Reading Group for Photoshop Masking & Compositing

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited September 24, 2006 in Finishing School
This is the master posting for the reading group for Katrin Eismann's book, Photoshop Masking & Compositing. The chapters of the book are listed below with the chapter writeups linked in (where we're done with them). This posting will be updated with a new link each time a new chapter writeup is done. The volunteer list for future chapter writeups is at the end of this posting. Here are the chapters in the book and the corresponding chapter writeups.

Chapter 1 - The Creative Process and Configuring Photoshop
Chapter 2 - Selection Strategies and Essentials
Chapter 3 - The Essential Select Menu
Chapter 4 - Pen Tool Power
Chapter 5 - Masks are Your Friends
Chapter 6 - Layers are Your Friends, part 1 and part 2
Chapter 7 - The Power of Layer Masking
Chapter 8 - Selecting Hair and Fine Detail
Chapter 9 - Advanced Selection Techniques
Chapter 10 - Selecting Transluncency and Green Screen Techniques
Chapter 11 - Image Execution and Photography
Chapter 12 - Photorealistic Compositing
Chapter 13 - Creative Compositing

For anyone interested in buying this book, you can get a 35% discount and free U.S. shipping by following the link and instructions here.

58933199-O.jpg

We need volunteers for the other chapters in this book. I've started things off with the writeup on the first chapter. Ideally, we'd produce writeups on one or two chapters a week with some time between to discuss them.

Who can volunteer to do writeups for other chapters in the book?

Here is the chapter volunteer list so far:

Chapter 1 - The Creative Process and Configuring Photoshop - done by jfriend
Chapter 2 - Selection Strategies and Essentials - done by pathfinder
Chapter 3 - The Essential Select Menu - gluwater volunteered
Chapter 4 - Pen Tool Power - cletus volunteered
Chapter 5 - Masks are Your Friends - pathfinder volunteered
Chapter 6 - Layers are Your Friends- Yorkie Dad volunteered
Chapter 8 - Selecting Hair and Fine Detail - jfriend volunteered
Chapter 9 - Advanced Selection Techniques - risici volunteered
Chapter 11 - Image Execution and Photography - wxwax volunteered

Folks who have volunteered for a chapter writeup, but we haven't picked a specific chapter yet:
  • DavidTo
  • Yorkie Dad (will do another chapter after his chapter 6 writeup, if we still need more volunteers)
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    jfriend wrote:

I'll take a chapter as soon as my copy arrives!
  • Yorkie DadYorkie Dad Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    I will take one
    Ordered the book today - will notify when received and chapter desired for review.

Art
    jfriend wrote:
    This is the master posting to link together the various chapter writeups and discussion threads for a reading group on Katrin Eismann's book Photoshop Masking & Compositing. I'm hoping we can find enough volunteers to write up all the interesting chapters in the book.

58933199-Th.jpg

The chapters in this book are. The chapters that are linked point to the individual chapter writeups here at dgrin.

Chapter 1 - The Creative Process and Configuring Photoshop
    Chapter 2 - Selection Strategies and Essentials
    Chapter 3 - The Essential Select Menu
    Chapter 4 - Pen Tool Power
    Chapter 5 - Masks are Your Friends
    Chapter 6 - Layers are Your Friends
    Chapter 8 - Selecting Hair and Fine Detail
    Chapter 9 - Advanced Selection Techniques
    Chapter 11 - Image Execution and Photography

For anyone interested in buying this book, you can get a 35% discount and free U.S. shipping by following the link and instructions here.

We need volunteers for the other chapters in this book. I've started things off with the writeup on the first chapter. Ideally, we'd produce writeups on one or two chapters a week with some time between to discuss them.

www.artguertin-photography.com

"There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care who gets the credit."
    - Philip Hyde (1922-2006)
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    Just let me know
    cletus wrote:
    I'll take a chapter as soon as my copy arrives!

Great. When you get the book, let me know which chapter you want that isn't already spoken for.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited March 8, 2006
    Cool
    Yorkie Dad wrote:
    Ordered the book today - will notify when received and chapter desired for review.

Great! Just let me know which one you want.

