Options

*Challenge 21 --- After Dark

the fistthe fist Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited September 8, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Per Andy's advice, I've attached two pictures from my "campfire" collection.

Comments/suggestions are more than welcome -- I'm quite the noob (particularly in Photoshop :scratch ) , but am anxious to learn...

These were taken on Stockton Island (part of the Apostle Islands), Wisconsin.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited September 8, 2004
    My fav...
    My brother, David
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2004
    the fist wrote:
    My brother, David
    Hi welcome fist,

I love camping and camp fire shots. I think on the first one I would have cropped it some and upt the curves/color a tad but thats just my humble opinion and I'm no expert. I really like the first one with the fire.
    lynn:D
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2004
    The second is nice, but the first one really shows that she is at a camp fire. The second could be a candle or whatever. I like the first one
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi welcome fist,

I love camping and camp fire shots. I think on the first one I would have cropped it some and upt the curves/color a tad but thats just my humble opinion and I'm no expert. I really like the first one with the fire.
    lynn:D

I was thinkin the same thing but lack the Photoshop know-how..
    Also, would you crop the top ? sides ?

I left some of the top because I wanted to show the black space, but, I agree, it could use some cropping.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2004
    the fist wrote:
    I was thinkin the same thing but lack the Photoshop know-how..
    Also, would you crop the top ? sides ?

I left some of the top because I wanted to show the black space, but, I agree, it could use some cropping.

type "c" to bring up the crop tool
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    type "c" to bring up the crop tool

Im fairly familar with Photoshop in the sense that I can crop, move, use line tools, etc. I've even been comfortable enough to use the clone tool to swap heads, amputate hands, or whatever...

What I have no idea how to use is the "adjustment" menu... I can use the bright/contrast bars, but as far as "curves" and other more advanced color options, Im totally lost...
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2004
    the fist wrote:
    Im fairly familar with Photoshop in the sense that I can crop, move, use line tools, etc. I've even been comfortable enough to use the clone tool to swap heads, amputate hands, or whatever...

What I have no idea how to use is the "adjustment" menu... I can use the bright/contrast bars, but as far as "curves" and other more advanced color options, Im totally lost...

ah, somehow my eyes saw "HOW would you crop..." now I see that it's not what you were asking.

My problem with curves is that I know enough to get by, but not enough to explain it.

What little I can explain would probably just confuse you. Hang tight, and I'm sure Andy will knock out a simple, clear tutorial on curves.

Or, even better you could get a book on Photoshop and learn more, more quickly.

I really like Scott Kelby's book Adobe Photoshop CS for Digital Photographers.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2004
    I have the full version of Photoshop 7.0 for Mac OSX--
    What is Photoshop CS ? I assume its an abridged version of the real thing but am not sure...

I agree-- a book is in my near future..

any other suggestions for Photoshop 7.0 ?