D70 vs. 300d vs. *ist D

2»

Comments

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    Funny people caught on this off-topic and did not reply to my "1Ds+Mark II" comment. headscratch.gif

I was not going to go there and knock Nikon and praise Canon, but Nikon is definitely missing the boat in the pro arena. No FF sensor, the D1x max res of 5.5? uniterpolated is behind both the 1D mkII and 1Ds. They come out with the D2H which to me equals a modernized 1D (faster ram, nicer user features) when Canon shortly there after comes out with the mk II.

I jumped ship over two years ago. I was a die hard Nikon users. I had six film bodies and and array of fast glass. I took a long hard look and my industry was going digital with or without me. I think if I waited I would have been left in the dust. I was a very happy Nikon user, never even wanted to look at a Canon camera, until the 1Ds and no new camera on the horizon from Nikon. I left and have not looked back. It took a while to recoup my costs and I miss my Nikon's but they were not up to the job I needed them to do. I was a manual focus shoot with the Nikons (owned all AF gear, but never used it), since I started with Canon is has been an almost complete reversal, I shoot almost all AF now. Canon works great for me and I have been very happy. When I bought my camera and a friend compared the 1Ds files to his D1x, he sold all his gear the next day and bought a full Canon outfit. He too is glad he made the choice to not stick with Nikon. I feel Nikon brought this upon themselves, many others have made the same move. I do not think too many have gone Canon to Nikon recently.

At this point zero-zero it is a tough call. You have really waited. I would look at Photokina and see what happens. If Nikon does not release a new pro body and Canon does, that might be all the spark you need. Who knows Nikon may come out with the best camera and sensor yet (maybe something Foveon-like that really works at all ISO's and high mpx). It is impossible to know. I wish they would, even if they did it would not bring me back to Nikon. I do not know if I will ever go back, my current 1DmkII's do the job I need them too. Now that the mkII's are out I may even sell the 1Ds and either not replace it, or if they come out with a revised 1Ds get that. All I can say is I and a friend I work a lot with made the switch and have not looked back. If Nikon were to not release anything in the next year I would think you would be happy too. It was a big first step for me, but it has worked out and continues to be the right path for me. At the very least Nikon should divulge it's future production plans to keep the users they have, before the rest jump ship, perhaps it is a sign they are having difficulty creating what they want? ne_nau.gif

Good luck with your decision. Let me know if you have any questions I can help answer. I think the future will be bright with both Nikon and Canon, just a question of when and what.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 13, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    Could be the smog cover. All those cigar smokers are really clouding the sun, you know. Or maybe my concept of "sunny" is too lax, living in northern Spain (very different from the topical south). :D

Whatever it is, it happens with any camera or meter. If the sun is out, f11. To use f16 it has to look like Baywatch is on.

Funny people caught on this off-topic and did not reply to my "1Ds+Mark II" comment. headscratch.gif
    rolleyes1.gif Sorry Z-Z -- I missed your comment about the 1DMkll. I have had mine about a month and the thing I really like about it besides its great autofocus, and great expoisure meter, is that the 1000 ISO is so useable. Much better noise wise than 800 film ever was - or even 400 film. I think most of my night shots here
    http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/185966/1/7139496

were shot at ISO 1000. Now that is really cool!clap.gif I have turned into a vampire for photography, running around at night shooting pictures - something I never did before.

This is beginning to sound like a mea culpa thread, but I too was a long time Nikon user, FM3a body and Nikon lenses - never really was an AF user either.
    I jumped ship to the white lenses last summer with the 10D, and the Canon glass just keeps sucking me in. And I don't miss the Nikon line either. I should sell my Nikon stuff, but it is hard to let go I guess. Hah I still own an Olympus OM-2 and assorted glass for it too. I need to clean out my photographic closet I think. Might get enuf to get me some more L glass.1drink.gif

But if you already own a lot on Nikon glass, replacement costs can be substantial, but I doubt that Canon lenses will be any cheaper in the future as Canon gains more and more pro users.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    Waxy, Patch's post really nailed it - the pro lineup on the Nikon front is looking rather dismal right now. The only truly pro camera they have released in a long time is the D2h and that's too little, too late. Back in the film days about 80% of the photogs I know around me used Nikon gear, but now I'm estimating only 30% do so, noting that NONE of them are news guys and that most are making do with either the D1x or pro-am cameras like the D70. Yes, the leapfrogging will happen eventually, but we've waited for too long without new stuff.