I know from doing a chapter writeup on the LAB book that the best way to really, really learn a chapter is to have to explain it to others.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    I'll order my copy before the week is out, once I get it I'll step up for one, but really, I don't care too much which one I do, just want to help, so if you have a particular chapter or two that you'd like me to do, let me know.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 8, 2006
    Cool, thanks for helping
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'll order my copy before the week is out, once I get it I'll step up for one, but really, I don't care too much which one I do, just want to help, so if you have a particular chapter or two that you'd like me to do, let me know.

Great, thanks for helping. Once you get the book, we can pick a chapter based on what others have shown an interest in.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited March 8, 2006
    I'd like to take a crack at chapter 4.
    edited March 8, 2006
    Chapter 4, it is
    cletus wrote:
    I'd like to take a crack at chapter 4.

Great, I'll sign you up for chapter 4. I'm dying to learn how to use the pen myself.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited March 8, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Great, I'll sign you up for chapter 4. I'm dying to learn how to use the pen myself.
    I've used the pen tool in Illustrator quite a bit, but I haven't used Photoshop's pen tool much. I'm looking forward to reading Katrin's coverage of it.

By the way... If anyone wants to learn Illustrator's pen tool, check out The Adobe Illustrator CS Wow! Book (I think the CS2 version of the book is out now as well.)
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 8, 2006
    If welcome, I'm in. The book has been on my shelf for some time.

Chapter 2 or Chapter 5, or both:):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited March 9, 2006
    Great, I'll mark you down for both
    pathfinder wrote:

Let's start with chapter 2 since we're waiting for someone to take that one next. If you want to take chapter 5 also, that would be great too. Thanks. Whenever you're ready with chapter 2, just post it in a new thread and I'll link it into the master chapter list.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited March 9, 2006
    Chapter 6 - Layers are your friends
    Put me down for Ch 6 and I will hope the book arrives soon.
    Thanks

"There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care who gets the credit."
    edited March 9, 2006
    Chapter 6, it is
    Yorkie Dad wrote:
    Put me down for Ch 6 and I will hope the book arrives soon.
    Thanks

I've got you down for Chapter 6, thanks for helping out.

For anyone trying to keep score here, I've got all the chapters that people have volunteered for recorded in the first message of this thread. The chapters still looking for a volunteer are 3, 7 and 9-13.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    I can take Chapter 11. My copy hasn't been delivered yet. Something about Homeland Security.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited March 9, 2006
    You're on the list for chapter 11
    wxwax wrote:
    I can take Chapter 11. My copy hasn't been delivered yet. Something about Homeland Security.

Thanks.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    I have the book. I got it, looked at it, and thought, good lord, I don't understand a word here, and threw it somewhere and had forgotten.

So, please, I will follow along, but I am having enough trouble trying to read it.

I thought you might actually do the first chapter, so I am trying to keep my mind on reading it. I can follow it, could never write it up, though. But the "discipline" ..................well, I am in here and the book is in there.

I would love to make those beautiful photos, though.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited March 9, 2006
    Follow along, ask questions
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I have the book. I got it, looked at it, and thought, good lord, I don't understand a word here, and threw it somewhere and had forgotten.

So, please, I will follow along, but I am having enough trouble trying to read it.

I thought you might actually do the first chapter, so I am trying to keep my mind on reading it. I can follow it, could never write it up, though. But the "discipline" ..................well, I am in here and the book is in there.

I would love to make those beautiful photos, though.

ginger

No problem. Follow along with the writeups. Ask questions about the stuff you don't understand. As the techiques are illustrated in the various chapters, try them yourself. Ask more questions. That's why we're doing this.

In case you didn't realize, the writeup for chapter 1 has been posted here and all the chapter writeups will be linked into the master message in this thread as they get produced.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    I hear ya Ginger. I'm in the same boat with you. You paddle and I'll row. It will be fun and we will learn a lot.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
    edited March 10, 2006
    Ready to start
    Book just arrived by UPS so it looks like an evening of enjoyable reading. I will be glad to take another chapter after I finish write-up on Ch 6 if there are still any unspoken for chapters remaining at that point in time.
    Art
    jfriend wrote:
    I've got you down for Chapter 6, thanks for helping out.

