Options

Position (saved order) of the albums are messed up

gooseattackgooseattack Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited April 22, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I'm not sure why, but the order of the albums are messed up - this happens it both categories and subcategories.

I understand that you guys have changed the positioning feature, which is awesome. You do not have to change the positions in the main page anymore. But instead, you can go to each category and sub-category and arrange the order of the albums. This is a plus.

However, I do not know why this incident is happening. Since I uploaded some new photos from Star Explorer (created new gallery), the albums would get all mixed up. I try to re-arrange them to the order/position that it was before (chronological order). But when I upload more gallery, the same thing happens. The order of all the albums gets all mixed up and out of place.

I'm not sure if this is because when creating a new gallery, Star Explorer allows the user to enter the position. There is a field where you enter a position, and each gallery has a unique position. Does this have something to do with why the position of the gallery (on my smugmug website) switching around and getting messed up without a logical order?

Thank you,
Lucy Cohen
www.gooseattack.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    I'm not sure why, but the order of the albums are messed up - this happens it both categories and subcategories.

I understand that you guys have changed the positioning feature, which is awesome. You do not have to change the positions in the main page anymore. But instead, you can go to each category and sub-category and arrange the order of the albums. This is a plus.

However, I do not know why this incident is happening. Since I uploaded some new photos from Star Explorer (created new gallery), the albums would get all mixed up. I try to re-arrange them to the order/position that it was before (chronological order). But when I upload more gallery, the same thing happens. The order of all the albums gets all mixed up and out of place.

I'm not sure if this is because when creating a new gallery, Star Explorer allows the user to enter the position. There is a field where you enter a position, and each gallery has a unique position. Does this have something to do with why the position of the gallery (on my smugmug website) switching around and getting messed up without a logical order?

Thank you,
    Lucy Cohen
    www.gooseattack.com

Hi Lucy,

It's a good question and I'll ask Nik to comment.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Lucy,

Thank you,
    Lucy Cohen
    www.gooseattack.com

Thank you for being S*E user and thank you for the question!
    Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of comments on this particular deal. ne_nau.gif

Position field is a part of Smugmug-provided API, and all S*E does in this case is allows you to populate this field and submit it along with the rest of the request. The interpretation of this data, however, is completely and totally in hands of Smugmug server. I hope OneThumb or JT can provide more help on this.

Not sure if this helps, but this is how far I can go...rolleyes1.gif

Good luck, and let me know if you have more concerns about S*E!

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    gooseattackgooseattack Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Thank you guys for the prompt reply. Just to be specific, I did not use Star Explorer to upload all my galleries. I would say half of my galleries were created and uploaded on the Smugmug website itself. I later purchased Star Explorer and started uploading albums using the "position" field that users can fill-in. For months and on, this worked completely fine. Around the beginning of this year, I realized that Smugmug has changed the arrangement/positioning feature so that users can change positions for their categories, sub-categories, and album (instead of hundreds of albums all listed in the positioning page). I didn't have any problems then either, and it went on fine for a month or two...so, I'm not sure if the problem is caused by Star Explorer's "position" feature. Actually, I didn't have any problems until this morning when I realized the orders of my subcategories and albums were all messed up.

To be more specific, every was acting very weird without any logic, and sometimes sporadically. For example, go to my webisite at www.gooseattack.com. Because I sort my folders chronologically, I noticed that somehow "2005 Oct-Dec" moved after "2006 Jan-Mar"

So, I go to my main smugmug page and moved "2005 Oct-Dec" before "2006 Jan-Mar". After arranging the sub-categories correctly. I clicked on the "2005 Oct-Dec" and realize that all the orders in there were messed up as well. So, for example, I try to re-arrange and put "Halloween Parties" before "Christmas at the Ranch". After saving it, I go back to my main gooseattack page, and now the "2005 Oct-Dec" is now position at the last album again. Remember earlier I have positioned it before "2006 Jan-Mar", but after arranging the albums in the sub-categories page, the entire "2005 Oct-Dec" sub-category is now after "2006 Jan-Mar".

