Sometimes we just get lucky

FroggyFroggy Registered Users Posts: 610 Major grins
edited March 21, 2006 in Wildlife
Being in the right place at the right time, I couldn't believe how close this bird let me get to him / her.

60495629-L.jpg

60495639-L.jpg

60497360-L.jpg

60498072-L.jpg

60498077-L.jpg
Looking for the weekend, see my images at the location below, please leave a comment if you like what you see, I would love to hear from you.:):

http://froggy.smugmug.com/

Comments

• RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Most excellent! Very nice set of Red-tail shots. While you may have been lucky to be in the right place at the right time... it took skill to take sharp, well exposed captures! thumb.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 20, 2006
    The pose of him perching on the rock is great - don't usually get to see that! Branch shots are a dime a dozen, this one stands out! thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• FroggyFroggy Registered Users Posts: 610 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    The pose of him perching on the rock is great - don't usually get to see that! Branch shots are a dime a dozen, this one stands out! thumb.gif

You have a keen eye for detail, I like that shot the most too, The unusual shots always make me smile a little harder.

Thanks for the compliments Gentlemen.

Steve
    Looking for the weekend, see my images at the location below, please leave a comment if you like what you see, I would love to hear from you.:):

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Excellent raptor shots Steve with outstanding detail. I think you may have been a tad aggressive in your sharpening (hard to say for sure).
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited March 20, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Excellent raptor shots Steve with outstanding detail. I think you may have been a tad aggressive in your sharpening (hard to say for sure).

Amount 150, Radius .08, Threshold 0

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 20, 2006
    Wow, incredible captures. clap.gif
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    kdog wrote:
    Wow, incredible captures. clap.gif

I bow in silence for such shots! Well done... I am finding the same as one of the previous posters that the sharpening is on the edge, but it does not take anything away from the artistry of shots like this!
    I liked them, and enjoyed looking at the fierce bird...
    edited March 20, 2006
    Thanks for the encouraging words, I'll try backing down the USM just a tad, my monitor is a dinasour so you probably seeing what I'm not.

Thanks very much all, I think this bird was a model at the studio's, it was a truely amazing experience to capture the beauty of this bird.

I'm totally addicted to the raptors, I'm spellbound at the sheer cunning and eyesight of these predators, Love em!!.

Thanks Again

Steve

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Froggy wrote:
    Thanks for the encouraging words, I'll try backing down the USM just a tad, my monitor is a dinasour so you probably seeing what I'm not.

Thanks very much all, I think this bird was a model at the studio's, it was a truely amazing experience to capture the beauty of this bird.

I'm totally addicted to the raptors, I'm spellbound at the sheer cunning and eyesight of these predators, Love em!!.

Thanks Again

Steve

HAHAHAHA! Well, raptors hate me, and they hate my car, they hate everything I represent. I am an environmentalist, but they probably hate my politics! So, we are no longer having a love/hate relationship here, me and my raptor (the osprey family down the road, only raptor I have "captured", as they are "nest bound"). I am going to aggressively stalk mine a bit, when I get around to it. I see they are home again after wintering elsewhere.

I agree with photocat, I bow before you and your shots! Your skill stayed steady! Even with the excitement you must have felt. Wonderful shots! Just wonderful!

Oh, some shots do appear a bit over sharpened, but others do not. I would be selective in which shots you sharpen less and which more. The ones I noticed as being over sharpened are where the bird is still, probably they were totally sharp in the first place, smile. Just a thought. They are all still wonderful!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • robert mccanerobert mccane Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Most excellent! Very nice set of Red-tail shots. While you may have been lucky to be in the right place at the right time... it took skill to take sharp, well exposed captures! thumb.gif
    very good shot you can see the look in his eyeclap.gif
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    very nice lucky or not thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Nice going, Steve. thumb.gif
    It sure is nice to be impressed like this after being away from my computer monitor for a little while. BTW it takes skill to know when Luke is lucky:D
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Russ
  • vandanavandana Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Wow ! these are awfully cool ! great detail and sharpness thumb.gifthumb
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    I cant get over the Great shots I keep seeing here, you all must really Love your birds, these are so cool. I admore your patience and steady hand, These are Just Wild, and so Crisp and well composed.