For anyone trying to keep score here, I've got all the chapters that people have volunteered for recorded in the first message of this thread. The chapters still looking for a volunteer are 3, 7 and 9-13.

edited March 10, 2006
    Happy reading
    Yorkie Dad wrote:
    Book just arrived by UPS so it looks like an evening of enjoyable reading. I will be glad to take another chapter after I finish write-up on Ch 6 if there are still any unspoken for chapters remaining at that point in time.
    Art

Great, thanks and happy reading. I'll put you on the list for future chapters after your chap. 6 writeup if we still need more volunteers at that point.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited March 10, 2006
    Any ETA on chapter 2?
    pathfinder wrote:

Pathfinder - thanks again for helping. Any idea when you'll be able to post the chapter 2 writeup? We're pretty much ready whenever you are. If you want to discuss in email, my email is in my profile.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited March 11, 2006
    Any volunteers to writeup chapter 3 to keep us going?
    jfriend wrote:
    This is the master posting to link together the various chapter writeups and discussion threads for a reading group on Katrin Eismann's book Photoshop Masking & Compositing. I'm hoping we can find enough volunteers to write up all the interesting chapters in the book.

Now that PathFinder has contributed the most excellent writeup on chapter 2, next up is chapter 3, which just happens to be one we don't yet have a volunteer for.

Can anyone volunteer to write up chapter 3, The Essential Select Menu to keep us going? After chapter 3, we've already got volunteers for 4, 5 and 6. The other open chapters are 7, 9, 12 and 13.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    Chapter 3 is like Poison Ivy around here isn't it? Well I just got my book in the mail yesterday and just started going through it but if there are no takers for chaper 3 yet I'll write it up if I can have a couple days.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited March 15, 2006
    Chapter 3 it is!
    gluwater wrote:
    Chapter 3 is like Poison Ivy around here isn't it? Well I just got my book in the mail yesterday and just started going through it but if there are no takers for chaper 3 yet I'll write it up if I can have a couple days.

Great! Thanks for taking Chapter 3. Take the time you need to give us a great writeup. We'll be looking forward to it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 15, 2006
    Mine just arrived and it's overwhelming...the number of ways one can slice
    a mask :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 17, 2006
    Just to let you know I am working on Chapter 3 but have been working lots of hours lately so I haven't finished it up yet. I'll try to get it up by Sunday night.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited March 31, 2006
    Well that took me way more time than I had expected. I finally finished the write up of Chapter 3, I do appologize for taking so long. I really salute everyone who takes the time to write up these chapter discussions, it is a lot more work than one would think. But it really is a great way to learn the material because it forces you to really read the material and create sample images.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • RisiciRisici Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 18, 2006
    im in
    Hi
    Im in. i ordered the book yesterday. She is my all time favorite author :p im ready to take 9 and afterwards, prefareply 9 (if its not lready taken).

I did buy the book with discount, and im still amazed she made that posible for us here :)

Btw for all you thats not a napp member tjeck out her site where she ha her articles for photoshop user: http://photoshopdiva.com/articles.html not ure she still updates though (the latest isnt up yet at least).

Please send me a mail with what capther i shall write about, since i might get lost in this new forum ;)

/Lasse -Risici
    edited April 18, 2006
    I have you down for chapter 9
    Risici wrote:
    Hi
    Im in. i ordered the book yesterday. She is my all time favorite author :p im ready to take 9 and afterwards, prefareply 9 (if its not lready taken).

I did buy the book with discount, and im still amazed she made that posible for us here :)

Btw for all you thats not a napp member tjeck out her site where she ha her articles for photoshop user: http://photoshopdiva.com/articles.html not ure she still updates though (the latest isnt up yet at least).

Please send me a mail with what capther i shall write about, since i might get lost in this new forum ;)

/Lasse -Risici

Thanks for taking chapter 9. I'll put you down for it and will confirm via email.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited May 31, 2006
    Has this just completely died? Is there really no interest in the rest of this book? I thought it was a very informative read and I routinely use what I learned in it.
    Nick
    nickwphoto