Options

Canon remote controls?

cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited March 12, 2006 in Accessories
Looking to pick up a remote control for use in two things:
1) longer exposures, where a traditional cable release comes in handy, and
2) portrait work, where I like to be off of the camera to get a better view.

I see that my XT can take either the wired RS-60E3 or wireless Remote Controller RC-1/ RC-5. In the first instance, I am usually behind the camera, even looking thru the viewfinder, but essentially within a few inches. In the second instance, I can be feet away from the camera.

Any experience with these? Does the wireless RC-1 / RC-5 work from behind the camera (wondering where the IR is?...or maybe it isnt IR). Advantages of either? Assume they do essentially the same thing, other than wireless being a bit more convenient and greater range.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    I bought one of these a few months back....best thing i have ever bought for my camera !!

Not something they will look at packing onto the next space shuttle but look at the price. I have stood on it & got it soaked in rain but it sitll works a charm.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    I have the TC-80N3 and I can't imagine not having it in my bag. It's lots more expensive than Gus's but it's got some cool features to it. The cord's a little short, but you can buy extension cords for it.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    I have wired remote with extension. Damn thing's freakin' loooong. My G3 has an infra red wireless remote. I found it to be inconsistent. Had to play games to make sure it was aimed correctly. Plus, from a distance, I was never sure if the camera had actually fired, couldn't hear it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    TC-80N3 sure is nice...
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I have the TC-80N3 and I can't imagine not having it in my bag. It's lots more expensive than Gus's but it's got some cool features to it. The cord's a little short, but you can buy extension cords for it.

And it has tons of extra features, but for me it could hardly justify almost 1,000% price difference: $15 vs $132 ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    I do not know about the 350, but the 300d has a little receiver on the grip below the trigger button. I found a hack once to use with omni remote on a palm but it worked from about 10 feet max and only from front on. So I bought a wired one like Gus's and have it with me all the time. If you can be bothered with a tripod, then plug a wire in thumb.gif

Stan
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    I've got the Canon RS-80N3 (see it here ), but I don't remember paying no $50 US for the thing. I use it for all my long shots (20D, MLU) - really cuts down on my huge pilot error factor (still have lots, but this gets rid of a good bit of it).

BTW - If I leave the house with the long glass, this RC comes with me as well. Always!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    I bought one of these a few months back....best thing i have ever bought for my camera !!

Not something they will look at packing onto the next space shuttle but look at the price. I have stood on it & got it soaked in rain but it sitll works a charm.

Thanks Gus, $5 looks perfect, but $15 shipping? Laughing.gif!

Thanks for the input, not sure I need to spend $100+ here, but then I have never used these.

I now see the IR reciever under the shutter button. Makes me wonder if i have to aim the remote at it, or even be facing the camera, which is odd. Good for self-portraits perhaps.
  • Options
    Diane SDiane S Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    I just bought myself a remote via the information I got from another DGrinner in the 'for sale' threads... and this EBay seller only wanted $5.00 for shipping and $8.00 for the remote.. what a deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7593198448

check it out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.dianeschafer.com