Moving Images Between Galleries

PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
edited September 17, 2004 in SmugMug Support
At the present moment, one must click on a drop-down box for each image. This is very time consuming for large galleries. May I recommend the following?

Display check boxes beside the images. At the bottom, put a drop-down box along with the submit button. Once submitted, all checked images go to that gallery. Additionally, it would be nice to have a "Check all" button to auto-select all images before moving.
Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

Comments

• onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    At the present moment, one must click on a drop-down box for each image. This is very time consuming for large galleries. May I recommend the following?

Display check boxes beside the images. At the bottom, put a drop-down box along with the submit button. Once submitted, all checked images go to that gallery. Additionally, it would be nice to have a "Check all" button to auto-select all images before moving.

I'm positive we can do even better than this. Don't hold your breath, but I've got some ideas... :)

Don
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    Thanks for the reply! :D Anything would be helpful really. I recently thought of a better way to organize my pics and moving them has rendered my right index finger unconscious. rolleyes1.gif

Seriously though, I'm sure this will help many others down the road. Thanks again.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

edited August 27, 2004
    Thanks for the reply! :D Anything would be helpful really. I recently thought of a better way to organize my pics and moving them has rendered my right index finger unconscious. rolleyes1.gif

Seriously though, I'm sure this will help many others down the road. Thanks again.

There's a "preview" of the new tool up on the website now. Check out "Split NEW!" and imagine it's also a move tool. That portion is in testing now, but no promises as to a release date.

Any feedback about the Split tool, though, might be helpful for perfecting the unified move/split tool.

Don
    edited August 30, 2004
    It works fine if you're splitting the gallery up.

In my case, it didn't help since I was trying to move images from an existing gallery into another existing gallery in order to consolidate a bit.

edited August 31, 2004
    I found a quick way to do this and save a bunch of double-clicking.

Take the destination Gallery (where you're moving everything to) and assign it a really strange name, preferably something like "Q Gallery". The only reason I named mine Q was because I didn't have any other galleries starting with that letter so pressing it on the keyboard guaranteed jumping to the right one. Keep readin' to understand.

Now navigate to the gallery you wish to move (and eventually delete) and select the "Move Images Between Galleries" dropdown.

Instead of clicking the drop-down for each image, press tab and then "Q" on your keyboard. Then tab, Q. Repeat this really really fast and you'll be done in no time.
    Tab, Q
    Tab, Q
    Tab, Q
    keep on going til you reach the end thumb.gif and press Move. Then rename your destination gallery from Q Gallery to whatever you want.

edited September 1, 2004
    It works fine if you're splitting the gallery up.

In my case, it didn't help since I was trying to move images from an existing gallery into another existing gallery in order to consolidate a bit.

This is exactly why I said "imagine it's a move tool" ... There's one in the works that combines split and move. We're making sure it's a good fit.

:)

Don
    edited September 17, 2004
    onethumb wrote:
    This is exactly why I said "imagine it's a move tool" ... There's one in the works that combines split and move. We're making sure it's a good fit.

:)

Don

Tool's in the wild now. Like it? Solve this problem? Can it be improved?

Don
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    That's much better...
    Thanks thumb.gif
    It's absolutely bloody perfect! iloveyou.gif