidio board with dedicated memory might be the answer.

What say you who know more about this than I do?

Sam

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    A while ago I got into deep doggy doo when I commented, and asked ( obviously not wording the question correctly)about a portrait done by Mustang freak.

This am I went over to my neighbors house to check out the new computer we picked up the night befor and to see how well ( if up and running) his new DSL was performing.

I went imediatly to this site and looked at some photos. The speed was very nice compared to my dial up. :D

Also the image quality seemed very impresive. He has a low end 17 "monitor with an on board nVidia G fource vidio card.

I went and looked at mustang Freaks best friend photo, and WaLa! clear as the prvebial bell.

Question: What do you think is the issue with my setup? I have a Sony Vaio pentium 4 (plenty fast enough). It has an Intel Extream Graphics with max 64 MB dynamically shared memory. The monitor is a ViewSonic 19" A90-f+.

I am thinking a new seperate vidio board with dedicated memory might be the answer.

Sam
    Hang in there Sam.... the techie's are all outside playing in the mud, when it gets too dark to play one of them I'm sure will help you with your question.
    :D Lynn
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hang in there Sam.... the techie's are all outside playing in the mud, when it gets too dark to play one of them I'm sure will help you with your question.
    :D Lynn
    Thanks for the response. I just got through installing a new graphics card, and while I think I'll keep it, the problem is still present. So it it ether my monitor, (9 mo old ViewSonic 19") or related to dial up. Everthing seems to look ok in Photo Shop. No atificial artifacs. But online things get dicey.
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Thanks for the response. I just got through installing a new graphics card, and while I think I'll keep it, the problem is still present. So it it ether my monitor, (9 mo old ViewSonic 19") or related to dial up. Everthing seems to look ok in Photo Shop. No atificial artifacs. But online things get dicey.
    There's a quick way to tell who (or what) the culprit is. Take screenshot of the artifact and post it online here. If none of us can see it, it's your monitor. If all of us see it, it should be your video card.

Dial-up is definitely not responsible for this. It may display an image slower than DSL, but once it's fully loaded, well, it's fully loaded.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    There's a quick way to tell who (or what) the culprit is. Take screenshot of the artifact and post it online here. If none of us can see it, it's your monitor. If all of us see it, it should be your video card.

Dial-up is definitely not responsible for this. It may display an image slower than DSL, but once it's fully loaded, well, it's fully loaded.
    Ok lets see if i can copy and paste this.

rita1.jpg

Ok that worked. I will send this and see how it looks to me once posted.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    Sam wrote:

This does not look good on my monitor. The face is not clean and crisp. The only way I can drscribe it is it looks like artificial artifacs of some type. Look slike the frecles are distorted.

Is this clear on your monitor?
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    Sam wrote:

I can see the photo fine but I don't see any noticeable artifacts or issues within it. Where exactly do you see them?

Also, when you open a similar picture do you notice artifacts more or less around the same location on your monitor? This might indicate a problem in that particular quadrant of the screen.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    Sam, I remember not understanding your comment earlier about artifacts.

I don't see any in this shot. Are you talking about pixelization of the image of some kind? And, do all web pages look funky, or just some photos on dgrin?

And do you know what your monitor settings are, what resolution you have it st at? I'm no expert, but perhaps your answers to these questions will draw the attention of someone who can help.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Sam, I remember not understanding your comment earlier about artifacts.

I don't see any in this shot. Are you talking about pixelization of the image of some kind? And, do all web pages look funky, or just some photos on dgrin?

And do you know what your monitor settings are, what resolution you have it st at? I'm no expert, but perhaps your answers to these questions will draw the attention of someone who can help.
    Thanks for your replys. This lets me know there is something amiss with my set up. I just bought a new graphics card, and although it might be a little better the basic problem is still there. I have a ViewSonic A90f+ 19". Resolution is set at 1260 X 1024 Photo Shop looks good as does everything else. Problem becomes apparent with some photos from online. It's not in one location, it's not pixelazation. The face is just the worst example (on my monitor) Other photos can have small iregular patches, and or wavy area around edges. Might be my monitor. I am going to try and borrow one and plug into my set up.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Thanks for your replys. This lets me know there is something amiss with my set up. I just bought a new graphics card, and although it might be a little better the basic problem is still there. I have a ViewSonic A90f+ 19". Resolution is set at 1260 X 1024 Photo Shop looks good as does everything else. Problem becomes apparent with some photos from online. It's not in one location, it's not pixelazation. The face is just the worst example (on my monitor) Other photos can have small iregular patches, and or wavy area around edges. Might be my monitor. I am going to try and borrow one and plug into my set up.

