Options

Extended Warranty For Digital Camera

photoman03photoman03 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited October 13, 2006 in Cameras
Has anyone here been fooled by the Mack warranty? I purchased that warranty for my S1, but found out later that if you do not fill it out and send it in within 30 days, it is no good. I lost $280, and Mack did not care.
I bought an S2, and did not fall for it again. Someone on another forum site told me where I could get an extended warranty, and it will not break my pocket. The best thing is that if you still have at least 90 days left on your orginal warranty, you can still by one from this place. I purchased a 5 year for $185, that was at least $200 cheaper then B&H.
If anyone else has been fooled by the Mack warranty, please feel free to vent.

Wop

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2004
    What's the new place? ear.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    fotoheavenfotoheaven Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 31, 2004
    Yes, I have been fooled by the same thing. What is the name of this site? I want to check it out.
    Frank
    photoman03 wrote:
    Has anyone here been fooled by the Mack warranty? I purchased that warranty for my S1, but found out later that if you do not fill it out and send it in within 30 days, it is no good. I lost $280, and Mack did not care.
    I bought an S2, and did not fall for it again. Someone on another forum site told me where I could get an extended warranty, and it will not break my pocket. The best thing is that if you still have at least 90 days left on your orginal warranty, you can still by one from this place. I purchased a 5 year for $185, that was at least $200 cheaper then B&H.
    If anyone else has been fooled by the Mack warranty, please feel free to vent.

Wop
  • Options
    photoman03photoman03 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 2, 2004
    Sorry, I forgot to leave the web-site. www.scarolainc.com is the site.
    I also did some checking, and the warranty company they use is one of the largest in the US. I also found out that buy.com and Fuji FIlm use the same warranty company. Of course, they charge way to much for the same warranty then this site.
    I went there and purchased a warranty for my 51' TV I got for the Super Bowl (Great Game). Best Buy wanted to charge me $375 for a 2 year in home warranty.
    I paid $159 for a 5 year from the site.
    The best thing is, they fill out all the forms for you and send your copies to you priority mail.

Good Luck
  • Options
    fotoheavenfotoheaven Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2004
    Thank you for the tip on the site! I purchased the 60 month for my S2. I wish I would have know about this when I bought my S1, it would have saved me $200.

Thanks again, and I think I will buy the warranty for my sons X-box also. It couldn't hurt to have it. The way he treats his toys.

Fotoheaven
  • Options
    SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2004
    Well, this thread scared the shiznit outta me, because I bought the Mack warranty for my Olympus. I'd purchased the Olympus through Buydig.com, and when I made the purchase (online) I followed up the next day.. well, I had to because I'd entered my cc # incorrectly. Sheesh.. anyway, in speaking with the customer service rep, who was pretty helpful, it was made very clear to me that I absolutely had to register my warranty within 30 days of purchase. This is stated on a silver label on the exterior of the plastic package the warranty card comes in, as well as on the card itself. I called the site because I registered my warranty online, and have been assured that online registration is still valid.

Has your experience with their warranty service been any different? Were you mislead? If so, I'd like to know, because I'm still well within my window to dispute the charge with my cc company.

It pays to patronize a place with good customer service, as well as read EVERYTHING as soon as you get it! I almost got hosed on my rebate(s) for my new monitor because it wasn't made clear to me upon purchase that the $100 rebate was actually two $50 rebates. Then, I didn't read the receipts carefully and sent both sets of rebate receipts to the same place, who allowed that they did indeed have them, but flat out REFUSED to send me back the receipt for the other rebate. Boy was I pissed! But, I pled a good case, spoke with the store manager, got the paperwork needed to send in the second rebate, and they made good on it even though all the rules had been broken. Btw, this was (of all places) Best Buy.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    CalKiddCalKidd Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    I was looking for information about Mack warranty and saw this post. Well, www.scarolainc.com appears to no longer to be around.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    CalKidd wrote:
    I was looking for information about Mack warranty and saw this post. Well, www.scarolainc.com appears to no longer to be around.

Followed the above link to find this:

Notice: This domain name expired on 02/19/06 and is pending renewal or deletion
    www.scarolainc.com
    spc_trans.gif
    This page is parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com
    godaddy1_153x73.gif spc_trans.gifSponsored LinksVisit GoDaddy.com for the best values on: Domain Names, Web hosting, Web Site Builders, Email Accounts, Secure SSL Certificates, Ecommerce Products AND MORE! See product catalog

GoDaddy.com is the world's No. 1 ICANN-accredited domain name registrar for .COM, .NET, .ORG, .INFO, .BIZ and .US domain extensions.
    Source: Name Intelligence, Inc. 2005
    Copyright ® 1999-2006 Go Daddy Software, Inc. All rights reserved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I have had several of the 5yr Mack warranties on my previous 35mm cameras and never paid over $75 and yes I had to have fill out and mailed my camera mfg registration card and also had to activate my Mack as the instructions said to do....but never had any problems with them.

There is a company called warrantech / repairmaster that has dealers that will sell you upto a 4yr warranty on your digital under $1000 for 185, but they have not been around anywhere near as long as Mack and Mack's warranties are International.....the others aren't except in the carribean and parts of central / so america.

I think problems arise with the Mack Warranty from dealers who will charge you what ever YOUR willing to pay basically.....I have seen them on ebay for under $80.

B/H is a decent company however some of their products are way over priced, but then you find this with all retail stores.

IT PAYS TO SHOP AROUND...as the song says.

Also if you can add a ridder to your homeowners insurance policy for "REPLACEMENT COST" of your equipment, then this the best insurance...as the others are simply warranties and if they have any reason to suspect the equipment to have been treated roughly [abused] they will refuse to fix it under warranty.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    The Mack warranty can be filled out online with no need to mail the card and worry about the postal service.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    syntheticzerosyntheticzero Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 13, 2006
    Extended Warranty for Digital Camera
    I want to share a bad experience with Mack Camera repair. My warranty was for a laptop but I think it reflects on their company as a whole. I bought a 3-year warranty and sent it in when a hinge broke after 2 years.

First, they said nothing was covered under warranty.

Then, they said: not only was the hinge needing repair, they wanted to replace the fan, keyboard, and for some reason, the hard drive, which they claimed evidenced problems under diagnostics. All for $425.

First of all, I told them, okay, I don't want the hard drive replaced. It was purchased for me by my company and I don't need it changed. Then I said, I don't want the keyboard replaced. It was working fine before I sent the laptop in. Sure, there was cat hair in it, but this is my backup machine. I don't need a new keyboard.

So I asked, politely, for them to replace just the fan and the hinge, and leave the keyboard and hard drive. The tech, who was unbelievably arrogant (saying he would "decide whether he would work with me") said that "Mack doesn't do partial repairs". It's like a car mechanic who lists a whole slew of unnecessary repairs but even worse, insists on doing it all or nothing!

Not only did I waste money buying this warranty, but I wasted money shipping my laptop there and back. They were rude and uncooperative. Avoid them, in my opinion.
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Last year I spent about an hour googling mack warranties.

I found about 100 folks with bad experiences and one with a good one.

The bad experiences stories just about always went like

"I sent my xxx in, they kept it for 10 weeks and then sent it back saying that the issue was not covered by the mack warranty"

Granted there is a selection bias towards bad outcomes, but Google convinced me.