Options

New Website Concept

winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
edited March 16, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I would love your advice on a new website concept I am working on. There isn't much content in the new site, but the basic ideas are present.

Old website: http://brilliantphoton.com
New website: http://dev.brilliantphoton.com

-Winn

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Much nicer!

Missing some features of the old one, but very nice.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    nice, casual layout. easy to follow. too wide. phone in footer area very slick....maybe email link in opposite, far left, lower corner. love the way the background color changes when you've moved to a link....easy to read feedback for the user.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Front page looks great.

Weddings, etc. pages have a beatiful top - love the photo across the top and the tabs.

But after your expansive, open feeling front page, the first page of weddings, and portraits etc., feels really cramped. I realize the type is a placeholder, but a small image and a mass of type is not at all inviting. Feels like work.

Perhaps a design with more than one photo, with a sparse amount of wording threading through it? ne_nau.gif Would certainly be easier on the ol' eyes and brain.

The Galley and Pricing tabs might not be obvious enough for folks who aren't terribly proficient with the internet, and aren't aware that those tabs are what they need to hit in order to advance. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    Thanks very much for your feedback.

DavidTO: Thanks for the compliment. I hope to encorporate most of the features into the new site. All of the "pretty pictures" will now find a home in the fine art prints section. All other sections will be dedicated to the services I offer as a photographer. Website development and design is being pushed to a new site entirely.

PhotoDoug: I love the idea of an email contact on the left side of the footer. Thank you. Do you have any suggestions regarding the width of the site? I realize that I am pushing the limits of page width; I just hope I haven't gone too far.

wxwax: I agree 100%. The current weddings page has way too many words on it, and not enough photos. Can you think of any ways to make the sub navigation (gallery, pricing, etc...) more obvious?

Questions to all:

Is the website too wide?

Do you like how the background color changes when you mouse over items on the home page?

Do you like the flower on top of the weddings page, or should I cange it to a wedding ring on a hand, or a bouquet, or something more recognizably wedding-esque?

I very much value the opinions of those who frequent this forum. Thanks to those who have taken the time to help.

-Winn
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    First off excellent job with the design. I really like a design that changes schemes but retains the overall design. I will say that I think you can do better than tables for layout :D

About the site width. According to the W3C as of Jan 2006, a full 1 in 5 users are still on monitors with 800x600 resolutions. Your site is optimized for 1024x768 and on 1024x768 it looks excellent. But on 800x600, not so much. There is a lot of scrolling and nobody likes scrolling.

The Man in Blue to the rescue. You will have a MUCH easier time with changing up the widths in the stylesheet if you aren't using tables for layout.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    Mike,
    Thank you very much for your advice and research. That man in blue page is very interesting. I am excited to try that technique out.

As far as CSS vs. Tables go, I believe there is still a use for tables in certain situations. I sometimes find it difficult to create bomb-proof css that works with varying text lengths as well as font sizes. That is why I used one table with three rows to house the content of the home page. Every other aspect of the page is css.

The whole idea of CSS is to provide a clean, simple, easy to implement way to lay out a web page. I have found that in a few situations in order to use CSS, big ugly hacks replace a very simple table. I have a hard time believing that when you want a simple two column layout with a border around the page, and between the two columns that the hacks you have to implement are better than a very simple two column table.

Thanks again for your help,
    Winn
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    :D We agree to disagree about the page structure. I'll be interested to see you put the dynamic page width script to use as well thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/