Options

Miami Beach in Black and White

PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
edited September 15, 2004 in Wildlife
These are the first shots I got back from my Canon EOS 35mm Camera. It was a very fun and educational experience. 3 things I noticed right off the bat.

First...you only got 24 pics. You better think about the shot pretty hard. Then check your settings and think some more.

Second, I actually felt like a semi-professional wanna-be pro as opposed to a hobbyist. The camera just seems to give you more credibility. It also attracts a lot more attention.

Third, the smell of fresh film by your nose and the feel of the shutter are *very* addictive. I really enjoyed shooting in film.

Can't wait for the color pics to come back. I'll be heading out again later this week with B/W film and my new red filter.

The shots...(which are very poor Snapfish scans. I'll pull out better negative scans later)
8516828-M.jpg
8516835-M.jpg

Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

Comments

• Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2004

Second, I actually felt like a semi-professional wanna-be pro as opposed to a hobbyist. The camera just seems to give you more credibility. It also attracts a lot more attention.

Third, the smell of fresh film by your nose and the feel of the shutter are *very* addictive. I really enjoyed shooting in film.

Ha Ha,:D how well I know the feeling, even with all the advantages of digital my first love is my old ('69) Nikon Ftn, heavy as hell and completely manual, yet the very bulk feels SO right, and the distinctive clack of the shutter and mirror says "got it!" every time you take a picture, you _know_ you've taken it. the digital just says "zip" or something and that, in a sense, seems artificial since you can turn off the "sound effect". It's much the same sort of feeling I have about my motorcycles, both of which are vintage, ('73 and '78) yet they serve me well, even for every day use, (I ride WAY more than I drive my car)! Sometimes simple really is better, not that I’m against modern technology mind you as I am most definitely a technocrat, it’s just nice to “step back in time” on occasion. And I too, somehow feel more like a “real” photographer when I'm using it. Funny, I can’t really explain it,ne_nau.gif it’s just one of those things.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    These are the first shots I got back from my Canon EOS 35mm Camera. It was a very fun and educational experience. 3 things I noticed right off the bat.

First...you only got 24 pics. You better think about the shot pretty hard. Then check your settings and think some more.

Can't wait for the color pics to come back. I'll be heading out again later this week with B/W film and my new red filter.

The shots...(which are very poor Snapfish scans. I'll pull out better negative scans later)

The full gallery.
    How interesting! film??? hmmm... I have a lovely Minolta Maxxum 7000i that someone left me some years back and I have never used... I just got it out and it's a beautiful camera... wish I knew how to use it...wish I could find the maual...
    My question is.. what is a snapfish scan...
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins

8516828-M.jpg

8516836-M.jpg

The full gallery.
    Hi, if you could get contrast into these, I think they are very good pictures. Snapshots are not taken in black and white anymore, blk and white says serious stuff, smile.

When I had my Nikon, the latest, biggest, most advanced, SOB, well, I could get all the film I wanted as the studio where my husband worked gave it away to the schools. And they gave me free printing. So I was set up for digital from the start. I would hate to go back to "counting" every shot. That is one reason I hate a tripod so much.

I had another pro type Nikon for years. I wouldn't go back, love the digital era, knew I would. But there is a nostalgia. Mine is for the smell of the darkroom. Loved that smell. My husband was a medical photographer in the Navy, he says he hated the darkrooms. The smell was the worst thing for him, and one of my fond memories.

Also, I loved "giving birth" to pictures. That was the feeling I had, actually. And I should know, got my darkroom,with my first experience in one, when I was almost 9 months pregnant with my fourth child. He now designs webs..........always was creative. Maybe it was that darkroom smell.

I can relate to the clunk. Yes, that brings back memories, too.

Enjoy your camera, use photoshop to get some contrast into the photos.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Maybe they just need a deep black. I am certainly not an expert. Never was, loved the smell of the darkroom, but didn't spend much time working a photo, wanted to be a photojournalist. Shoot fast and get the job done.

g (I really do think those photos have possibility, ask Andy or someone if they need contrast, or if it is just the lack of deep blacks. ????? I don't want to steer you wrong.)
  • Options
    lynnma wrote:
    How interesting! film??? hmmm... I have a lovely Minolta Maxxum 7000i that someone left me some years back and I have never used... I just got it out and it's a beautiful camera... wish I knew how to use it...wish I could find the maual...
    My question is.. what is a snapfish scan...
    Thanks for the comments everyone! Sorry for the vague Snapfish reference, lynnma. I had these developed at www.snapfish.com. They scan your film and put it inline as soon as it's developed for impatient people like me :D. Unfortunately, the quality of the scan tends to be very washed out and lacking in contrast. The prints that arrive later in the mail normally leave me much happier with my shots thumb.gif

As soon as I get the negatives, I'll scan them and pull out some better range.

Thanks again!
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2004

I know exactly what you mean. I took my new Holga on the road. Only 12 frames per roll, at medium format size. I really had to consider each shot carefully before taking it. Would that I applied the same discipline to shooting with the digital - I'd make far fewer bonehead mistakes.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwax wrote:
    I know exactly what you mean. I took my new Holga on the road. Only 12 frames per roll, at medium format size. I really had to consider each shot carefully before taking it. Would that I applied the same discipline to shooting with the digital - I'd make far fewer bonehead mistakes.
    I would get fewer good shots. That is an old "discussion". Back in the seventies my father and I would discuss it. He thought his first shot should be THE shot, I took as many as I wanted to develope and had film for.

Reading the magazines from the shooting pros, present and past, I read both theories.

I am used to, even before digital, long before digital, taking different views and exposures of my subject (s), then I actually feel that some of the skill is in the editing and shot choice from what was shot.

Other people have everything set............ used to be a bigger camera, often, and it is one or two shots, max.

I shoot to warm up. Kind of like warming up in a sport, the more I continuously shoot the better my shots seem to get. I am not alone in this, we all have our different styles. I have been comfortable with mine. It is difficult to change. For many reasons: one I don't know what I am doing.

So, if restricted, by film I had to pay for, or by not having enough memory, I would definitely end up with a picture missed, maybe my best picture. Of course, I wouldn't know that, would I.

g
  • Options
    It's confirmed, the lens on the 35mm camera is screwed. It shoots really hazy shots and upon closer inspection, the coating on the front is worn and nearly gone. I tested it in my 'new' camera and it was conclusive. But I'll talk more about that camera in a new thread thumb.gif

It really bothers me that someone wouldn't take care of their lens. Ah well. Even more surprising is that the prior owner used to store the camera in a bag upright with no lens protector. I'm a noob and I even know it goes 'lens down' with the cover always on. No?

Thanks for the comments guys. Hopefully I'll be able to rescue those pics via the negatives. Glad I didn't blow more film on a bad lens.

Time to get the 50mm 1.4 Prime methinks :)