Options

Reflector howto, industri photography tips...

VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited March 18, 2006 in Technique
I had a job last week. Photographing a family with there bankman. The sun where at the top of the sky and did very harsh edges, and the face where terrible. On alot of picture I shot got blown highlights!! But did get some pictures where I could blend two RAW images togheter and get a nice blend. I hope the AD will like the pictures so I get more jobs...

Well my qeustion is about reflectors. How do I know where to place the reflector to get a more even and soft light? Is there any "how to use a reflector" our there?

Im going to take picture at a industri next week(portrait). I dont know how the lightning going to be. But I supose it is tungsten lightning... Any tips in industri photography? How should I use a flash? I cant bounce it in the roof.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    I had a job last week. Photographing a family with there bankman. The sun where at the top of the sky and did very harsh edges, and the face where terrible. On alot of picture I shot got blown highlights!! But did get some pictures where I could blend two RAW images togheter and get a nice blend. I hope the AD will like the pictures so I get more jobs...

Well my qeustion is about reflectors. How do I know where to place the reflector to get a more even and soft light? Is there any "how to use a reflector" our there?

Im going to take picture at a industri next week(portrait). I dont know how the lightning going to be. But I supose it is tungsten lightning... Any tips in industri photography? How should I use a flash? I cant bounce it in the roof.

I would just have an assistant move the reflector into different positions until it is only filling what I need to have filled and with digital a couple of test shots don't hurt....because those that use film will shot a poloroid of it and then you have to wait on that to develope.
    I would suggest using either gold or white reflectors not silver as silver makes light way too harsh in my opinon....that is for people...if it is machinery, products and such then a silver would probly be alright.

I use a lumniquest diffuser and add between 1 and 1 1/3 stop to my exposure comp....there have also been times I have had to add 1 or 2 stops to the flash comp ...best theing is to do some tests in a similar situation......around house, a mall, department store......just think of where you can get similar lighting...doesn't have to be exact.....

If you can't use a light meter to meter the shots on location, then I would suggest shooting on program and letting the camera and flash do the work...but still you will have to add some to exposure comp so you don't have to work so hard in Post Process.

Good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    icant haveassistant!