Have you tried different browsers? It sounds like your web browser may not be processing the image correctly. I have had this happen before on my work laptop & IE.

Dave
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    I've also been through it
    I was never really sure what the problem was, but I also went through exactly what you're talking about. Like stated above, I'm pretty sure its explorer. I couldn't tell you why it happens, but I don't see why it would be your monitor or graphics card if the photos look good in PS. I ended up sweeping my entire computer and reinstalling windows (for other reasons) - but it also fixed my IE viewing problem. Possibly a bug? Anyone hear of this? I don't know any other advice than to start windows from scratch.

Drastic I know ne_nau.gif

Either that or go and get yourself a Mac. I just got my first Powerbook and I will never go back to Windows. Do they make Safari Explorer for Windows yet? If so, download it, its an altogether better explorer, and it may even fix your pixelation issue. Good Luck. It's annoying I know.
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    Sounds like IE to me, too. If this doesn't happen in *all* applications, then your monitor is fine.

Try out Firefox and see if that helps.

www.mozilla.org

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    If You Find The Answer?
    Sam wrote:

Sam
    JWEAR wrote:
    I think i see the same thing you do in the photos.The face you posted i saw what you were saying and now that i look around at shots in forums [ water ect ] I see the same lines ???????? but not all the shots JEFF
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Have you tried different browsers? It sounds like your web browser may not be processing the image correctly. I have had this happen before on my work laptop & IE.

Dave
    The saga continues:

I am using aol 9.0. I tried internet exporer from within aol dial up, and it produced the same results. I tried a different monitor, same results. At this point I believe it's got to be linked to aol. They may be using some type of file compression to make it seem like aol is faster than it really is. No! I am not going to put myself through the torture of calling those...........(word, find a word with more than four letters) ah.....um.wonderfully inept unqualified nonservice reps.

Next step, find someone with aol installed on thier machine and see if the results are the same.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    They may be using some type of file compression to make it seem like aol is faster than it really is.
    This is *very* possible. And you're right, calling them will only aggravate you more. :D

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    The saga continues:

I am using aol 9.0. I tried internet exporer from within aol dial up, and it produced the same results. I tried a different monitor, same results. At this point I believe it's got to be linked to aol. They may be using some type of file compression to make it seem like aol is faster than it really is. No! I am not going to put myself through the torture of calling those...........(word, find a word with more than four letters) ah.....um.wonderfully inept unqualified nonservice reps.

Next step, find someone with aol installed on thier machine and see if the results are the same.

BOOOOOOO!!!!!
    Down with AOL!!!!

(Like former smokers who are the most vehement anti-smokers, former AOL users can be very outspoken when provoked.)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    BOOOOOOO!!!!!
    Down with AOL!!!!

(Like former smokers who are the most vehement anti-smokers, former AOL users can be very outspoken when provoked.)

I had the same problem you guys are talking about. I fixed it with a program called Registry Mechanic. When you use it to scan for problems, it will find lots of problems in your shared files. But, just repair the ones in the "shortcuts" and the rest will go away. AOL messes up all your links or shortcuts. My IE has not worked since I installed AOL 9. I use Netscape now. But this program works to repair the mess. It's not expensive and it has saved me a couple of times. Just 2 days ago was the last time. http://www.winguides.com/regmech/
    Good Luck
    Snappy
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    To all using AOL, for the sake of mankind, cancel it. There can't possibly be a worse monthly payment to be made.
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    To all using AOL, for the sake of mankind, cancel it. There can't possibly be a worse monthly payment to be made.
    Sad part is, in Miami, Aol is nearly $30/mth. If one actually shops around, they would find out that Bellsouth Dial-up is only $17/mth when paid a year in advance.

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    aol and Sam
    Sad part is, in Miami, Aol is nearly $30/mth. If one actually shops around, they would find out that Bellsouth Dial-up is only $17/mth when paid a year in advance.
    jwear wrote:
    Sam you and i both have aol 9 so maybe that s it aol does s---
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    OH GOD, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, cancel your AOL. It isn't worth it for all the damage that software can do your system.

Trust me on this (I work on systems for a liviing, home and business). I have just recently re-instated my policy of "If you hav AOL installed, I will NOT touch your system. I have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason."

With AOL 9.0+ they have gone back to their old ways of replacing a whole bunch of normal system files with their own stuff, which is a royal pain in the "A" to get rid of. It's actually quicker to backup your data, and format the drive with a fresh O/S install.

If you are stuck on dial-up, shop around and try to find a service provider that uses just the built in O/S software for dial-up and internet conectivitiy. Or don't care which software you use for a browser, e-mail client, news, etc. It will more than likely be cheaper than AOL.