I really need a pro camera that I can use in my studio, but my D1x files pale in comparison to Patch's 1Ds. And if I want action, I'm offered a meager 4 megapixels in a horribly noisy d2h? the excuse is that newspaper guys are fine with that size, but we do nature magazines and posters and 4 Mp is just not enough for us. Meanwhile, Canon lures me with a very refined Mark II that offers everything I need and then some. The only reason I’ve waited so long is that I’m now shooting less than before, with the graphic design section of my studio keeping me busy, but this I know: if Nikon doesn’t show up at Photokina with a really, really sweet pro-caliber body that will blow at least either the Mark II or the 1Ds to dust, it’s not only me that is going to jump ship: check the pro forums and you will see that this is the most awaited Photokina in years. We have already abandoned hope of seeing a new camera that will do big files and a fast rate, given how recent the D2h is, but at least we need a D2x, or Nikon’s sales are going to suffer big time in the pro segment. ne_nau.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    Great posts, very informative. Patch has told me a few times about his conversion. Z-Z, thanks for the education about the issues with the d1x and d2h.

As an amateur, I find myself lusting after the high ISO/low noise that Pathfinder mentions. File size isn't as important. Yet.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    To a point, it's a give and take. If I have to fill one page with a file that's bigger than I need, I can live with a bit of noise or other problems as I'm gonna throw away some info anyway. If I use a small file, every pixel counts, and you want them as clean and trouble-free as they come. But when the file is as big and as clean as those a 1Ds can produce, it's time for us Nikonians to go home.

Of course, this quality vs quantity balance comes as a surprise to some guys that think their 8 megapixel point-and-shoot can outperform a 5.5 D1x, without realizing that not all pixels are created equal. That's what's saving our butts now.

Amusing totally unrelated fact: A Canon G2 (older, but still a great performer) will show at ISO 200 more noise than a D1x at ISO 1600. I checked a couple weeks ago using Noise Ninja.
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    To a point, it's a give and take. If I have to fill one page with a file that's bigger than I need, I can live with a bit of noise or other problems as I'm gonna throw away some info anyway. If I use a small file, every pixel counts, and you want them as clean and trouble-free as they come. But when the file is as big and as clean as those a 1Ds can produce, it's time for us Nikonians to go home.

Of course, this quality vs quantity balance comes as a surprise to some guys that think their 8 megapixel point-and-shoot can outperform a 5.5 D1x, without realizing that not all pixels are created equal. That's what's saving our butts now.

Amusing totally unrelated fact: A Canon G2 (older, but still a great performer) will show at ISO 200 more noise than a D1x at ISO 1600. I checked a couple weeks ago using Noise Ninja.
    I can believe that, my 8080 shows a lot of noise at 200, I've seen a few shots on here at 1600 that are much cleaner!
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2004
    Just an update. I got the 300d. It arrived today and I got the kit on ebay for $750. I was upset 'cuz someone on FM later posted a full kit plus grip for $700 :cry But any-who...

First impressions? To put it bluntly "Holy S**t!, This camera rocks!" This camera is more than enough for the next year or two. Can't wait to enter challenges now. :)

Only gripe....it has nearly 50,000 shutter actuations. But the camera is in flawless condition. One would think it was brand new. Not a single scratch, dent or flaw anywhere to be found. Focus is spot-on and FAST! And I can't believe people complain about the startup or write time. After using an A70 this thing is like a rocket thumb.gif

Get ready for all the noob 300d questions.mwink.gif And thanks to everyone for the input and help they offered. I had considered the 20d, but I just don't have that kinda cash.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2004
    Congrats, PDG! That's a huge step-up you've made. I really look forward to seeing what shots it will produce in your hands, as you get used to what it can do. Are you eyeing additional lenses?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • TaffTaff Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2004
    Have you seen the new D2X, I was about to change to Canon, but I'm going to wait a wee while.
    I've already got a D100 and a D70 but want something quicker/better!