Options

Selling non-commissioned works to coffee shops, restaurants, etc

TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
edited March 9, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
This was asked on another forum and I realized it's something I'd like to do as well. Any advice from the pros? I'll report back to share the knowledge.

"Thinking about setting up some of my photos on consignment in local cafes.. what do I need to know? I'm looking at mpix's printing and framing services. Looks like I could do 10x13s for under $30ea printed and framed. Might be a little too small for selling at a cafe though. Should framed prints ideally be matted or does that not matter?

What's a reasonable price to ask?

Anything else I should know?"

panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
Sony F717 | Hoya R72

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    This was asked on another forum and I realized it's something I'd like to do as well. Any advice from the pros? I'll report back to share the knowledge.

"Thinking about setting up some of my photos on consignment in local cafes.. what do I need to know? I'm looking at mpix's printing and framing services. Looks like I could do 10x13s for under $30ea printed and framed. Might be a little too small for selling at a cafe though. Should framed prints ideally be matted or does that not matter?

What's a reasonable price to ask?

Anything else I should know?"

Tristan,

You have a lot of looks but no feedback. Here’s my take on it. I have been using MPIX for my outside printing, and have been satisfied, but I haven’t purchased any frames from them.

First a 10X13 seems like an odd size. Your 20D will give you an uncropped image size in a 2X3 ratio. IE: 4X6, 6X9, 12X18 etc.

Yes, I would recommend you mat your photos. You will be amazed at how much better they look mounted, and framed with a window mat.

You can play with the size of the mat, and determine what you like. One example I will give is I put my 6X9s in an 11X14 frame giving me an equal border of 2- ½ inches on all sides, and I like the way this looks. I frame my 12X18, and 13X19 (ok not exactly 2X3 ratio, but close) in a 20X26 frame. This provides an even 3-½ inches on all sides.

I have been buying my frames from Frame Destination, and have found the quality and service to be excellent. They have quite a few frame kits in the 2X3 ratio, and you can order any custom size you want for a small fee. The kits contain everything you need, frame, foamcore backing, window mat, acrylic and a hanging kit. I have standardized on simple plain black metal frames, and have both black, and white mats for a variety of print sizes.

I would encourage you to learn a little about framing methods, materials and how the different photo printing methods / materials affect print life. The basics are not all that difficult, and it will allow you to present yourself as a more knowledgeable photographer.

Unless I was going to send out a photo to a good professional frame shop I want to maintain control of the process for both quality and aesthetic reasons.

Sam
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Tristan P

Well to give you some feedback maybe if go in to business and notice their type of theme, what they currently have on the wall and maybe show them some images that would fit in and complement them. Maybe target a business that you can tell has a lack of images on the wall or stuff that is older. The reason that they haven't changed could be they haven't thought about it or actually doing it would require to much time and effort and they usually spend that energy on their business.

You may have to do some work, get them frames, etc. Realize they may be on a budget and also may worry that an expensive frame may be a waste because they anticipate it getting knocked around and potentially broken.

I recently sold a number of images to a local restaurant. I knew the owner and somehow he saw one or two of my images and mentioned something offhand about wanting to redo some of the stuff on his walls at his restaurant. I took by a large portfolio of images. He picked out what he liked and then we looked at the areas where he would want to hang them. I had previously shown him on of the images in a 24x36 print and he really wanted one that size so we did that one and 6 11x14.

I actually delivered them today. He really liked how they came out. Worked out well and I will get to put a card near them with contact info. He also mentioned that eventually he wants to do some more.

Also most small business owners know other owners , soon I will ask for some referrals, etc.

Not sure if you went in trying to cold call a business and sell an image if that would work but I think the asking permission to dispay, etc may get you in the door and then you may get a sale later. Also if I put stuff on consignment, get a good size print to show off and maybe put on a easel or in an inexpensive non-permanent frame. Saves you on the front end and they will call you about the pic, not for framing anyway. You could reuse the print and frame seperately.

Hope these ideas help. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me