Now if you have broadband (cable, DSL, satellite), there is absolutely NO reason to have AOL. If you say "But I don't want to have to change my e-mail address!!!!" Tough. Don't be that person with @aol.com at the end of your username, it isn't worth all the snide remarks people say behind your back.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    Guzzler wrote:
    OH GOD, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, cancel your AOL. It isn't worth it for all the damage that software can do your system.

Trust me on this (I work on systems for a liviing, home and business). I have just recently re-instated my policy of "If you hav AOL installed, I will NOT touch your system. I have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason."

With AOL 9.0+ they have gone back to their old ways of replacing a whole bunch of normal system files with their own stuff, which is a royal pain in the "A" to get rid of. It's actually quicker to backup your data, and format the drive with a fresh O/S install.

If you are stuck on dial-up, shop around and try to find a service provider that uses just the built in O/S software for dial-up and internet conectivitiy. Or don't care which software you use for a browser, e-mail client, news, etc. It will more than likely be cheaper than AOL.

Now if you have broadband (cable, DSL, satellite), there is absolutely NO reason to have AOL. If you say "But I don't want to have to change my e-mail address!!!!" Tough. Don't be that person with @aol.com at the end of your username, it isn't worth all the snide remarks people say behind your back.
    My thoughts were to get SBC DSL, and keep the less expensive aol service to use from within the Yahoo DSL environment. I have some reasons I would like to maintain aol.

That said, now I am concerned about this approch. Do you forsee any real problems with installing the SBC DSL while aol 9.0 is installed on my computer?

Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    jwear wrote:
    JWEAR wrote:
    I think i see the same thing you do in the photos.The face you posted i saw what you were saying and now that i look around at shots in forums [ water ect ] I see the same lines ???????? but not all the shots JEFF
    OK, back to the subject at hand. I think I have it diagnosed. If I right click on the (best friend) photo and try to "save as" in a non aol connection, I have the choice to save as a jpg, or bit map. If I try this with my computer (aol) I have a choice of .art, or bit map. I am reasonably certain aol is incorporating some type of compression operation converting some files to this .art file formate to speed up the connection

It just doesn't work all that well.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    Guzzler wrote:

After Tropical Storm Gaston came through, we did not have cable for 48 hrs, our phone was there, and our electricity came back in about 10 hrs. We have cable for our computer with the AOL thing with cable like Sam is talking about. Because of it, we could revert to dial up and get back online.

What is AOL doing to my system?

I have e-mail coming both places, that is not a problem, but other considerations are. Not insurmountable, but it is nice in its own way. And it did get us online where the cable people were hiding behind a recording.

ginger (AOL is difficult to use when my computer is being temperamental, I will say that I have not used it for two days, because when I put photos on, the computer just about goes into shock and AOL is just too much for its system.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    Ginger,

The problems I have run into with AOL, is that it lays down alot of proprietary files, replacing perfecting functioning files. Long ago, they were really guilty of doing this, and finally got caught.

The were also caught sending information back to their servers on what was installed on your system. Which would explain why they put down their own files.

Alot of people went ape over this, and AOL mended it ways.

Things were good, but for some reason with their new 9.0 interface, I have been getting more and more calls about peoples systems acting up. I go over, work, dig, and try to figure out what is going on. I also have to prod the people on "What was the last thing you did or done before everything went wrong?" I always get the same answer "Nut'n". Sighh... prod some more, and it always turns out "Oh, I upgrade to AOL 9.0" or "AOL sent down some new upgrades." Aaaaarrrggghhh!!!!! I usually end up saying "Go call AOL support. I'm outta here, and it don't bother paying me."

I just don't feel like playing 'detective' and trying to figure out which files AOL is replacing. It takes some time to do this.

It still boggles my mind with people on DSL connections. They have to pay for the DSL line to their phone company. Then, they have to pay for an ISP (sometimes it is the phone company). THEN they pay for AOL, ON TOP of everything else!!!!!! Talk about paying three times for something, and around here DSL is on the low end of speed.

As for weather outages... I look at it as a nice break. Go outside survey the damage, take pictures!!! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2004
    Guzzler wrote:
    Ginger,

The problems I have run into with AOL...
    I used to work for Bank of America Customer Service a few years ago in the fraud department. I always got 2 types of calls more than anything else.

1. Porn charges being contested.
    2. AOL charges being contested. They just keep on billing and they even sign you up for stuff like free credit reports, etc.

We hated those calls with a passion. I warn everyone about AOL...especially when it comes down to cancelling. I remember most customers had to close and reopen new bank accounts just to get them to stop billing. That is sad.