Another issue is that I wasn't be able to save some albums in th correct order. For example, this page:

http://gooseattack.smugmug.com/2006 JAN - MAR/150814

I originally had followed a chronological order:
    1. Fun Night at Vicci (1/15/05)
    2. Following Drunk Jamie Around (1/27/05)
    3. Hangin' with Liz and Jarrett (2/10/05)

After the unexplainable "mess up" incident, the order becomes:
    1. Following Drunk Jamie Around (1/27/05)
    2. Hangin' with Liz and Jarrett (2/10/05)
    3. Fun Night at Vicci (1/15/05)

So, I clicked on "Arrange" and put the order back to this order:
    1. Fun Night at Vicci (1/15/05)
    3. Hangin' with Liz and Jarrett (2/10/05)

It saved. But, sometimes it didn't save even after I clicked "Save Changes" (happened in another folder as well). This seems quite sporadic.

So it saved to the order I wanted. But, I go back to my main home screen and then try to re-arrange the sub-categories of another album. Say I tried to go to http://gooseattack.smugmug.com/2005 JUL - SEP (order is messed up) and clicked on "The Metamorphasis of Jamie" (order of this folder is also messed up, so I try to re-arrange). I try to put "Yellow Rose" (7/21/05) before "A New Chapter" (8/29/05) because I am trying to sort them Chronologically.

Now, I click back to the gooseattak main page again. Somehow "2005 Jul-Sep" ends up on the bottom of the list again.

Now, when I go to this page http://gooseattack.smugmug.com/2006 JAN - MAR I realize that wrong picture is showing for the "Downtown Wild Nights" The picture shown here is "Hangin' with Liz and Jarrett", which is supposed to be last on on the list.

So I clicked on "Downtown Wild Nights" http://gooseattack.smugmug.com/2006 JAN - MAR/150814 and then noticed the order has illogically change to this, and I haven't done anything:
    1. Hangin' with Liz and Jarrett (2/10/05)
    3. Fun Night at Vicci (1/15/05)

Can someone please tell me why this is happening?...

Back few months ago, there was a "Position" page that lists ALL the albums. I believe that each album has a very specific, unique position number. Is there any way to get to that page so that I can modify the position of my albums? I think the idea of the current way to organize abums is smart, but it wouldn't help if it doesn't work.

Hopefully Smugmug to resolve this as much as possible. If you guys have more questions I would be more than willing to answer, it's just frustrating to change positions over and over again, saving it, and losing it again.

Thank you for all your help,
    Lucy Cohen
  • Options
    wslamwslam Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    I am having the same prob. Saved order gets lost. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    wslam wrote:
    I am having the same prob. Saved order gets lost. rolleyes1.gif

I have the same problem!

I posted a question about it last week but got no answer.

It's a complete nightmare as mine are wedding galleries which MUST show in a specific order... it looks seriously unprofessional if they order keeps changing, and if I can't somehow put a stop to it, I'll have to find another image host.
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    has nothing to do with star explorer.... the old confusing way we had to sort the galleries in order to get our sites to look the way we want has been covered up.

The smugmug owners interface was recently modified to allow us to arrange the galleries within each category. We can also arrange the categories on the home page. This makes sense to most humans now and works great. Problem is the underlying design was not changed and when you create a new gallery, it seems to be put at some random point in the gallery order, and thus messes up the order of your categories and galleries. I have had this problem too, but I have been going in and fixing the order of my site whenever I create new galleries.

Andy mentioned yesterday (I believe) that they were working on a fix.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2006
    dmc wrote:

Andy mentioned yesterday (I believe) that they were working on a fix.

nod.gif
  • Options
    luvscotlandluvscotland Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2006
    I just emailed the help desk again about this and they promptly got back with me and said they will look into it. There are quite a few threads here dealing with this same problem. I have been having this problem for a couple months now. I can sympathize with everyone because my gallery looks a mess too. :cry
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Quite a few threads? I think Andy has pointed me to only one other :) But seriously - please tell me what you are doing and what the expected behavior is. Thanks!
    I just emailed the help desk again about this and they promptly got back with me and said they will look into it. There are quite a few threads here dealing with this same problem. I have been having this problem for a couple months now. I can sympathize with everyone because my gallery looks a mess too. :cry