Options

20D DOF Preview Button Question

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
edited March 10, 2006 in Technique
My understanding is that pressing the DOF preview button closes the aperture while you are looking through the view finder to what it will be when you release the shutter. What I don't understand is what this is telling me or how to use it. :scratch:scratch Overall, it just seems to darken what I see according to the f stop I have set--no surprise there. I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me how they use this feature. Must be good for something...:dunno

Cheers,

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    My understanding is that pressing the DOF preview button closes the aperture while you are looking through the view finder to what it will be when you release the shutter. What I don't understand is what this is telling me or how to use it. headscratch.gifscratch Overall, it just seems to darken what I see according to the f stop I have set--no surprise there. I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me how they use this feature. Must be good for something...ne_nau.gif

Cheers,

As you have noticed, the image in the view finder gets darker. In addition to the decrease in the amount of light reaching the eye/sensor with a small aperture, the depth of field gets changes too. However, it can sometimes be hard to see that with the darkened screen, especially when hand holding the camera. So extra care must be taken to note the areas that are/are not sharp, and then toggle the button on and off to see the (sometimes) subtle changes.

If you really want to test this feature systematically, I recommend putting the camera on a tripod and setting up a scene with subjects that range from close to far. Focus midway, and then start testing the DOF preview button. It will be a lot easier to see the changes. Once you see them and recognize what is going on, it may be easier to spot in the field.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Essentially how it's useful is this: If you compose a shot, focus on your subject, and fire it at f/1.8, and then look at the screen and go "Crap, way too much OOF background" or "I needed more DOF" so you go back and shoot the frame at f/16. Look at the screen and you realize your DOF is far too deep? IF you press the DOFP button and look, it represents what your ACTUALLY DOF will be at the given aperture, instead of what you're seeing on your mirror.

God I hope that helped. Shay's right about sitting up a tripod in a well lit room, and try focusing on something like a flower or a standing cordless phone in front of a pile of junk. Then it'll be obvious.
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 9, 2006
    The secret to the depth of field preview button is that you cannot be in a hurry like most folks are today.

You must press the button, look through the viewfinder and wait - some times 15-30 seconds - for your eye to dark adapt before you begin to inspect the image for areas in and out of focus.

Think of a view camera shooter with his head underneath that black cape looking at the ground glass that will hold his film - he does not just take a quick glance, but slowly, studiously studies the image before he loads the film and opens the shutter on his $8.00 piece of film.

To use the preview button, you must emulate the view camera shooter - slow down and take the time to really LOOK through the viewfinder AFTER your eye has dark adapted. That's why Shay's suggestion to do this with the camera on a tripod is so apt.

I find the Preview button hard to use handheld.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    The secret to the depth of field preview button is that you cannot be in a hurry like most folks are today.

You must press the button, look through the viewfinder and wait - some times 15-30 seconds - for your eye to dark adapt before you begin to inspect the image for areas in and out of focus.

Think of a view camera shooter with his head underneath that black cape looking at the ground glass that will hold his film - he does not just take a quick glance, but slowly, studiously studies the image before he loads the film and opens the shutter on his $8.00 piece of film.

To use the preview button, you must emulate the view camera shooter - slow down and take the time to really LOOK through the viewfinder AFTER your eye had dark adapted. That's why Shay's suggestion to do this with the camera on a tripod is so apt.

I find the Preview button hard to use handheld.

That Sir, is really good information and good advice for all of us. "Slow down" and take the time to really see what you are looking at. Thank you
    See with your Heart
  • Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    DoF button..
    Whose brilliant idea was it to put a button on the lower left portion of the front casing? Its almost unoticeable, highly unintuitive (to me at least) and pretty much a pain to use.

I think the guy that designed that button is the same dude that insisted to the end that the Titanic was unsinkable.. The worse part of that, is that as someone who worked in the electronics industry, I can almost guarantee that if I worked for Canon and asked them this internally, they would reply, "According to our test groups, that was the best place for it..."

MainFragger/Brian
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited March 9, 2006
    The idea of that DOF preview button is an old one, as well as the choice of placement. So old in fact, that the person who made the decision on placement is probably long since dead. It's been there for about 50 years or so. They used to be a lever, then a push bar thing, and now its a button.

The up front location is related to how one used to hold a camera and stop down the lens with aperture ring. The button is then just a thumb motion away from there.

Those used to the traditional SLR's will go there naturally. I am one of those who likes it where it is.

But could it be in a better place now that the aperture ring has been
    replaced by a control dial? nod.gif

Whose brilliant idea was it to put a button on the lower left portion of the front casing? Its almost unoticeable, highly unintuitive (to me at least) and pretty much a pain to use.

I think the guy that designed that button is the same dude that insisted to the end that the Titanic was unsinkable.. The worse part of that, is that as someone who worked in the electronics industry, I can almost guarantee that if I worked for Canon and asked them this internally, they would reply, "According to our test groups, that was the best place for it..."

MainFragger/Brian
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 9, 2006
    what's a DOF preview button?

(that's a winger joke, nevermind)

I must say, I find the DOF preview on my nice bright D2H viewfinder much more useful than on all the little Canon's I had.

Good advice from PF though. Slow and steady nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited March 10, 2006
    I followed your advice, using a tripod and taking my time. I just didn't understand what to look for before. I think I get it now.

Thanks for taking the trouble to explain it to me. thumb.gifthumb I may be a bit slow but I am persistent.

Cheers,
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Now that you know what to look for, it should work for you even hand holding now :):
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I followed your advice, using a tripod and taking my time. I just didn't understand to look for before. I think I get it now.

Thanks for taking the trouble to explain it to me. thumb.gifthumb I may be a bit slow but I am persistent.

Cheers,
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    DOF preview button
    I think this can be also usefull :):

Quotation from http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/lens-flare.htm :

"VISUALIZING FLARE WITH THE DEPTH OF FIELD PREVIEW
    The appearance and position of lens flare changes depending on the aperture setting of the photo. The viewfinder image in a SLR camera represents how the scene appears only when the aperture is wide open (to create the brightest image), and so this may not be representative of how the flare will appear after the exposure. The depth of field preview button can be used to simulate what the flare will look like for other apertures, but beware that this will also darken the viewfinder image significantly.
    The depth of field preview button is usually found at the base of the lens mount, and can be pressed to simulate the streaks and polygonal flare shapes. This button is still inadequate for simulating how "washed out" the final image will appear, as this flare artifact also depends on the length of the exposure (more on this later)."

Best regards and a nice week-end.thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    I think this can be also usefull :):

Very useful!
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • Options